Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for you reloaders?

Boolit Master
    Well, why does some people like Chevys and some people like Fords ? Or Why do some people think Glock’s are the best thing since sliced bread others can’t stand them and prefer 1911s? I think the real answer is something called personal preference . Are use a lot of Lee products but I also use Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Dylan, etc. I use whatever best suits my needs . And yes in my case cost is a factor . I do believe that some people buy just based on the name . As for the Glock versus the 1911, Let’s just say one I like a lot the other I can’t stand and will leave it at that
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Well, .......................
    ......................As for the Glock versus the 1911, Let’s just say one I like a lot the other I can’t stand and will leave it at that
    I prefer to say that one has Soul, the other does not!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

[QUOTE=Fly;4786145]I have been reloading for many, many years. I have always bought Lee dies for cost quality, ect. The only times I have
    bought other brands are when Lee did not offer them. I,m not trying to start a argument in any way. But why do some
    here pay the high cost of other brands. The same with molds, Lee molds have served me well, & cost a fraction the cost
    of others, plus they are supplied with nice handles. Just asking?

Because we like them better? Because we think the "other" brand we buy is better? I guess I should throw in the obligatory statement that I DO use some Lee equipment just to show you Lee folks that I'm really just a regular guy and I'm actually ashamed that I use any brand that costs more. I actually own a Lee Loadmaster press. Got it for 200 bucks shipped fully loaded. Bought it to decap (using a LEE universal decapping die) 9mm brass. But I found it does a good job of LOADING 9mm with no issues if I prep ALL the primer pockets on the brass I feed it. But I use RCBS dies with it except for the powder through die, I also use the RCBS expander die BEFORE the powder die so I don't have to use the horrible expander bushing in the Lee powder die. I also have an RCBS Pro 2000 press. The RCBS is a better press. I also have a Lee Classic Cast SS press. Pretty good unit and I use it for things I can't (or don't want to do on my Co-Ax press) bullet pulling for instance. The Co-Ax is the better press. Lee dies in general, not a fan. I'll pay the "extra" 10 bucks for a set of RCBS dies, although Lee wins with the "free" shell holder. But I have plenty of those and don't need them with the Co-Ax.
    Please consider, the written word NEVER comes across as meant, or understood like we were talking face to face. Some of us buy other products simply because we feel those products are better and worth the cost to us. I think Forster Comp. dies are better than RCBS dies for reloading my hunting rifles to be as good as I can produce.
    Does it really matter? Probably not, and they cost about double. But it's worth it to me.

I have dies from Saeco, Hornady, Lee, Dillon, RCBS, and a few others I can't remember at the moment. For 99% of reloaders, Lee stuff will work just fine.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    I started reloading before Lee started making threaded dies. I had a large number of dies of various brands before Lee came along.
    I have 2 practices that cannot be followed with out of the box Lee dies.
    1. I load a lot of rifle ammo for cartridges that headspace on the shoulders. I like to keep a precise die setting for the dies to maintain exact headspace on my ammo. This requires a locked down lock ring to provide the exact same headspace setting every time that die is installed in my press. The rubber O ring of the Lee dies do not make this possible so I use other brands of dies or at least I use a lockable ring on a Lee die.
    2. I clean the sizing lube residue out of my dies each time I use them. Since I live in a climate that is often humid I clean out each die and give it a shot of Birchwood Casey Barricade since I don't know how long it will be before it is used again. Removing the decapper is easy with most brands. You can install and remove them with your fingers to permit cleaning the dies. When I use the die again I remove the decapper and wipe out any dust and old preservative before sizing cases. All this is done by removing and replacing the decapper with my fingers. This cannot be done with Lee decappers. The friction locking nut has to be really tight to prevent the decapping stem from moving. This requires 2 wrenches to unlock and remove the decapping assy.

I guess none of these issues exist for straight cases loaded with Lee dies but I would not know. I bought my straight case dies before Lee got into the reloading die business.

