MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: I'm sore

Boolit Master

I'm sore

I've been busy swaging up some jackets. Did 106 .44 jackets from raw strip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	253182

My triceps, my palms and the right side of my rib cage are beat up sore. Some of the draws literally took my body weight to do the draws! (maybe I shouldn't have dropped 100lbs body weight, seemed it was easier at 250lbs )

I kept dropping things from my benches shelves due to the torque & vibration on some of the draws. I may be looking into a dedicated floor mount for the press, specifically when jacket making! (Wish I could swing a hydro press!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1576.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	253185

Corbin's CSP1 press & jacket maker set. I've had the jacket maker set since 2012, but don't often employ it. I've got a pretty good supply of J4 jackets, in both .44 & .30 cal.

I never had plans to produce jackets commercially, I'm more interested in the self reliance side of it. I don't think I could produce that many jackets with a manual press, without being laid-up afterwards!!

I'm sore, but had a blast going from strip to finished jackets by my own hand.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    You could regain some of the leverage by using a longer handle on the press (I thought Dave sold a longer handle for doing this? But not 100% sure on that?

Banned
    Who needs a gym membership ?
    Take up swaging

A few thousand more, and it'll just be another normal movement and ya won't get sore any more.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A few thousand more, and it'll just be another normal movement and ya won't get sore any more.

No, I'd be on a gurney Ed

I do really want to look into lowering the press for jacket making, I think I could gain better leverage that way.
    Actual bullet swaging is no problem at all where the press is mounted now; but I think it's too high for jacket drawing movements.

@475AR: I will check into a longer handle, it could accomplish the same thing. Thanks for the reminder / heads up.

ETA: Corbin DOES have a longer handle, CSP-1LH. Details state: "The CSP-1LH long handle is an option available for the S-Press to increase the leverage. It reduces the effort of such operations as jacket drawing from copper strip, or forming jackets from copper tubing."

This may be right up my alley! Thanks again
    Last edited by PbHurler; 12-18-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy

Not to rub it in, but the hydraulic press really shines when doing these draws. I make really thick big bore jackets from .090" strip and it moves that metal around like it's nothing. Amazing.
    Zbench

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zbench View Post
    Not to rub it in, but the hydraulic press really shines when doing these draws. I make really thick big bore jackets from .090" strip and it moves that metal around like it's nothing. Amazing.
    I wish I could get into a hydraulic press but every time I start saving $$ it seems to evaporate before I have enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    every time I start saving $$ it seems to evaporate before I have enough.
    I have found that expenses not only rise to meet income, but that expenses are always income- plus 10%.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    That is one really nice bench you got there, is that a 2x4 on edge ? or more ?
    Where did you get your press riser ? I made mine out of lumber, had to make bolts long enough for it too.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master

Maybe I should try to get into jacket making. About ten years ago I got the big Hydra-Swage by Richard Corbin at the A-Square auction for $260. Since then I use it for lead wire extrusion, 50 BMG bullets and several other calibers as H dies became available at a price I was willing to pay. It sounds like drawing jackets is the next logical step to take in using this press. It gets tiresome making draw dies to draw down 30 & 6.5 jackets into all the other calibers I need.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    That is one really nice bench you got there, is that a 2x4 on edge ? or more ?
    Where did you get your press riser ? I made mine out of lumber, had to make bolts long enough for it too.
    Yes, the top is 2x4 yellow pine on edge, laminated together with West Systems epoxy. I pipe clamped each few boards together. then belt sanded the whole thing. Stained, then 3-4 coats satin urethane. The "legs" are 2x2 steel angle iron "boxes" with a bottom cross member for the lower shelf. I have X-Bracing made of steel cable with turnbuckles between the two box ends. It's pretty darned stable.

The riser for the swaging press was offered by Corbin, but I don't see it listed on the website. I've had this one since ?1990?, bought it with my press.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 12-20-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Maybe I should try to get into jacket making.

Bob
    As Zbench mentioned above; a Hydro Press would be the "bees knees" for the jacket making process!!

(I really wish I could swing one)
    Bob

Just build a hydraulic press... Its not hard and can be done pretty cheaply... especially if you can do your own machining...

Boolit Buddy
    That bench is just down rite Beautiful IMO. I did find a press riser by Inline Fabrication that is very similar, but I don't think it would handle the CSP-1 or 2. I could be wrong about that tho.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !