Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long term gun storage

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    In the past I bought some surplus aircraft tools that were coated in something, that on the outside was more wax like. Anyone know about that stuff ?

Here's something that works! I bought this Ballard from the son of the owner. He was in his 80's and said he and his brother removed the wood on all their dad's guns 50 years before, and coated all the metal (including sights!) with varnish!

Took a few minutes with acetone and a rag just to get that one spot removed to see what the caliber was! Then another 7.5 hrs. to remove the rest of the varnish completely! But their crazy plan actually did keep the finish perfect!

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Lanolene spray .Spray onto a cotton cloth and wipe over the metal parts . Sarted doing this a while ago , because every thing steel I touch rusts where I put my hands . Works well .Firearms smell like sheep which helps my Kiwi mates feel at home .

Boolit Master

Warming the subject rifle with a hair dryer before coating with your preferred preservative would probably help drive off any moisture. I suppose most of the preserved military rifles were "hot dipped".

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    In the past I bought some surplus aircraft tools that were coated in something, that on the outside was more wax like. Anyone know about that stuff ?
    Sounds like Cosmolene
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Greg,

Sounds like Boeshield... A Boeing product that sprays on and dries to a waxy consistency.
    Works GREAT on my bullet moulds!
    Of course, I can't find the can at the moment.... But here's a link to the product: https://boeshield.com/ .
    Best of Luck,

-Tom

Boolit Buddy
    RIG grease has worked well for me for long term storage

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    My pap died in 1990 . Before he died he put his handguns away in a dynamite box with a thin coat of Rig on them . My dad had them in his unheated and uncooled shop building unpacked until he died in 2017 . When he died I got the guns . The handguns coated with Rig had no rust , the rifles were not coated and had rust that left pitting when removed . I am a firm believer in Rig .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

After hurricane Harvey I had to put my safe in the garage for ten months while my home was redone (flooded) . I gave everything a healthy dose of Ballistol inside and out. I checked on it from time to time not a lot as the safe was hidden by furniture and boxes intentionally. Everything faired very well and I live on the Gulf coast near Galveston,TX. Glad to have the safe back inside a climate controlled house and am a big believer in Ballistol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12