A third but minor issue with larger caliber dies - about 30 cal and larger FL sizer dies made by Lee.
    When FORMING longer cases, the 1/8 NPT thread in the top of the die is so small that it prevents a longer case neck from extending out of the top of the die.
    Last edited by EDG; 12-18-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few sets of Lee,but more RCBS than anything.I have heard that Lee sizing dies are bad to scratch brass,but mine seem ok. Like others have mentioned the Lee o ring locks are not liked by me,or anyone that I know of.I also don't care for their boxes.I also find the Lee sizing dies a hair more inconvenient to take apart ,and reassemble to clean.I realize that the RCBS is a little higher,but I get a product that I like better.

Boolit Master
    That is a good post EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I feel ridiculous posting my post right ater yours EDG.I was typing mine while you were posting yours.

Boolit Master
    It would be easy to tell you which mold metal is "best" but that's not honest. I have both and love both because of the bullets they drop. It's easier therefore cheeper to make precise molds in aluminum than iron. But, fact is, both iron and alum molds make, or at least can make, very high quality bullets.

In use with single and double cavity molds I can't find much difference between alum and iron. But, on gang molds (4 +), the added weight of iron can become a burden. I treasure my old 6 cavity Hensley and Gibbs .429/240 gr. SWC iron mold because it makes a lot of excellent bullets quick but it does get heavy after an hour; my similar Lee alum block mods are much easier to work with. And, truth be told, the Lee bullets shoot just as good.

It does take a bit longer to bring an iron mold up to casting temps and they do hold temps longer but if they get overheated they also hold the excess heat longer. Heat frosted bullets shoot well enough but they don't look good to me so I slow down when frosting starts. (For both types and sizes, large caliber molds overheat faster than small calibers).

In use, I find the biggest difference in block material is how carefully we need to bring molds up to casting heat. Uneven preheating can permanently warp big iron molds fairly easily but aluminum mold blocks aren't so sensitive to that.

Take your choice and know you have done good.
    Last edited by 1hole; 12-18-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I started reloading in the '70s with my brother in Law's Lee basic 38/357 loader. Then he wanted it back, and I got an RCBS press and a set of Lyman dies...adequate, but the quality of the dies didn't impress. Hopefully, they have improved in the intervening years. I bought a set of RCBS Carbide dies, and haven't looked back. Rifle dies...I have always used either RCBS or Redding. I couldn't tell much difference. They were both good!
    Last edited by sniper; 12-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

1hole mentioned RCBS customer service, I've never had a problem with their stuff. I did buy a set of dies from the forum here that was missing the bullet seating stem. So I called RCBS and told them I bought used dies and needed the seat stems. They sent me both the round nose and SWC stems and the lock nut free of charge. I offered to pay and told them how they were used dies right up front.

Boolit Master

I started reloading in the late 1950's. My Dad, Uncle, Brother's and their friends. There was no Lee that I can recall then. So our equipment came from Lachmiller, Herters, Pacific, RCBS, Lyman, H&G and others that I've forgotten.
    The only Lee item I ever remember using was the little decap rod and base for .30-06 & .45ACP

Fast forward to 1974, I was stationed on the East Coast. Got a few days leave and went up to Lyman in CT. Factory Store, bought most everything for .30-06, .38/.357 , Spartan Press, Die sets, Molds and a 450 Lube-Sizer and small stuff.
    I knew when I came home that I would be Reloading on My Own.
    Never bought anything from Lee except that decapper for small & large primers.

Fast forward to 1988, My Dad and I were getting into Cowboy Shooting, at a small Gun show he bought 3 Lee 2cav molds in .44Cal, said cast some bullets for our Colts.
    The old Gentleman that sold the molds said "handle them gently".
    And I always have. 30,000 bullets later the still drop good bullets.

