Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: WCC brass and crimped primers...

WCC brass and crimped primers...

In a box of 9mm brass, that I recently received, is a bunch of WCC head-stamped cases. From what I can figure out (Google is my friend), this is military surplus ammo and the primers are crimped (the primers on these were a bit harder to remove). Is there anything special I need to do to the primer pockets before placing new primers?

Andy, there are a number of ways to remove, swage, or chamfer primer crimps. Perhaps the cheapest and easiest is with one of the brass chamfering tools, such as this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51xc52YrYjL__AC_.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	253226

You could probably use a countersink bit if you have one laying around. It won't take much of a chamfer in the primer pocket to allow you to easily seat primers.

There are also tools that swage primer pockets....both off and on press. RCBS makes a press mounted one for around $30 I think. They also make an off-press one as does Dillon and others.

The best news is.....you only have to do it once.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Andy, there are a number of ways to remove, swage, or chamfer primer crimps. Perhaps the cheapest and easiest is with one of the brass chamfering tools, such as this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51xc52YrYjL__AC_.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	253226

You could probably use a countersink bit if you have one laying around. It won't take much of a chamfer in the primer pocket to allow you to easily seat primers.

There are also tools that swage primer pockets....both off and on press. RCBS makes a press mounted one for around $30 I think. They also make an off-press one as does Dillon and others.

The best news is.....you only have to do it once.
    What about this tool?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6249483001

-Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andyt591 View Post
    What about this tool?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6249483001

-Andrew
    I've not used it personally....but I'm not sure a pocket uniformer (the tool you've shown) will remove a crimp. It's more for making the interior of the primer pocket a uniform size and shape. (In fact.....just checked the listing on Midway, and it specifically says near the bottom that it will not remove a military crimp.)
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just my opinion here, but unless you have an availability problem with brass, I would chuck them in the scrap bucket. Or if it is a "just cause I can" sort of thing (most of reloading falls under this) then carry on.

Boolit Master
    I have used the RCBS primer pocket swager for rifle brass to remove the military crimp and far prefer a chamfer tool which is a little faster and can be used on the mouth of the case. 9mm brass is so common I don't know if I would remove the crimp or not. As has been said before , you will only need to do it once and a chamfer tool can be used elsewhere also.
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 12-18-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others have said, you will have to remove the primer crimp. Primer crimps are not all the same and I have found no single tool that works perfectly 100% of the time. I find myself using a 45º carbide counter sinc more that any of the other tools that I have. The deburring tool that you use on case mouths will work for this.

WCC is good brass but its up to you to decide if its worth the trouble. 9mm brass is so plentiful right now that you might want to save it back until you get more experience.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The shallow-angle Lyman "VLD" mouth deburring tool is perfect for reaming the crimp from small primer pockets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012871154?pid=342199

Attachment 253354
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have a bit of a disdain for cutters and chamfering tools for primer pockets for lack of consistency. Recently I picked up a fair amount of really good looking LC 5.56 brass on a club range. Some was once fired and in good condition. Some appeared to be reloaded. The reloaded rounds had the primer pocket reamed with who knows what, and most of it way to deep. That brass, which was otherwise in very good condition, was ruined. It went in the recycle bucket.

My tool of choice is the Dillon swager. Something to do winter evenings while the idiot box is blaring away.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez pay attention to sundog. Dillion Swager is by far the best! Just did a pile of 5.56x45 brass for my younger son. (Guess wot he's gettin' for Xmas?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    Just my opinion here, but unless you have an availability problem with brass, I would chuck them in the scrap bucket. Or if it is a "just cause I can" sort of thing (most of reloading falls under this) then carry on.
    The other option is to put them into a "needs processing" bucket. Someday, when I am way too old to care, I'll clean, deprime and swage them with a Dillon Swager....the only way to fly. That way they don't go to waste.
    But I bought my 9mm brass in lots of 10,000...who cares if you lose 30 or so every trip to the range?
    The Dillon Swager actually reforms and uniforms the pocket and makes it perfect....every time.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Lyman makes a primer pocket reamer in both small and large.
    Just make sure you keep the tool straight.

I learned to cut out the primer crimp with a pocket knife. DO NOT suggest you try that.

My experience with the primer pocket reamer is rather negative. Most pockets were enlarged.
    Brass in 9mm is cheap and plentiful, You'll find more on the ground. Throw it in the scrap bucket.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life