MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Question on Leaking Lyman Mag 25

Boolit Buddy

Question on Leaking Lyman Mag 25

Hey fellows I have a lyman mag 25 digital melting furnace and it started leaking awhile back I ordered a new shut-off rod still leaked so I had read to use valve grinding compound so I tried the fine to try an help seat the rod still leaks turn the rod half round still leaks any help would be muchly appreciated, I called Lyman yesterday and the lady told me it was out of warranty so they couldn't help me other than sell me a new one.

Boolit Master

Some people use valve compound, if you do take your time and make sure to clean it real good. There is no support for the pot or parts. Mine started leaking around the out side of the port. (around the weld). I was told by Lyman they would sell me a new pot for 175.00. Got a Pro Melt 2 instead. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    dannyd thanks for the help the lady I talked to said she could sell me a new for $190 shipped I've tried the valve compound it still leaks not as bad but enough I'll probably just advertise it for parts everthing works it just leaks

Boolit Grand Master

Drain all the alloy out pouring the last little bit out the top not through the spout....wear heavy gloves.

Let the pot cool completely.

Disassemble the shut off rod and linkage from the pot.

Soak the rod end and the drain hole in Kroil for several days.

Clean all the hardened slag from the shut off rod, especially around the tapered end.

Use some old worn out 22 - 30 caliber bronze brushes in a cleaning rod section in a drill to clean out the drain hole. Might use a drill the same size as the drain hole to clean the hole first.

Clean debris out ( I used carburetor cleaner to hose out) and re-assemble then heat up until the Kroil burns off (stops smoking) before adding any alloy.

In the future when emptying the pot don't drain it completely. Doing so always will get some slag in the drain hole and harden there preventing the rod from sealing (don't ask how I know or learned how to clean it 'cuase I been there, done that and got the T-shirt) ). When draining the pot I put a 1/4" thick strip of plywood under the bottom in back so the alloy collects around the drain hole. Then I leave a little bit of alloy in the pot. Usually when to edge of the alloy is about 1/3 down from the back bottom of the pot. Since I only use my Mag20 with ternary alloys that much left in won't alter any future alloy to speak of.. Binary alloys are cast from the small Lyman 10 lb furnace using a Lyman dipper.

Since learning the hard way several times how to clean the drain hole in my older Mag10 Lyman's I've never had to clean the drain hole in my Mag20.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter73 View Post
    dannyd thanks for the help the lady I talked to said she could sell me a new for $190 shipped I've tried the valve compound it still leaks not as bad but enough I'll probably just advertise it for parts everthing works it just leaks
    Lyman makes a few nice reloading tools, but in the 30 years their quality as gone way down.

Boolit Buddy
    Larry Thank You very much I'll do that tomorrow

The Mag 25 appears to have the same metering rod set up as my Mag 20. It dripped too. First I chucked the rod in my cordless drill and lapped it in the hole with Clover's 320 grit compound. It helped a lot but still dripped occasionally. I then hack sawed a screwdriver slot in the top of the rod and when it dripped, most likely because of dirt in the hole, I used a screwdriver and turned it back and forth a few degrees each way while pressing the screwdriver down. Works like a charm.

Boolit Buddy
    Bosterr thanks for the info I appreciate it buddy

Boolit Grand Master

Its sad to hear that there is no support for these! Good Luck fixing the drip.

Boolit Bub
    That's a little disconcerting that they don't support these. I bought one recently, haven't even had the chance to use it yet.

Boolit Master
    I screwed the rod, all the way down, to make it a dedicated ladle pot. Removed the lever handle. Ground off the upturned nuisance edge of the mould heating shelf. Now a #2 Rowell ladle fits in the opening of the Mag 25.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I don't own a Lyman pot but I found that my Pro-Melt would start to leak when it needed a through cleaning. The last time I did a cleaning I made a new downrod out of some 1/2" stainless round stock. That added a little extra weight, but it really made a big difference. I now go much longer between cleanings and the valve works better than it ever did.