Had a friend give me Lee dies in .38S&W, .32S&W and .44Russian. Not good dies. 32cal are marked .32ACP, .32S&W Long. Don't do well on the .32Short & Wimpy. Same with the .38S&W, some dies are marked .38Super, VERY Sloppy fit in My S&W Victory Model and My H&R Breaktop.
    The shellholder for .44Russian won't fit in My old RockChucker.
    The Lee FCD for .44-40 was mismarked .44Mag. The package was .44-40, the die was marked .44Mag. Called Lee, they didn't believe me.

I like Lee Molds, their dies are JUNK.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have a set if lee shell holders. They work fine for 30-30 and 30-06. But some of the shell holders are dual caliber. One does double duty for 9mm and 40S&W, and another that doubles for 44 mag and 45 colt. I'm not saying lee is junk, but that certainly ain't the best idea.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I started reloading in the late 1950's. My Dad, Uncle, Brother's and their friends. There was no Lee that I can recall then. So our equipment came from Lachmiller, Herters, Pacific, RCBS, Lyman, H&G and others that I've forgotten.
    The only Lee item I ever remember using was the little decap rod and base for .30-06 & .45ACP

Fast forward to 1974, I was stationed on the East Coast. Got a few days leave and went up to Lyman in CT. Factory Store, bought most everything for .30-06, .38/.357 , Spartan Press, Die sets, Molds and a 450 Lube-Sizer and small stuff.
    I knew when I came home that I would be Reloading on My Own.
    Never bought anything from Lee except that decapper for small & large primers.

Fast forward to 1988, My Dad and I were getting into Cowboy Shooting, at a small Gun show he bought 3 Lee 2cav molds in .44Cal, said cast some bullets for our Colts.
    The old Gentleman that sold the molds said "handle them gently".
    And I always have. 30,000 bullets later the still drop good bullets.

Had a friend give me Lee dies in .38S&W, .32S&W and .44Russian. Not good dies. 32cal are marked .32ACP, .32S&W Long. Don't do well on the .32Short & Wimpy. Same with the .38S&W, some dies are marked .38Super, VERY Sloppy fit in My S&W Victory Model and My H&R Breaktop.
    The shellholder for .44Russian won't fit in My old RockChucker.
    The Lee FCD for .44-40 was mismarked .44Mag. The package was .44-40, the die was marked .44Mag. Called Lee, they didn't believe me.

I like Lee Molds, their dies are JUNK.
    Man you had some bad luck .
    I have a lot of Lee dies and all have worked great but then so have my Lyman's RCBS and Redding . Don't load rifle often any more so the last 5 or 6 sets I have bought are the Lee 4 die pistol sets and have replaced my older RCBS sets they just work better for me in the process I use now.
    Lee has some presses I would not buy again I want at least 4 stations and the other was to time consuming to get running smooth the way I used it , but I have 2 I really like . All the Lee molds I have work well even though the bullet design may not be my favorite. 2 of Lees powder measures I really like and use more than my Lyman or RCBS they make one that I did not care for at all. Some of the Lee equipment I have never tried and probably never will. They have several unique innovative products that are for specific needs , you have to make sure you want what they say the tool is for.
    You see people complaining about them when they do exactly what Lee says they are designed to do.
    It's great to have so much equipment to choose from to fit our different needs and budget.

Boolit Master

From what I can tell most people who dont like Lee normally got a one off lemon and it put a bad taste in their mouth and dislike the company from then on out. Or they are just trying to justify their overly expensive choices. Kind like how I defend Lee to justify my choice because I cant afford better.

This board isnt as bad with the tool snobbery. I agree buy cheap and get cheap quality but I have found Lee walks a good line of price and quality. Most everything I own and use Lee. I do not think buying a Dillion or Hornady press will automatically make you accurate ammo. If you can not load accurate ammo on a Lee press then something more expensive is not going to help. Kind like how shooting a Kimber or Tikka won't make you a marksman. Some guys it just makes them bad shots with an expensive gun.

