RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 17 Hornet loudness

17 Hornet loudness

How loud are the 17 Hornets? I am thinking about buying one. I am wondering about when we shoot gophers, we are gathered around a pickup truck. I don't want to blast everyone else. Any comparison to a 17 HMR? Thanks
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Way louder than a 17 HMR. Its about 90% of a .223.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I shoot mine with plugs in. Just like a 22, and M-Ttecs right.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been shooting the 17 Hornet since it was first announced (bought the first Ruger 77/17 offered on GB) and I sure wouldn’t characterize its report as 90% as loud as a .223 (seeing is how a factory loaded round only has a 12 grain powder charge).

That said, the 357 magnum (with magnum loads) is a whole lot louder than a 44 magnum (with magnums) and it (the 357 Magnum) most assuredly has a smaller powder charge.

What I’ll share definitively is that it’ll be louder than a 17 HMR and to my ear (unsuppressed) it’s report falls between the 22 Hornet and the .223 (and IMHO closer to the 22 Hornet).

Sadly due to urbanization of my local hunting areas I had to have my Ruger 77/17 Hornet threaded for a suppressor to keep the noise complaints to a minimum.

With 11.0 grains of Lil Gun and a 20 grain ZMAX bullet it’ll knock a jackrabbits head smooth off inside 100 yards (if you hit them just right).

To give you an idea of what the 17 Hornet sounds like suppressed here’s a video of me firing mine in the field with a Gemtech Titanium Trek suppressor at some Jackrabbits.

Distance was 200 and 225 yards respectively.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RME1NmPmEMo

Banned

I have a Contender rifle in .17 HMR I have been seriously considering having rechambered to .17 Hornet. Should be an easy conversion since you can change a Contender from rimfire to centerfire easily. My opinion, the .17 HMR is almost worthless, not powerful enough to be a real varmint cartridge and way too destructive on edible small game.

Is the .17 Hornet pretty easy to get good accuracy out of?

Boolit Grand Master

On average I kill 500 prairie dogs a year with the 17 HMR. Out to about 125 yards it is deadly. I have used it on skunks, fox and a few coyotes. For yotes you need to pick your shots carefully.

The bulk of my and prairie dog partner is with 223 AR based match rifles. Mine has a 28" barrel and my buddies is 24" barrel. He has the 17 Hornet and I have the 22 Hornet. Both are in CZ 527's with shorter barrels than the 223's so with equal barrel length the noise level difference may be greater. 16" 223's get really loud.

We both purchased the CZ's to bridge the gap between the 17 HMR and the 223. Neither one of us was happy with the results. His 17 Hornet has a higher pitch report than my 22 Hornet. Both are more of a challenge to reload.

Not sure how the twist compares better the 17 HMR and the 17 Hornet. The 17 Fireball eliminates the reloading issue of the Hornet based cartridges.

His 17 Hornet does shoot very well. If I purchase a 17 center fire it will be the Fireball.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-16-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Do you think a Silencerco Sparrow in 22 lr would help the report very much? It is moving pretty fast.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you think a Silencerco Sparrow in 22 lr would help the report very much? It is moving pretty fast.
    I’d check with the manufacturer and see if the sparrow is rated for the 17 Hornet.

I have used my SWR Spectre II on my Ruger 77/17 and it handled it fine but the Hornet might be a bit much for the Sparrow reference the volume of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    How loud are the 17 Hornets? I am thinking about buying one. I am wondering about when we shoot gophers, we are gathered around a pickup truck. I don't want to blast everyone else. Any comparison to a 17 HMR? Thanks
    I don't care how load it is, I wouldn't shoot any gun without ear protection. Now Rock music is to be heard without ear protection.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    As loud as three Karens arguing with the manager!