Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Does You're local range allow you to pick up brass other leave behind?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • They don't care

130 84.42%
  • If You Ask Nicely

7 4.55%
  • They will sell it to you cheap

5 3.25%
  • Nope you do and they will kick you off the range

12 7.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Brass?

Range Brass?

Does your local range allow you to pick up brass others have left behind?

ACC

Depends on the range. Some ranges couldn’t care less, as long as you don’t present a safety issue, or are taking other people’s brass without their permission.

Some ranges make money off the scrap brass. Either at salvage rates or buy selling it to an ammo remanufacturer.

If it’s an indoor range I try and stick to just picking up my own brass. At outdoor ranges, especially ones without a range officer, I pick up everything that isn’t claimed.

Jay Andrew
    www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Buddy
    My range allows us to pickup our own brass indoors. They do appreciate if you do leave some. And there is always the group that doesn't reload. The outdoor range you are expected to pick up your own brass. There are always guys who don't reload and don't care about picking up their brass. So I clean up as best as I can. Anything I don't reload for goes in the scrap bucket.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

On the pistol ranges, pick up what ya want, or leave it to sink in and act like gravel.
    The range master doesn't care.

On the rifle range, there's a big barrel for brass.
    You're supposed to sweep up your brass and take your trash home. Put your brass in the barrel, or keep it, no problem.

If ya want brass out of the barrel, fine, just pay the range whatever you think is fair & right.
    Just be aware, tobacco chewers use the barrel too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Not really. Unless by buddy the range officer is working. He likes it when I come in cause he doesn’t have to sweep up, I do it. As a matter of fact the last time I was in (last Saturday) someone had thrown an ammo can in the trash! Granted it was plastic. Ya know the ones they sell with a couple hundred rounds of ammo in. This one had 40 cal i. Well I scoffed it out of the trash, filled it with range brass and took it home. I consider that a 2fer!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Mine allows it for personal use. They frown at taking what you can't use or scrapping it. Gotta be careful though some guys get pissy when they see me picking it up. If they can't find a peice of their brass they automatically blame me. Had my brass bucket searched more than once because some guy swore up and down I had his Lapua brass. Odd because I have never found a Lapua brass before.

Now if they range would let me mine their berms.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

My local range will look the other way as long you don't reload for other shooters. They get kinda upset about that. I can understand since they sell reloaded ammo.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    My range encourages members to pick up their brass. Most don't. I average nearly two five gallon buckets of brass each weekend (almost 4000 members). The range officers come by and thank me for cleaning up the ranges.

The indoor range where I am a member doesn’t care. In fact, if I ask, some of the employees will even save it for me. There are hardly any reloaders there.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    My "home" range doesn't care but it's pistol only. I used to go to one that they were kinda jerks about it. One guy even asked me what caliber I was shooting then said no. That doesn't make it seem like he wanted my brass at all, does it? I don't go there any more. It was a nice facility but pricey and losing a bunch of 243 cases I wanted to reload wasn't my idea of a good time. Not to mention they were kind of jerks in general.

On the farm, I generally claim the brass. My buddies don't reload. Sadly they don't shoot a lot of calibers I do, nor do they shoot with me regularly. Anyone close need a place to shoot PM me.

There are four ranges within 60 miles of where I live. Most will let you pick up your own brass. One will let you pick up anything that gets left there. One has a rule that anything that hits the floor is theirs.
    If I shoot there, I use 22lr or revolvers so if anything hits the floor, it is something I wouldn't pick up anyway.

Boolit Bub
    My range doesn't care and there is usually lots of pistol brass, it amazes me how many people don't reload

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the ranges that I use are private and there is usually no one else there. The one thats really busy doesn't care as long as you are safe and don't cause any problems.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine doesn't seem to care. They do recycle for the funds though. So I make it a point to bring it back once it's worn out. I crush the mouth so another reloader doesn't end up wasting their time on it. They also get any other trash I have that happens to be made of brass. Broken punches, etc.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The range I am a member of now is great the range officers will even push your brass back to you with a big squeegee but abandoned brass belongs to the range.
    At the previous range I was a member of for 7 or 8 years I always collected my own brass when safe to do so and one day the range officer glared at me and rudely said "if the brass hits the floor it's mine leave it" I moved my membership I want my brass and am not going to spend .01 cent where the employees are rude and discourteous to customers.

Some ranges are starting to require no lead exposed bullets. If you are loading purchased jacketed or plated bullets, it is only slightly less cost per cartridge than buying new when shooting 9mm.
    Oddly enough, that same range allows 22lr that are not plated.
    I was in a range one time that not only refused to allow reloads, they required you purchase ammunition from them. Turned out they sold reloaded ammunition.
    I refused to shoot there.

The indoor range I go to now has no problem with me picking up brass. I make it a point to ask the shooters in the booths next to me if they are also collecting their brass so that I dont accidentally steal their range gold.

Most shooters there dont collect their brass so I usually come home with a decent size bag. And sometimes asking people who dont reload about collecting their brass spikes their interest and starts a conversation about getting them into reloading.

The range I used to go to (before the new one opened) would give me the evil eye every time I picked up my brass. Then they removed the brooms/sweepers from the range so you couldnt easily collect it. So I brought a small dustpan/hand broom to collect my own. Apparently that was a bad idea and I got a scolding from the RO about how "once it touches the floor its their property". That was the last time I ever set foot in that range.

If a range isnt going to let me collect MY brass that I spent MY time and money reloading then they arent going to get any business from me.

Boolit Grand Master

The last indoor ranges I frequented, in LA, didn't mind. When I got to my lane, I swept the brass out/forward and when I was done shooting, I swept again and kept what cleaned up, 99% was what I shot. I found a range close to where I worked and brought my stuff to work and stopped by on my way home. The "manager" told me I couldn't use my handloads, had to buy ammo from them and could not pick up any brass (if it hit the floor it was theirs). I was there maybe 10 minutes, never fired a shot and left...

But I haven't found an "improved" range since I moved to OR, just a wide place in the hills above town...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-19-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

My club range manager loves me, because I pick up brass and help keep the place clean. He even comes and tells me where he's seen big piles. But our club range is a special place, 25 separate bermed ranges of different types and uses, quite a place.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast