RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 45 sizer

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 45 sizer

Hello everyone,
    I have a question on the Older Lyman 45 sizer lubricators. Is there a good way to limit how far the bullet is pushed down into the die? I dont have a manual for mine, and just looking at it, I could not really see a way to limit the depth the bullet goes in to the die. I have trouble when the bullet goes in to far, and the lube comes out over the top of the bullet. I was thinking that I could limit travel by installing a set collar on one or both of the Rods? Thus it would have an adjustable positive stop.
    These seem to be great old sizers, and I have had good luck with them, but always had this over travel issue.
    Thank you to any one who helps.
    LC

Boolit Master

There should be a threaded adjustment rod and collar on the bottom to limit travel. Is it missing from yours? Post a photo. Also, check out this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-instructions
    Last edited by ndnchf; 04-10-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the link and the response. There is a lot of info to go through in that thread, and only got through part of it on my lunch hour. I think my sizer might have a piece missing, but will go to the shop and look it over later today.

Boolit Man
    Yes there should be an adjusting screw and a plunger to limit how far the bullet goes into the die and the plunger to push things back up to eject the bullet. If those parts are missing then can be easily made but do keep in mind that lyman did and still does to an extent use bastard sizes for some of their threaded parts. Without checking I am guessing that the threaded part, if needed is 30 threads to the inch and its a bit hard to find a lathe that will cut that pitch.
    Other than that the 45 is a good luber sizer. The handle grip is not the most comfortable but other than that it will do a very good job. I have 2 of them along with 2 of the 450's. All in all, while the 45's seem a bit slippy in the fit area, I think all in all they are very good and may be a bit better than the 450's.
    If you do find that you are missing parts, let me know and I can provide prints to you for what is missing.
    SAm

The other option is to plug some of the holes in the die. I have done this on several because even when adjusted on a few I seem to get lube where I don't want it. I just fill the holes I don't need with lead shot.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Watching
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I have a small pill bottle of #5 shot that stays with my sizing equipment just for plugging unneeded H&I die lube holes.