Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ar ??

Boolit Master

Ar ??

I realize the AR15 isn't a military weapon per se.

I'm relatively new to them. I got one question:

Is theat charging handle/bar supposed to cycle with the bolt? Sometimes?

I've had 3 different charging handles on this thing and it still comes back and gets my attention.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    Not in my experience

Boolit Master

Nope. Charging handle is supposed to stay locked in Place. The bolt should slide back and forth without unlocking the charging handle. Something is out of fitment.

Boolit Buddy
    Does your charging handle lock forward when you draw the bolt to the rear and release it? If not there is something wrong. You are not riding the charging handle forward when you close the bolt are you? If you are not releasing the charging handle when you retract the bolt you will need to push it forward to lock it into the upper. The only reason the charging handle would cycle is if the lock is broken, the spring that activates the lock is broken or missing, or you are not locking it forward when you slowly close the bolt.

Bill

On heavy kickers if you have an oversized or otherwise heavy latch they can unlock and let the charging handle hit you in the nose when you shoot.

Boolit Master

it should not, you have problems. the handle itself has a small hook on the latch that grabs a ridge on the rcvr. that hook should keep it from moving during firing.

Most likely it's a sticky latch or broke spring. Could be the notch that the charging handle hooks into is rounded or not deep enough. If it's worn and rounded badly you can drill about a 7/32 hole there for the hook to grab onto. If it's not real bad you might dress it up with a dremel. If I'm not mistaken, there is an aftermarket latch or a mod for the oem latch that's specifically to address this.

Boolit Master

since you have had 3 different handles on it, my money would be a faulty upper. probably the part that the handle grips is missing on the upper.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Something's hanging up the charging handle to retract back with the bolt (this can really hurt you if you're close) because in theory, the handle can rack the bolt back but it shouldn't be the other way around.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Exactly. I'd also check the alignment of the tube on top of the bolt. If it's bent or has a burr it may be dragging the charging handle back with the bolt.

If it is a standard charging handle, lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Now push the OP handle fully forward to see if it latches in place. If so, use finger pressure on the RIGHT side to push back on the op handle. It shouldn't move. If it does you need a deeper detent on the upper. Pics would be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If it is a standard charging handle, lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Now push the OP handle fully forward to see if it latches in place. If so, use finger pressure on the RIGHT side to push back on the op handle. It shouldn't move. If it does you need a deeper detent on the upper. Pics would be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks to all. I had to bubba the latch indent. Seems to not release now with pressure.

Rick C.

Banned

even if it doesn't latch (they actually sell charging handles that don't) if its a decent charging handle it shouldn't hit you in the face. Some cheap ones will have enough friction from the gas block to come back but still shouldn't hurt you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    even if it doesn't latch (they actually sell charging handles that don't) if its a decent charging handle it shouldn't hit you in the face. Some cheap ones will have enough friction from the gas block to come back but still shouldn't hurt you.
    it was just getting my attention. seems like my bubba work did the job.

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    make sure the channel inside the charging handle is lubricated. also, check to make sure it locks to the upper receiver when all the way forward. if those things don't fix it, something is out of alignment or off spec with either the charging handle or the carrier key (the part that mates to the gas tube).

Banned

the gas block can come loose on a poorly staked bolt and cause that problem too.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, appreciate all of the info.

Rick C.

Banned
    Clarification on the military thing.

What I have read the military says the following... In order to be considered a Military weapon the gun has to have a detachable magazine, be intermediate caliber, be capable of 200 or 300 meters range (not sure), be able to switch from full automatic to semi automatic operation. Therefore 45cal acp, and 9mm do not qualify because they are not considered to be intermediate caliber.

The charging handle thing...

Sounds like it isn't locked in order for it to come back in your face or possibly a faulty latch /spring or completely worn out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    Does your charging handle lock forward when you draw the bolt to the rear and release it? If not there is something wrong. You are not riding the charging handle forward when you close the bolt are you? If you are not releasing the charging handle when you retract the bolt you will need to push it forward to lock it into the upper. The only reason the charging handle would cycle is if the lock is broken, the spring that activates the lock is broken or missing, or you are not locking it forward when you slowly close the bolt.

Bill
    This is the only thing that makes any sense in my opinion.

Banned

PSA upper have had a problem on and off again where the recess is not milled deep enough for the charging handle to latch. Simple fix on your own or send it back to PSA for replacement. They have lifetime warranty and will pay shipping both ways.

Don't call PSA you will not get what you need. You need to contact Josiah over at ar15.com in the industry section under the PSA sub forum. He will get you everything you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast