WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many cast boolits do you make.

Boolit Buddy

How many cast boolits do you make.

I've been casting boolits for about 30 years now. I was in the garage casting.45 slugs and filled my 50 cal ammo can to the top. I realized I don't cast to make a specific amount of boolits by count, Rather I cast to fill different containers. I use 30 cal ammo cans, 50 cal and some large plastic containers. I have several ammo cans filled with different weights/designs of the same caliber. Does any one else do this or do you keep count of exactly what you have?

Boolit Master

I cast by weight. I have these plastic jars I get from the dollar store. They hold 20lbs of bullets. Each bullet gets three containers. When I get halfway through the last container. I fire up the pot and refill the containers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I have started using 30 cal containers. I cast them enough to fill up and when I pull the last of it (or close) to coat/lube and size, it is time to cast more. I only cast one boolit for 45 at present so I am a lot more touchy when that container gets light than 38, which I cast several boolits for. Maybe time to either fill up a second container with the 45s I like, or find a second boolit profile.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I usually cast a ProMelt pot full at a time. I might cast two on some days, but it's always the pot that stops me and not any count. I do that later.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Same as you. Who wants to count.

Filling a 50cal can with lead isnt impossible to move...just smarter to fill it where ya wanted it in the beginning...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I usually cast a ProMelt pot full at a time. I might cast two on some days, but it's always the pot that stops me and not any count. I do that later.
    . Same here.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I buy lead in 50 lb packages and I use a shoe box to drop the bullets from the mold. I usually do 10 lbs in an hour and take a break. Couple hours a day should give about 40 lbs of bullets.

I cast till I get tired or board. That's sometimes multi pots or 6 boolits just depends on how I feel that day.

Boolit Master
    I cast by the season. I manage to get out to the range once or twice a week year round. So, about this time every year I inventory and estimate how much of each mold I might need to last until this time next year. Add up all the different molds and I might cast 4000-5000 each winter.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I use only 30 cal ammo boxes. I still don't have a hernia.

i cast one full then sizelube that full can so they are ready to load.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I cast by the season. I manage to get out to the range once or twice a week year round. So, about this time every year I inventory and estimate how much of each mold I might need to last until this time next year. Add up all the different molds and I might cast 4000-5000 each winter.
    Heh, I am seasonal as well, but different. IN the winter I can't count on casting because I do it outside and no telling whether the area I cast will be clear and dry, covered in a layer of ice (now), or a foot of snow. October through February is hunting season so my range visits are mostly quick drop ins for an hour of handgun shooting at the indoor range. I go through a lot of boolits on these visits. When game is not in season, I also frequent an outdoor range. Then I shoot a lot of rifle and black powder. Fewer shots, less lead, but each shot is a bigger deal. Casting is mostly spring and fall, since the summer tends to be too hot.

One of these days I will make it to a dedicated black powder shoot. I imagine I will go through a lot of my stash of round balls in a day when I do.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I cast what I feel like and if I need more I buy them or loaded ammo. Life is too short to slave over the casting pot. I cast enough to stay proficient but I would rather be shooting.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

If it is a known mold and boolit type and I have a gun that I know I will use it in, I usually do a ProMelt pot full like Beagle said. But if it is a new mold and an untried boolit for a new gun , I usually run about 100 to test with, which is what I did today. I have run a batch that would nearly break the shelf on my book case I keep them but not any more.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Depending on the guns I'm loading for, I glance at the pile of fresh boolits piled onto the old bath towel and think, that's enough.

Sometimes when I run out mid summer when casting is no fun, I think about my lack of sophistication in inventory trackibg per casting session.

Sometimes when a mold is spectacularly in the zone, it is tough to stop.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    Depends on the boolit weight more than anything. I have H&G 4 cavity molds in, 45 #68, 38 #141 and a 32 #219. I cast for an hour with the 45, hour and a half with the 38 and 2 hours with the 32. All equal about 17lbs. Rifle boolits are a different story. I switch between several molds until I have had enough. The worst are my old Ideal single cavity molds.... lots of casts not many boolits!!!!

Boolit Master

I cast from an old Pro-Melt or a MAG-20. Pot gets down to 1/4 full, I fill it up and set the molds I'm using on the hot plate. Take a break, drink coffee, smoke my pipe. After 15-20min the pot is back up to temp and I start over. Do it maybe 2-3 times. Clean up, put iron molds in safe on top of dehumidifier bar. End up with 6-700 bullets, I'm slow.
    All I can do these days. Arthritis in just about every joint.
    Next day I cull and count, pack in small plastic containers that hold a 100 45-250gr bullets. What I can still able to pick up with one hand.

Used to be I would cast from a 20lb pot on each end of the table, hot plate in the middle. Cast from 3 4cav molds at a time. Got 17,000+ bullets one weekend, culled.
    Called in sick to work for 2 days. Never again. From then on 6 hours tops, 4-5,000 bullets in a session. Was plenty
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I tend to cast 10-20 lbs at a time. That tends to be the end of my attention span.
    WWG1WGA

Banned

Boolit Buddy
    I’m about one year and 11 molds into this whole casting thing. The vast majority of what I’ve been doing has been load development, figuring out my alloys, and figuring out fit. I’ve only been casting 200 to 300 per mold, per session for the most part. I just want to cast enough to develop a good load that I can standardize for each gun.

I have however cast one big coffee can 3/4 full of 148 grain .358” TL wadcutters. This was my first 6-banger and I wanted to see how many bullets I could cast on a Saturday.

JM

JM7.7, I've been casting over 40 years and,not significantly different from your response,haha. Give me 2-300 hundred really sweet,"pick a rifle cal" and am GTG. Work on load development with about half,blast enough of the rest for almost daily zero checks,varmint hunting takes care of the rest..... wash,rinse,repeat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast