RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS .45 ACP Shotshell dies. Finally got a complete set.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the link to Etsy, Also order the cutting jig for cutting down 410 3" to 2 1/2".

Banned
    Congratulations on the shot shell die set.

If I may ask several questions:

I watched the video on making the shot shell cases from 308 brass and I'm good with cutting it down. One question is anyone making their own cardboard wads to cover the powder and to cover the #7.5 shot?

Another question ..has anyone tried 40 cal dies for the full length resizing/ making the shoulder or taper down portion? The reason is I have 40cal/10 mm dies and I don't have 41 mag dies and there is .010 inside diameter difference between the 40 cal and the 41 mag.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used a plastic .410 wad so I didn't have to worry about the over powder wad, a bag of 500 will last years.

To seal the end of the case, I have cut wads from a Coke twelve pack using a sharpened case in a drill and .35 cal gaschecks. I think the gaschecks are easier and I don't go through all that many shotshells that the cost is worrysome.

Robert

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset

RCBS .45 ACP Shotshell dies. Finally got a complete set.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Congratulations on the shot shell die set.

If I may ask several questions:

I watched the video on making the shot shell cases from 308 brass and I'm good with cutting it down. One question is anyone making their own cardboard wads to cover the powder and to cover the #7.5 shot?

Another question ..has anyone tried 40 cal dies for the full length resizing/ making the shoulder or taper down portion? The reason is I have 40cal/10 mm dies and I don't have 41 mag dies and there is .010 inside diameter difference between the 40 cal and the 41 mag.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Lots of people sharpen a case to cut cardboard wads from cci primer boxes or similar

As far as using .40 dies, grumpa does it that way and here is his thread, but i got my Lyman 41 mag dies for $15 shipped on eeeeeeebaye so they are common and cheap.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hells-(My-Way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    Several questions yet.

Where do you get 6 or 7.5 shot cheaply? Do you use steel or lead or just what is available? Does shooting shot shells hurt the barrel or lead it? Haven't found any 6 or 7.5 shot reasonably priced and since I only want to make maybe 50 or so of these things I don't need 25lbs of shot or 500 wads.

Read the thread about using 40 cal dies and I'm set there. Does anyone change the recoil spring to a lighter one so the 1911 will cycle?

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think you can buy shot cheaply anymore. What I did when I wanted some #9 shot for my .45 loads was to buy the cheapest box of 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge lead shot I could find and disassembled a few rounds as needed.

I would not use steel shot. No leading using .410 plastic wads, they are trimmed to just under the case mouth.

Robert

I have all the shot i need for these, but i would consider buying bismuth shot from rotometals if i just needed a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Man
    Yep a lot of sticker shock when buying shot. Finished up a 25# bag of 9# shot that was marked $20.95. New bag was $39.95 at local Gun Store?

Boolit Mold
    Boy, I'm looking for a set of these dies and I'm finding out they seem to be as rare as hens teeth. LOL

Boolit Master

I made shotshells many years ago for my 1911, loaded them with #9 shot. I already had 41 M dies and a copper tube cutter so I made a dozen or so. They worked fine but I preferred using my 357 M with gas checks for over/under wads. I also used some in the 41 but got the same basic result from the 357 so I stuck with it.

In the Mojave desert, going rattlesnake hunting was fun and I miss that. I moved to the Redwoods near the CA/OR border and had to contend with possum, raccoons, and rats. The rats were so thick I shot/trapped/killed 6 or 7 an evening for 4 months straight. I had 3 /12 acres so shooting wasn't so much of a problem, but the amount of shooting I did irritated the neighbors so I switched to a pellet rifle. Still lots of fun. I still carried a 2 shot 38 derringer with snakeshot in the watch pocket of my Levi's whenever I was gardening or tending the rabbits and chickens. The occasional shot didn't bug the neighbors as I told them I wouldn't shoot rats anymore, just possum, skunk, and raccoon.

Oh, I started making my own gas checks, 35 and 45, plain based and regular, and the plain base type made from soda can work great.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Bub
    The Jig works Great and is really worth the little money it costs. Saves time and trims all the same lenght.

I found a rcbs .45 shotshell die set at a huge fleamarket 20 plus years ago. Used it to build snake loads. Worked fine in my fullsized 1911s. Anyway I’ve been whacking those destructive borer bees around my deck and barn/shop with a badminton racket but I had my .45 ar pistol out plinking off my deck and decided to try a shot shell to execute one. At 3 feet the bee didn’t stand a chance. I whacked over 600 two years ago but only a couple hundred last year, I’m up to 350 this year.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-13-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I found a rcbs .45 shotshell die set at a huge fleamarket 20 plus years ago. Used it to build snake loads. Worked fine in my fullsized 1911s. Anyway I’ve been whacking those destructive borer bees around my deck and barn/shop with a badminton racket but I had my .45 ar pistol out plinking off my deck and decided to try a shot shell to execute one. At 3 feet the bee didn’t stand a chance. I whacked over 600 two years ago but only a couple hundred last year, I’m up to 350 this year.
    I just reread your post and realized you said .45 AR pistol. That would be a lot of fun running around shooting nuisance bees with an AR pistol.

I put a laser sight on my salt gun and it made a big difference. An AR pistol would be a blast.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Built mine using the new cmmg rotary bolt and their 9 inch bbl, turned out great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12