Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Savage MK II 10 Round Feeding Problem

Savage MK II 10 Round Feeding Problem

I got a very clean one with three mags. The 5 round mag had flawless feeding and the two 10 round mags would feed with 5 round loaded. But when 10 rounds were loaded it became a strength contest on feeding and closing the bolt. I found that the bottom portion of the post that picks up and pushes the cartridge into the chamber had a right angle basically creating a broaching tool scraping a large gouge in the bullet below the one being pushed into the chamber. I looked at my CZ bolt and that portion of the bolt was chamfered. I broke out a needle file and small stone and chamfered that portion of the Savage bolt and now have perfect feeding. The damage rounds had irregular points of impact but now that the problem is fixed I can shoot the centers out of clay pigeons at 100 yards,

Phots include damaged bullet and modified bolt.

Attachment 253135Attachment 253136

Good to know information for us gunsmiths, both active and retired. I have one of these rifles, but only the one magazine that came with it new, and have experienced no problems.

Boolit Master

I have a MKII savage, the bolt is chamfered, came that way from the factory.

Maybe yours was built on Friday at 4:45.

The rifle is solid design, sure would have been happy to spend another few bucks on better magazine, and magazine attachment.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I love the little rifle and now that I made the mod is is a very slick accurate 22. I figured the bolt was made late in the day and being a retired gunsmith it was a quick fix.