The few NOE and couple of Lyman molds and RCBS molds I have drop good bullets easily from the rip. However I have had a few Lee molds need a little love before they rained bullets. They did rain bullets just as good as the rest though. So you get what you pay for.

I couldn't compare dies as mine are all Lee except my 357 Mag dies are RCBS. They all work good and make accurate ammo if I do my part. I chalk that up to attention to detail.

For me it comes down to price. I buy what I can afford. I like the other presses but my wallet says keep dreaming, maybe one day. Truth be told, my favorite color is also red so that helps. Hard to justify a Hornedy Press to the purse holder when she say you can get three Lee presses for that price. She wasn't wrong and I have 4 Lee presses with permission received to buy the Lee APP press.

From a tool standpoint. I too am a mechanic and between work and fixing my own vehicles. I can tell you from personal experience that Stanley, Craftsman, MAC and Snap On or what ever harbor freight sells, they all shatter the same way like glass when broken. Only difference was how I felt when it broke. Break a stanley (or harbor freight tools) and I am impressed it last that long. Snap a craftsman or Snap on and I am kind of sad because those were expensive. They last about the same length of time.

All things last a long time if you care for it. I was amazed how smooth and buttery my Lee presses worked when I started regularly cleaning, oiling and greasing them. I was amazed how good my Lee dies worked when I took the time to clean them. I was also amazed how long my wrenches started lasting when I bough a breaker bar. I have never broken a Stanley socket but I have shattered a few expensive Power Built sockets.

Buy what you can afford and take good care off it. All things will outlast us if we care for it and use it wisely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Well you guys answered my question. As I said been loading for many years & 90% of my loading tools are Lee. I do not load as much
    as some of you do. But my molds, press & dies all work for me. I was just wondering if the extra cost was needed. You answered. Plus
    I learned a thing are two.

Thanks Fly

I buy RCBS because my mother worked for a sister company (CCI) till she retired. I got the employee discount and feel an allegiance to them for how well they treated her. I have other die sets that I have acquired during hard times but I prefer green and when a chance to acquire a set of green to replace the less expensive sets, I make the change. Got nothing against Lee they have got me thru but.....
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Rcmaveric, I really like what you said. Made me sit back and think. I will no longer involve myself in these type threads. When I look back at my first response, while I meant no offense, it seems rather offensive after reading yours. If you invited me over to you house to do some reloading with you, and we sat down to a Lee press(s) with Lee dies I guarantee I would not say anything about your equipment and would happily go about reloading with you. So to say it on a forum is just as rude in my opinion. Hopefully you get my meaning.

Boolit Master
    If you looked my load tool spread you would have a hard time finding a “brand bias”.

I have a lot of stuff from several manufacturers. I do zero in on the old Pacific Durachrome die sets when the opportunity arrives. I also am very smitten with the Lee Collet die series. I also am very taken by the RCBS steel or iron and Mihec brass boolit molds. I have several Lee alluminum molds and Lyman steel or iron numbers that are gems.

As far as presses go I do not have “blue” nor the legendary Forester CoAx. I would like the CoAx and am curious about “blue”.

The closest I come to tool snobbery is with case trimmers and mechanical scales. I am died in the wool a fan of the Wilson trimmer. Scale wise it’s Oahu’s (RCBS) all the way .... 505, 510, 101 and the big dog on the porch .... the 304 Dial a Grain!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-19-2019 at 01:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Rcmaveric, I really like what you said. Made me sit back and think. I will no longer involve myself in these type threads. When I look back at my first response, while I meant no offense, it seems rather offensive after reading yours. If you invited me over to you house to do some reloading with you, and we sat down to a Lee press(s) with Lee dies I guarantee I would not say anything about your equipment and would happily go about reloading with you. So to say it on a forum is just as rude in my opinion. Hopefully you get my meaning.
    I didn't find your post offensive at all. I like reading people opinions. As long as these post stay civil I have no problems injecting my opinions.

A casting party sounds like fun after the Holidays.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast