Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Trip planning

Boolit Master

Trip planning

We're thinking of driving from Minot, ND to Glacier National Park next summer. It looks like it's about a 10+ hour drive. Is it a decent drive? I know, "decent" can mean different things, but last summer we drive from Rapid City, SD to Minot, ND (and back) and it was a pretty good drive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    We're thinking of driving from Minot, ND to Glacier National Park next summer. It looks like it's about a 10+ hour drive. Is it a decent drive? I know, "decent" can mean different things, but last summer we drive from Rapid City, SD to Minot, ND (and back) and it was a pretty good drive.
    Definitely! Good stops on the way! Taking I90 from Rapid will take you past devil's tower and the big horn battlefield. Taking 212 will miss devil's tower, but straight into Gerry Owen. Then Billings, Big Timber has the Shiloh Sharp's factory, Bozeman. Good stops all the way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

10 hours if you "punch it".
    Slow down and see the local sights.

Boolit Master
    Last summer we went to Devils Tower. Amazing place. Next summer we're thinking of flying to Minot and driving right to Glacier.
    Last edited by Battis; 12-30-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you take Hwy. 2, it is pretty flat all the way and good road up to the front range. Not much traffic, which is a big plus to me. No big grades to climb, even if you cross Marias Pass on the south edge of Glacier, if you chose to go to the west side. If you travel I-90, you are pounding the pavement with quite a bit of tourist traffic.
    You can drop down to the Missouri River in several places, and Ft Peck reservoir. There are county museums in most of the town you pass through. You may want to plan early morning, late afternoon travel, as the headwinds can be fierce after 10 am. The east side of the park is cooler than the west side, and not as many people.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Da Momma wants to see Glacier. I said, OK, let's drive from Minot. I like the no-traffic route.
    Last edited by Battis; 12-30-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

I would do as Waksupi suggested and take Highway 2 W to Glacier. When you are done touring I would cut across central Montana coming back on 12 through Lewistown, Circle and plenty of other small towns. You will see more that way and get to meet real people. You can also take a ferry boat across the Missouri in a couple of different places. Though I live only 7 miles from I 90 I would avoid it if possible.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Must be nice to be able to "drive" to see something new.
    All we can do is drive in a big circle.

Boolit Master
    Funny you say that - I asked Da Momma if she wanted to go to HI. She always wanted to. I never really wanted to when I was younger but now, as I look out at the 33 degree freezing rain building up on my cars, it's appealing.

Boolit Master

My wife is an excellent organiser and planner.
    I told her once if a passenger jet crashed in our back yard she could have the dead laid out in alphabetical order with their luggage stacked at their heads before any rescue people showed up.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    My wife's the same way, which is great when traveling - I don't have to do anything. But, if that plane crashed in my yard, she'd blame me for buying a house where planes crash.

Moderator Emeritus

If you really want to be different, take the Amtrak to Whitefish, it goes through the Park, and rent a car there.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I was wondering about that train from Minot. It's about a 10 hr trip.