RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP molds problem with the alignment.

Boolit Buddy
    The one mold I got in a group buy produced the worst shooting bullet I've ever had. The only bullet I still have (re-melted the others) showed it was way out of round. None of my lee ones did anything like that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhopson View Post
    After you get the alignment pins pushed in properly, could you use a drop of some type of extreme high temp epoxy on the backside to secure in place?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Epoxy would fail at mold operating temperatures. Cross pinning isn't difficult but I had trouble moving the pins back when I tried. Maybe heat the mold blocks first? I have a box of roll pins from Harbor Freight. Might try to fix mine tomorrow.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I checked the new, unused MP molds I got in group buys that shipped in the first months of last year. Most were still wrapped in the boxes Miha shipped them in.

For all five, the mold halves look like they mate flush, with no vertical or horizontal play that I can see or feel, and the tops are flat and even, with part lines that are almost invisible (the face edges on the sides and bottoms are chamfered). The only thing I see are very slight burrs on the bottom edges (in the channel for the handles) of the threaded holes for the sprue plate stops. No bolt protrusion, though, so I don't expect the binding issue I had before.

Now, of course, these are new molds that haven't ever been hot and don't have even one boolit through any of them, and it's the casting that matters. At this point, though, I am reassured.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-11-2020 at 04:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    I tried pushing the pins back today with a milling vise and it wasn't enough. Maybe with heat it might work. I started the oven, had other thoughts and used the 20 ton press cold. That worked but took more force than I would have imagined. I remember this happening last time but the 20 T was up north and I bought a 2 Ton Arbor Press that barely worked. I look for some pins later and try to post pix.
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Faj_Tran View Post

This is MP responds after I send him a new mail and asked for help.

Have anybody done this by yourself?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    If your unable to do what Miha explains I would tell him that and ask him for credit or replacement. I’m sure he will work with you either way.

Boolit Master
    I cross pined the 6 cavity MP Mold today. The closest standard pin size to what Miha uses is 3/32 so I drilled 4 holes and installed 4 roll pins. It's a deep hole for that size drill so I used cutting oil and cleared the bit of chips regularly especially after I passed through the alignment pin. I used 5/8 long pins that span the lower web. I made the holes .4 inches in from the outside centered on the alignment pins and that splits the back wall of the handle groove. That's far enough from the face of the mold that the roll pins are behind the female pin recess.

Now I HAVE to clean the pot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MoldPin0.jpg   MoldPin1.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I cross pined the 6 cavity MP Mold today. The closest standard pin size to what Miha uses is 3/32 so I drilled 4 holes and installed 4 roll pins. It's a deep hole for that size drill so I used cutting oil and cleared the bit of chips regularly especially after I passed through the alignment pin. I used 5/8 long pins that span the lower web. I made the holes .4 inches in from the outside centered on the alignment pins and that splits the back wall of the handle groove. That's far enough from the face of the mold that the roll pins are behind the female pin recess.

Now I HAVE to clean the pot.
    Awesome work.

Back from a surgery and some uppdate about the molds.

Unfortunatley I dont have the machine or knowledge to do it..

I tried as MP told me to press the block with with a wise. One went ok but the second one didnt work at all.

I have also have some bullet weighed and they are more 142-144gr bullet then 135gr as the mold says. (only test bullets with cold molds).

I

Boolit Mold

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Faj_Tran View Post

I tried as MP told me to press the block with with a wise. One went ok but the second one didnt work at all.
    Try heating the mold in a 400F oven first.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    I made over a hundred casts last weekend and got them sized yesterday. The mold ran great. One thing about Keith boolits is to get them out of the mold as soon as possible. I think it's the alloy shrinking lengthwise. The longer they cool, the tougher to get out of the mold. When I get it just right all 6 boolits fly out just opening the mold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MoldPin4.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    What alloy are you casting? Molds will only cast to nominal weight with one specific alloy. From the same cavity, pure or close to it will drop heavy compared to hardball or Lino.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    What alloy are you casting? Molds will only cast to nominal weight with one specific alloy. From the same cavity, pure or close to it will drop heavy compared to hardball or Lino.
    Basically WW+ Tin. I bought a pallet of 3% antimony lead and add a 1+% Tin.
    Mal

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    Check also this stop bolt,

if it’s tighten to much it protrudes on the bottom and it’s pressing on the metal of handles and movement is
    I just had the exact same problem yesterday and this was my problem. Brand new MP 8 cav aluminum mold. The left block wouldn't swing freely and the two pieces would not align when closed. Sure as heck the bolt was protruding and hitting the handle. An extra washer fixed that problem. 9 MP moulds and this is the first time I've ever had an issue with MP products. At least it was an easy fix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12