Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how low can one go

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 49FMarlin View Post
    and ive quit loading them,
    I dont trust it, but ive never heard of BPI giving bad data
    wish i could find other data for it
    or im gonna just give up and wave the wite flag
    There have been several cases of BPI pressures being off on shotgunworld.com and duckhuntingchat.com
    I don't remember all of the reloaders that have had loads tested but derbyacresbob is one that had multiple loads sent out for testing that came back over pressure. There are others that would put their hands up if someone cared to ask. They aren't all Longshot loads either.

Longshot has a high nitroglycerine content. It works well for a lot of applications but when it goes over pressure, it goes quickly.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildflilghts View Post
    The load data in question is for 2-3/4" hulls. The higher pressure rating for 3-1/2" doesn't really apply.
    The bases and general construction of the hulls are same for both lengths on the ones that I have cut apart. This fact does indict that the hull construction verse pressure is not the source of the sticking. Reducing the pressure may mask the problem but the problem is still there.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The bases and general construction of the hulls are same for both lengths on the ones that I have cut apart. This fact does indict that the hull construction verse pressure is not the source of the sticking. Reducing the pressure may mask the problem but the problem is still there.
    3-1/2" guns are rated for higher pressures. It does not matter that the general hull construction is similar minus the length of the tube.
    Without that added pressure, a 3-1/2" 12 bore couldn't pretend to almost match a big 10.
    Last edited by wildflilghts; 01-12-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

M-Tecs is correct, but if the reduced loads fix the problem and work well, I'd take it.

Boolit Bub
    If it was a rough chamber, it wouldn't be the only load that causes sticking issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildflilghts View Post
    If it was a rough chamber, it wouldn't be the only load that causes sticking issues.
    49FMarlin has had problems with most loads in his gun. The very soft Fiocchi hulls aren't helping, but I'm sure his chamber is rough.

Boolit Buddy
    I am only having problem with sticking when I use the fiotchi or cheddite hulls
    any of my brass "real brass hulls" do not stick, tall or short brass-- they fall out of my SXS and cycle out of my Ithica

the cheds and Fio's stick and have to cool to cycle, and come out
    if i force it then I get torn up casings on the rim

using an AA hull and a Ched hull

loaded up a birdshot load in each,

ched sticks
    AA cycles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12