Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: yard sale and roadside scavenging....

Boolit Master
    I am a plumber that saves solder scraps 95-5 is to expensive now days not to use the whole roll. Besides it would not be fair to the customer not to use the roll up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    One benefit of having refugees moving here from the North West:
    A couple have given me their old, big, heavy, pure Lead salmon weights they brought, that are now 'useless'.
    Down rigger balls and bottom fishing lead, that I find at garage sales and thrift stores is a major source of lead for me, here in the PNW. It doesn’t seem to be pure, it seems to all have a bit of tin in it. A 3b pencil cuts and a 4b slides on the surface.

JM

Wheel weights are still a decent proposition around here. I got 6-8 shops that will give em to me free
    Once sorted I usually get 1/3 to 1/2 a bucket from a full 5 gallon bucket. I can definitely see it going downhill just in the last couple years though. I've started sifting berms for range scrap here lately & been doing pretty good. Got 70-80lb in about 1 hour a couple weeks ago.

Boolit Grand Master
    Didn't look for lead weights way back when, but there were "rumble strips" cut in the turnpike where I used to live. Would look out for hubcaps/trim rings. Ended up with extra hubcaps for my old chevy pickup and trim rings for my Pontiac Rally II wheels!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Well, Tuesdays road trip didn't produce very much. All of the off ramps were the high speed type where 2 lanes exit and merge with 2 more lanes. No doubt there were weights laying around but slowing up enough to look was not possible. Oh well!

We did have a short trip yesterday that produced a big handful. This was in a regular place that we go by but I guess the recent rains uncovered them. They were 100% lead.

I'm amazed at how many of yall are picking up ww off the side of the rd. If I can't get at least half a 5 gallon bucket at a time I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sgms18 View Post
    If I can't get at least half a 5 gallon bucket at a time I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything.
    It's the same mindset as spending 5 minutes 'un-denting' a common .38Spec. case.
    It's not as productive as using your time for something else, but it feels good to beat the system.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

About the only things yard sales have produced for me in the way of lead has been cheap shot.
    I only use the smaller sizes ( 6s, 71/2s, and 8s).
    I have accumulated a lot of larger shot that I won`t use but don`t want to melt it down.
    4s and larger, I don`t need....dale

Boolit Master
    I got super fortunate yesterday, and was given unrestricted access to a local indoor shooting range that I used to work at! a full day of Moving 1/2 full 5 gallon pails yielded me more lead than I can use in a lifetime! Man I am so stoked! Years of scavenging wheel weights, and seeing them start to become less and less available was getting me down at times! I once had about 1/2 ton of lead, but have whittled it down to about 150lbs. I was starting to think I was going to run out!

No more worries about supply now! The range has only been mined about 50% of the first of two bays, and I may gather some more for trading purposes. And get this, all for freaking FREE! The owner and I have been good friends since the business was being planned, and built. I helped him get it up and running.

Boolit Master
    Making the most of the opportunities that come your way is what the lead scavenging game is all about. Congrats!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    I got super fortunate yesterday, and was given unrestricted access to a local indoor shooting range that I used to work at! a full day of Moving 1/2 full 5 gallon pails yielded me more lead than I can use in a lifetime! Man I am so stoked! Years of scavenging wheel weights, and seeing them start to become less and less available was getting me down at times! I once had about 1/2 ton of lead, but have whittled it down to about 150lbs. I was starting to think I was going to run out!

No more worries about supply now! The range has only been mined about 50% of the first of two bays, and I may gather some more for trading purposes. And get this, all for freaking FREE! The owner and I have been good friends since the business was being planned, and built. I helped him get it up and running.
    That sounds like a great opportunity! You were smart, only filling those 5 gallon buckets half full.

you know I have only seen a very few WW's laying around, and have noticed the "quality" of buckets going down. Places that used to be 80-90 percent lead are now down around 50% or a bit over, the rest steel or zinc. The price for a bucket is still low enough that the bucket works out to be an ok price but it was a lot better at that 90% lead that is for sure.

I think I have about 8 or 9 hundred pounds of them built up over the years. Only have one more bucket to make into ingots and they will all be processed. Over the last few months used up some to make batches of ready to use alloys.

I'm torn about continuing to try and get more. I'm pretty sure I won't need them. Not much room for marking them up between what I pay and what they would sell for. But do feel that I may be wasting an increasingly rare commodity if I stop going after them. I can't say for sure but I think in S&S berm lead sales are more common than WW sales.

Some of us lived through the end of lead based printing and scooped up deals on linotype, foundry and monotype. Many enjoyed the years of free or nearly free WW's both of those times are passed or passing. I didn't catch the heyday of that stuff but did manage to take advantage of the tail end of it. I think some coming from those that accumulated when the supply was plentiful and having it disposed of in their later years or as an unsellable item in their estates. Now it is berm mining and bullet traps. My guess is some will take berm mining to a really sophisticated operation. Hopefully supplying many. There may well be a growing market for bullet traps too. If I had my own range I would already be using one. Even one made for me would save me costs in the long run.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I'm torn about continuing to try and get more. I'm pretty sure I won't need them. n.
    That's where I'm at.
    Now days, I just look at scrounging as a harmless and incurable addiction.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's where I'm at.
    Now days, I just look at scrounging as a harmless and incurable addiction.
    Yeah one more ain't going to hurt. It isn't like it is crack or something, I mean I could quit if I wanted to... Yeah I'm sure I could. No problem, I could quit right now, but I'm not because I don't want to not because I can't. Because I can, if I wanted to, which I don't.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Yeah one more ain't going to hurt. It isn't like it is crack or something, I mean I could quit if I wanted to... Yeah I'm sure I could. No problem, I could quit right now, but I'm not because I don't want to not because I can't. Because I can, if I wanted to, which I don't.
    You're hopelessly hooked...........admit it!

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    You're hopelessly hooked...........admit it!
    Hello my name is RogerDat and I have a problem turning down lead. Free lead for sure, cheap also, even a good price makes it unlikely I will resist temptation. It isn't really a problem unless dear wife figures out I don't have an expensive mistress but blew all that money on LEAD!

Boolit Buddy
    And that is a problem how? You do have a mistress. Her name is Lead.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Second mistress's name is Tin...

Boolit Grand Master

This morning side trip turned up a battery cable end and a handful of weights. Just from looking out of the window at stop signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Second mistress's name is Tin...
    It is especially nice when I get both mistresses together and hot at the same time. Generally leads to a good time for the next couple or three hours.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123