Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: success finally!!!

Boolit Master

success finally!!!

Just to review...….cast slugs of dif. diameters tried in Daystate Wolverine .30 cal., also in Air arms S-510 in .25 cal, cast pellets tried in both the .30 and the .25, no success at all! Nothing close in performance to JSB and H&N pellets in those rifles. Cast slugs have been less then ideal in .22 cal. PCPs as well.
    Enter the Sumatra 2500 in .22, using 34 gr. cast hollowpoint bullets accuracy or under 1/2" at 50 yards, these are my homecast .225" bullets sized down to .218" on NOE and Star sizing equipment. Much more testing required to optimize performance with commercial pellets at the lower power settings, which will also optimize(reduce) air consumption. This Sumatra may be my best PCP yet, cheapest too!

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your pellet casting/Sumatra success! Through the years I've "toyed" with concept of casting my own (.22) pellets, generally a losing persuasion to me when the low cost of pellet purchase is contrasted, and perhaps needing a dedicated lead in pot.
    However -- you (again) have the wheels turning in my noggin for me to revitalize my attempts. A SERIOUS question which came up is re the alloy (if any) which best works for your airgun pellets?
    My attempts had gravitated towards using pure lead -- no tin, antimony, etc.
    Might you share what YOU use as an alloy to make your pellets?
    Thanks!
    geo

Congrats !!! What does the slug look like?....

Bob

Boolit Master
    The slug(boolit) is I believe #225107 but I could be wrong because I'm at my winter home without my molds. These boolits were cast from pure linotype and initially sized, lubed and gas checked, for use in a .22 cf pber. Some time later I sized them down to .218, and shot them with the GC and lube still on them. The mold has 3 cav. that throw a flat point at 37 grs. and 1 HP. at 34 grs.
    To G.Khan, I want cast to work for longer range work and less wind drift, possibly harder hitting....jury is still out on all this.

Here is the NOE clone of the Lyman 225107 with GC....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_225-39-FN_GC_B2__Cust.Jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	253272

That is very much the "go to" slug in .224 cal PCPs running around 80 FPE (the GC slug but without the GC).... so I'm not surprised it works well in .218, providing you have the power to push it....

Bob

I thought pellets needed to be pure lead, that's some hard sizing down to 218 from 225-226?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Most airgun casters use either pure lead, or 40:1 alloy (2.5% tin)….

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

rsterne (& others ): Thank you for alloy info! I do have a "spare" (Lyman Mould Master) pot, so the "wheels in my noggin" are still turning -- I might/can dedicate this one to .22 pellet casting using un-alloyed lead.
    At below zero (F) temps outside, sad indeed is I'll need wait until (at least) April -- generally May -- before I venture to do some casting (in garage).
    geo

Boolit Master
    Sizing was easy because they are so small, I had cast them from Lino for use in my .218 Mashburn Bee powder burner, but I thought I'd try them in my Seneca 2500. The gun is a beast and it would push them out fast no matter how hard they are. Testing here is slow because my Chrony is at my northern home and not here in AZ. With the diff. power level adjustments I'm kinda stuck where I am.