Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunbooks, can u suggest some?

Gunbooks, can u suggest some?

I am interested reading gun books and learning more about them. My gun library is meager. Can u guys kindly suggest some? many thanks
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Boolit Master

depends on interests

Ivan,
    For cabin fever I imagine? W AK specifically SW AK has to be one the most special places on the planet, IMO.

All tastes differ. There are a bunch of books on military/paramilitary arms. Then there are many on accurate and super-accurate rifles. Then more on handguns, shotguns, old guns, different makes, etc. etc.

A few I constantly scan, read and use because of my tastes include but not limited to:

Hatcher's Notebook by Julian Hatcher
    Buffalo Rifles by Mike Venturino
    Lever Guns by Mike Venturino
    Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes
    The Winchester Book by George Madis
    Flayderman's Guide by Norm Flayderman
    Winchester, American Legend by RL Wilson

Various specific model reference books by: Poyer, Pirkle and Riesch

.... and many more

Moderator Emeritus
    Ivan, I was going to stay out of this one but, seeing as how you have opened the can of worns; here goes.

If you wish to learn more, about which aspect of firearms and shooting were you speaking. As '405' listed above there are a great many books on shooting just lurking out there..............some where.

Some of those on my bookshelf are;

'Yours Truly' by Harvey Donaldson
    'The Sharp Shooter' by Matt & Bruce Grant (JeffinNZ may be able to help on this one)
    'Target Rifle Shooting' by Major E.G.B. Reynolds & Robin Fulton
    'The Home guide to Cartridge Conversions' by George C. Nonte Jr.
    'Modern Handloading' by Maj. George C. Nonte Jr.
    'Shotguns & Shooting' by Tony Jackson
    Most books written by Paul Matthews on BPCR.
    Wolfe's Gunsmithing Tips & Projects
    Frank De HAAS Books on Single Shot Rifle

and on and on and on...................

If you have a specific line you wish to take, it would be easier to suggest something because if you follow a whim, you will spend all your 'Hard earned's' on filling the library.

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In Remebrance

Everything by Elmer Keith, Phil Sharpe, Ned Roberts, CS Landis, Townsend Whelen, PO Ackley, Ed Crossman. That'll get you started. Google "The Firearms Classics Library" and check those titles. The list of good books runs into the hundreds. What specific areas interest you?

Boolit Master
    Any of Pete Capstick's books are good hunting reads. George Nonte had some good gun books out as well.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Grand Master

Also invest in a Old Lyman/ Ideal reloading Catalog reprint if you are intersted in shooting antique firearms.

Boolit Grand Master

I was lucky enough to buy the Firearms Classic Library a few years back for $50. I got them from an Ex Wife who insisted I take them, 28 books, for that price. She alos insisted that i TELL her EX what I paid!
    If you are interested in Cowboy guns all of Venturino's books, Joe DeRosa's tooo.

Boolit Buddy
    Cornell Publishers have LOTS of quality reprints. Abby is great to deal with!

(Also old Lyman/Ideal reloading catalog reprints).

http://www.cornellpubs.com/

Boolit Master
    We have a couple for sale. One is a clasic, "The Rifle in America" by Phil Sharpe reprint by NRA. Hard cover leather bound new condition, sale or trade $50.00.
    "Encyclapedia of buffalo hunters" by Leo Remiger and Miles Gilbert, hard cover new condition, sale or trade $25.00
    BIC/BS

If your taste runs to hunting, I've just posted 18 books in the classifieds.

gizmo

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Not yet mentioned:

"No Second Place Winner" Bill Jordan

"The Accurate Rifle" Warren Page

And when you've gotten your fill of reality, anything written by Patrick F. McMannus. You'll be rolling on the floor.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    They are out of print, but good, concise references to about everything made up to about 50 years ago are "Pistols--A Modern Encyclopedia" and "Rifles--A Modern Encyclopedia" by Henry M. Stebbins. Of course, they say nothing about wondernines, sheet-metal and plastic autoloaders, short-, medium-, long- and ultralong Ultra-Mags, or anything "tactical." This information gap seems to keep the prices of these books low in used-book stores. They are thus a bargain for those who admire obsolescent hardwood-and-steel firearms.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 for the Venturino books on Lever Guns and Buffalo Rifles.

I have been told repeatedly that Capstick was not a professional hunter
    and used other people's stories for his books. True or not, they are well
    written and enjoyable. I guess the key is to take them with a grain of
    salt.

"Sixguns and their cartridges" - Elmer Keith - lots of still very valid info on
    getting good results from revolvers.
    "African Rifles & Cartridges" - John Taylor - great info on cartridges and rifles
    and not only the big honkers, from an experienced African hunter.
    "Handgun Hunting" - George Nonte, Jr.

"The Art of the Rifle" - Jeff Cooper, small and short, but good basic technique
    information.

"The Gun and Its Development" by W. W. Greener is a large work and can be
    pretty dry, but is a good look at the history. Early book; Mauser 98 is barely
    mentioned - too new! Mostly prior to about 1880s. Only worth buying if a
    good deal as a basic reference.

"Wild Bill Hickock: Gunfighter" by Ross - Ross is the best biographer of Hickock,
    and has written several good books on Wild Bill. All are worth reading. Hickock
    was an unusual and amazing man, worth separating the stories from the facts.

"Buffalo Days" - J. W. Hunt, real stories from an actual buffalo hunter, a reprint
    of a long gone book. State House Press,McMurray University, Abilene, TX

Lots more out there, I'll be taking notes from the other guys.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 11-11-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Keep em coming

I love guns, history hunting, and reading. I am going to print this list and read the ones that sound interesting.

many thanks to all
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Moderator Emeritus

If you're impressionable, and subject to the power of suggestion, do NOT ... I repeat NOT ... get a copy of Mic McPherson's "Accurizing the Factory Rifle." It'll give ya' ideas, an' th' next thing ya' know, you'll be hooked on modifying and accurizing and customizing all yer guns.

A 2nd vote for "Yours Truly, Harvey Donaldson," and I'd also suggest the two Annuals put out by Precision Shooting magazine. Those annuals have both technical and human interest subjects, and are very nice reads as well as good technical advice.

From the NRA's Firearms Classic Library, my own personal favorite is Dilin's "The Kentucky Rifle." It even shows some old rifling "machines" and they're amazing. Shows just how darn GOOD those oldtimers really were to use that kind of equipment, and produce some of the most beautiful pieces of art and utility ever devised by the hands of man.

Boolit Bub
    Any of Skeeter Skelton's work will hold your attention!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ivan, not strictly gun related. But, considering your location, get some Russell Annabel books. I will guarantee, after you read one, you will want to read them all.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remebrance

Both Stebbins books that Bent Ramrod mentioned are absolutely wonderful. I highky recommend both.

Moderator Emeritus

Hunter, by John Hunter is the story of a Scotsman who moved to Africa post WW2 and became a white hunter/guide. I find it an interesting read.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I'll second the recommendation of "Hunter", great book. I gave it to a friend who passed it on to ??? I hope it continues to get read.

Others to consider;

How I Became a Crack Shot by Milton Farrow

Fast and Fancy Pistol and Revolver Shooting by Ed McGivern by modern standards it is a rough read but worth it.

The book about the Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifle by Joe Kindig. I don't remember the title but a good read if you like the American Long rifle.

Anything by Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Jeff Cooper, Towsend Whelen.

Unfortunately most of what we recommend will be hard to find!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast