Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP molds problem with the alignment.

Boolit Mold

MP molds problem with the alignment.

Hi.

I bought 2 mp 358 molds and have struggle alot with the alignment on the molds.

The molds is clean and still i have problems with when I fold the molds together and they dont set upp straight.

Tried to insert picture but cant..

Someone that have same problems?

I have molds from Arsenal molds and have no problems with.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What handles are you using? Are the handles loose in the molds allowing the mold to pivot?

Banned
    I've had 2 sets of Lee commercial handles that didn't line up when closed.

Boolit Master

If the pins arent lubed, they tend to stick before the blocks fully align. Likely not your problem, but something to be aware of.

Tran,
    You didn't say how many cavities. I'm in the process of figuring out an alignment problem on an MP 8 cav. alum. mold. I think the larger/longer molds are more prone to this kind of problem. In my case I was using MP handles & I found that tightening the handle bolt to reduce all slack (but allow easy movement) helped. With the long molds I place the open mold on a 1"X4" hardwood level board in closing which helps. I tried the above tightening procedure using Lee handles with identical results.

I know how you feel. Try the above & if that doesn't help, let us hear from you. Let us know how many cavities, MP or Lee handles.

Other than the initial difficulty with closing alignment, once closed do they align (as in cast good boolits)?

The post on my problem is on "Molds......Maintenance & Design" entitled "Am I being too picky" (now on page #2).

Henry

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I found if I tighten everything up I have issues but if I leave it loose all works fine
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Pins (shafts) must move freely. if there is any binding back of the pins 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn. See photo.

Everything must move freely, blocks with handles, shafts....

Pour, cut sprue. Tap tap on a bolt hinge to start open the mould.
    Turn the mould and tap tap. Shafts and pins should slide out.

Don’t oil to much. Half a drop of MP oil on a q-tip and just lightly touch shafts from outside. Do it when mould is hot.

Boolit Mold

The 2 left is from MP 8cavity 357 molds and the right one is from Arsenal 5cavity molds.

Boolit Mold

this is the bullets when I started and after 6000 round the blocks doesnt align..

Quote Originally Posted by Faj_Tran View Post

this is the bullets when I started and after 6000 round the blocks doesnt align..

Aha, I thought you have HP brass one but you have 8cav aluminium “Lee style” sprue plate with extra handle...I have few of those 8cav too...

first, open the (cold) mould with handles and make sure that both blocks move freely - so the handles are not binding with blocks...I had that problem and if the blocks are not moving freely they don’t align and close very well.
    If the handles are binding on the outside channel of blocks (where you attach them) it could be handles thickness.
    Check also this stop bolt,

if it’s tighten to much it protrudes on the bottom and it’s pressing on the metal of handles and movement is

See alignment pins, are they in their position? Take a photo. Some people overheat their molds or they dunk them in molten lead to heat them-it can bring lead where it should not be and overheating is also not good for pins....use a hot plate -medium setting.

see now the surface of blocks on the inside. Take a photo of pins and blocks. Every small speck of lead can make closing difficult. Aluminium colour makes lead particles harder to see, I use an old cotton rag 10cm x 5cm, only 2 drops of MP oil, folded, I use it to wipe surface of the mould after I cut sprue- top of the blocks -with bullets still inside, then under the sprue plate....It also removes small lead particles from inside-on a hot mold.

And important- when you hold the handles do not squeeze on the lever (extra) handle.

Take a photo of inside so we can see where is the problem.

Boolit Master
    I had a set of MP molds that wouldn't align. It turned out that Miha's supplier set him some bolts for the sprue plate stop that were just a tiny bit too long, and with the mold assembled, on mine it would protrude into the handle slot and bind one side of the Lee handles I was using. An extra washer on top of the wave washer solved the problem. So would have grinding down the end of the bolt. That was almost two years ago and I'm sure Miha dealt with his supplier on the overlong bolts, but I suppose it could happen again. And even if it didn't I'd still look closely at handle slots, the slot end of the hole where the sprue plate bolt is threaded and the parts of the handles that ride in slots. I don't know about you, but spilling molten alloy over the sides and ends of the mold blocks is pretty common for me, and even a speck that gets stuck in those areas can cause binding the way the long bolt did.

Boolit Mold

I notice thas the washer on the lever making marks on the molds and I used a dremel to file the washer ... still the molds doesn’t align. I have check the molds and will check and clean it again.

Boolit Master
    I really don't know if this would make any difference, but I mount my handles with the hex head of the handle bolt on top and the nut on the bottom. I was taught to tap the bolt head to help drop any sticky boolits, and was told that I'd scar the threads if the handles were turned so the bolt had the nut and exposed shank on top.

Wouldn't hurt to try mounting them the other way just to see if something about the handle geometry being different one way versus the other affects the mating of the mold blocks.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem with two molds I recently got from him. If you remove the handles and hold the molds together you can probably move the mold easily and out of alignment, right? The problem is that the male alignment pin isn’t touching the female alignment socket. I emailed him and he sent me two new molds, which align properly and the pins (male and female) touch. Check yours and let me know if this is your same issue.

Boolit Buddy
    My last 358 mold from mihec had a similar problem. The pins were sliding out when they get hot. I've only used it twice. I suppose I should contact mp before whinging.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    I had the same problem with two molds I recently got from him. If you remove the handles and hold the molds together you can probably move the mold easily and out of alignment, right? The problem is that the male alignment pin isn’t touching the female alignment socket. I emailed him and he sent me two new molds, which align properly and the pins (male and female) touch. Check yours and let me know if this is your same issue.
    I have the same problem. I removed the handle and I can move it put the alignment without any force.

Today I tried again with cold molds to se if the casting works better.. Cant use the bullets but I want to se if the molds works but same result..

I have contact MP for some weeks .. Hope they will respond me.

Boolit Buddy
    Miha replaced two of my molds. The new molds he sent me, have the alignment pins, cross dowel drilled and roll pinned. No way for the pins to ever move again. Great idea and fix for an obvious issue!

Boolit Mold

This is MP responds after I send him a new mail and asked for help.

Have anybody done this by yourself?

Vendor Sponsor

After you get the alignment pins pushed in properly, could you use a drop of some type of extreme high temp epoxy on the backside to secure in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Master
    I have several molds from Miha that I have yet to use. With the others I only had that one problem with the overlong screw (see my earlier reply in the thread). I suppose I should check the alignment on the new molds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast