MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 8mm Lebel in a Mle 1907/15 Berthier carbine

Boolit Mold

8mm Lebel in a Mle 1907/15 Berthier carbine

Hey guys, any decent loads out there for 8mm Lebel? I'm using 200gr. lyman gaschecked, I was thinking around the IMR3031 range.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Well I got a good jacketed load- but never had much luck with cast in mine.

Boolit Mold
    "Well I got a good jacketed load- but never had much luck with cast in mine." Lay it on me, I got 150gr, 180gr and 195 gr jacketed bullets.

Boolit Buddy

8mm Berthier load

Just tried my Berthier for the first time. Handloaded 195 gr. Hornady Spire Point over 46 gr. of IMR3031 in Graff cases. Recoil was way too strong. Since my stock was chopped, it made it worse. Some primers were possibly a little far in and never fired. Not sure if firing pin is not adjusted wright or simply worned out.
    I was missing the bolt screwing into the hole behind the bolt (when closed), on the receiver, the one that screws from underneath, inside the stock, behind the trigger. Result: I cracked my stock wright behind where this bolt was suposed to go. Not a very enjoyable experience. Will take apart the rest of loaded rounds and think of some other options. Any input welcome.
    Danyboy

If you don't mind a different powder: For a cast load, try 16 gr of Alliant 2400. It shoots pretty good through my Berthier rifle, and elevation is perfect for the sights at 100 yds. Just be careful about double charging the case. Makes it real fun to shoot.

-Jason

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

8 mm lebel

also 13.5 gr Red Dot same bullet.I shot that little murderer with 236 gr MG rds.
    I would like to try it with 150 gr.but I have so many to test I cant keep up.I do have Lees 8 mm and will try that next.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Bub
    I also use 13.5 gr.s Red Dot in my "Lebels"* under the Lee 329 sized to .327. The Lyman Loverin mold with the same dose of pwder is great in smaller throated rifles.

*Gras/Lebel conversions should be used with slower burning powders.

I've also started to play with a Bubba-fied Remington 1907/15 for something to keep busy with. I found this load data for "J" Take it as you will, but could be food for thought. http://www.gunsworld.com/french/bert...l_cart_us.html The Lee manual also lists the Label with load data. When I get to the stage of shooting it, my first will be fired with the old stand by of 10 gnu of Unique, then go from there.

Nora
    Last edited by Nora; 09-17-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I forgot to add the link (OOPS)
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

The Lee .329-205 (for the 8x56R) works great as cast, gas checked, tumble lubed with XLOX, over 16 Gr of 2400, and a CCI 200, and seated even with the crimping groove. (Graf Brass) Haven't Chrono'd, but is quite accurate. Takes down bowling pins off-hand at 50 yards all day long in my 1918 M16 (Continsouza) Berthier long rifle. Actually, was accurate enough at 200 Yards to take down 8" metal plates if I did my part... GREAT FUN!

My rifle has an excellent .327 bore, I think the Boolits cast about .3295-.330" from water quenched WW with a bit of added 50-50 solder
    Last edited by ak_milsurp; 07-10-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    The Lee .329-205 (for the 8x56R) works great as cast, gas checked, tumble lubed with XLOX, over 16 Gr of 2400, and a CCI 200, and seated even with the crimping groove. (Graf Brass) Haven't Chrono'd, but is quite accurate. Takes down bowling pins off-hand at 50 yards all day long in my 1918 M16 (Continsouza) Berthier long rifle. Actually, was accurate enough at 200 Yards to take down 8" metal plates if I did my part... GREAT FUN!

My rifle has an excellent .327 bore, I think the Boolits cast about .3295-.330" from water quenched WW with a bit of added 50-50 solder
    You must have an N stamped model wright ?

Nope, no "N" stamp.... Anywhere. But it slugs @.327, barrel has 1918 date
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Yowsah, this is an old one.

Given the last post by the OP was in 2010, I doubt he'll see it, but I'll weigh back in here, because why not?

I've since tried the Lee .329, sized to .327 (my gun has .325 grooves). Had to seat in another die due to the bullet diameter issue; I didn't want to ream out the Lebel seater for a gun I shoot perhaps once a year.

Shot ok. Nothing to write home about. 3" groups at 50 I'd say. 20 gr of SR or 30 gr of 4895 both did about the same.

Then again, the sights are among the worst I've encountered on any gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    Nope, no "N" stamp.... Anywhere. But it slugs @.327, barrel has 1918 date
    If 'N' marked, it would be right above the chamber. Mine slugs at .315" for the bore and .325" for the groove and chamber cast says chamber neck is at .353". So, if I kept my brass at .012" and shot .329" bullets, would be tight in this chamber neck (.329" + (2 x .012")= .353") . I am surprised yours has a .327" bore and not groove. I remember now trying .329" cast bullets and not being able to chamber it. Had to neckturn the brass down to .010" to make them work. If not 'N' marked, it was designed for a 'Balle 'D' ' which was a heeled bullet with .323" inside the brass and .326" outside.

The grooves are .327, of course.... Not the bore

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

And my Lee 329-205 chamber just fine....

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

A fired case neck measures .356-357" OD

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Make that .356-358", the smaller diameter at the case mouth, tapering ttwo the larger at the case neck / shoulder junction.

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska