Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Does You're local range allow you to pick up brass other leave behind?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • They don't care

130 84.42%
  • If You Ask Nicely

7 4.55%
  • They will sell it to you cheap

5 3.25%
  • Nope you do and they will kick you off the range

12 7.79%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Range Brass?

Boolit Master

Our club range not only wants you to pick up your brass, they require it! Range rules are quite specific: if you bring it in the gate, you take it with you when you leave (bullets and boolits excepted, of course ). The are scrap buckets on each firing line where those who don't reload (or collect brass for recycling) can deposit their brass for those who do but we've enough scroungers that it's rare to find much in them. Last week, though, I did score 50-some once-fired MKE 7.62x51s but only because I was a couple benches down when the guy swept them up.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I get not going in front of the firing line to get brass; that's a safety issue. I get not picking up other folk's brass without their permission; as far as I'm concerned, it's their property until they say it's not. What I can't wrap my head around is a range claiming brass that comes out of your gun. If the ammo you shot through it is your own property, whether you brought it or bought it there, then so is the brass. If you leave it, abandoning it, then sure. But if I want it, just them saying it's theirs doesn't necessarily make it so. I wonder if a range could make that stick legally.

Well, I've mellowed a bit over time. Rather than making an issue out of it, I'd probably tell them they just lost my range fees and leave.

ETA: and I also mainly use range brass for practice and plinking. At least that goes for pickups after practice and local matches, which is going to be better than 95% multifired. On the other hand, brass from agency training/quals and classes for John Q. Public is 95% once fired, is often recognizable as such, and therefore reverently collected and treated accordingly.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-01-2020 at 04:44 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I did go to a range that said all brass was their's. This was after I had paid the range fee. I brought my own rounds. Luckily I was the only shooter there at the the time and I argued the point. It was not posted anywhere. Was told that after I started to pickup my brass. The RO turned his eye. So I gathered my brass and left. Never returned to that range. Its probably posted now. Because I voiced my opinion as I left to the owner.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

When the wife and I go to the indoor range we can easily go thru 400 rounds in an hour and so sorry but I am not freely giving away that much brass. Again, I ask before I pay and have no qualms about walking off.

Sometimes it is significantly more convenient to go to a different range than normal.
    If I go to the ranges where they claim any brass that hits the floor, I take either 22lr guns or my revolvers.
    I don't save 22lr in any case and I carry a can to put my revolver brass in while shooting so it never hits the floor.
    None of these ranges have ever been bold enough to try and claim the brass from my can.

Good timing on this thread for me.

My son and I have been members at the local indoor range for years now. They've always had a "pick up your own brass only" policy that they strictly enforce. I've always made sure that I walk out with less brass in the bag than when we arrived... making sure to make a bit of a brass donation for the range. They sell five gallon buckets completely topped off with assorted brass for $185(!).

Never had an issue until two weeks ago. Guy gives me hell about picking up more brass than I shot (which of course, I hadn't).

I've bought a lot of guns and other stuff from this range over the last five years, and have gotten to know the management pretty well. The whole "flavor" of that range has gone to hell lately, with the employees all acting like they're doing you some big favor by letting you shoot on their range or selling you their product. It's gotten so bad that I'm actually going to make an appointment with the general manager to have a sit down with him about it. Sometimes all it takes is a reminder.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

One indoor range I go to says not to pick up....sweep into a pit. One says pick up your own, but STRONGLY SUGGESTS not crossing the firing line to get in front of the stalls. Lol. Outdoor range is police all your brass. Farm range rules are if you brought it in you take it out
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Boolit Master

We were just at the range a couple days ago. As I threw some used targets into the dumpster when leaving, I noticed a bunch of brass in there. I see this fairly often. I picked out a few handfuls of 223 and 30-06 that I could reach, but a lot gets thrown away. There’s often hundreds if not thousands of 9mm brass scattered in the gravel on the pistol bays. I don’t bother picking it up any more since I have so much already.

Pretty nice facilities there. No rangemaster; members get a key to the gate and are on their own.

Banned

WE shoot at three public ranges close by in MO. They don't have range officers and they are free to use, but everyone who shoots are very disciplined on firearms. As for range brass, we collect it when we shoot and I sometimes hit the ranges to collect brass. I have found a nice amount last fall. I have a friend who reloads .223 only and he collects locally when he shoots and trades his excess brass to me for .223/5.56 I have.

Boolit Buddy
    My club range has a written rule, YOU SHOOT IT YOU PICK IT UP & TAKE IT HOME !!
    le

Boolit Bub
    My closest range is ran by our state's dept. of conservation. They used to want the brass collected and put into barrels if you didn't reload it, but that got to be too big a hassle from my understanding due to the mixed in steel and aluminum cases. No problem picking it up, but I also don't sell it to make a buck like some of the folks do. If it's something I can't use, I'll try trade it or sell it and use the money for something I do load.

Boolit Bub
    Most ranges near me couldn't care less. I have probably a few thousand 9mm cases from my dad sweeping them up and bringing them to me (: A different range by me says as soon as it hits the ground its theirs, doesn't matter who fired it; I don't shoot there...

Boolit Bub
    Local indoor range wants to be told you are picking brass up. Before I clan up will ask shooters next to me if they care if I get their brass. Majority of people on range rent guns buy ammo and do not care. Score once fired brass.

I'm cheap and don't go to ranges. A few places out on public land I know of get used as ranges. I often find brass there. Seldom anything I can use.
    A friend Goes to a range and I have gone with him, the fw times I've been ther the only stuff on the ground is 22 rimfire or steel cased stuff.
    I guess most people pick up there own.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Our range is, "you brought it in, you pick it up". You can take it home with you or toss it in the brass barrel. Oft times they throw it in the trash barrel too. Our indoor range, people are pretty good about picking up, though we have a few that think they are above cleaning. We have a video system, if it keeps up ,we will find them and cancel their membership!! We sell the brass from the indoor range and the funds go to our Jr shooter program.

Yes but only between shooting sessions.

Boolit Mold
    local county range doesn't care. but the one in the next city over does... so I don't shoot there anymore. simple

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234