RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion

Opinion

I have the luck of living in the middle of a wildlife management .
    I was told I'm not really hunting since instead of getting up at 03:00, sneaking through the woods, climbing into a blind, and then waiting for deer while freezing my butt
    off I sleep till 06:30, get up, make a cup of coffee and the go watch out my basement window. is there any real difference aside from my comfort level ?? Your opinion ??

BTW to me the venison tastes the same either way
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 12-16-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

I've always figured that a guy's "luck" is whatever he can make it! Some guys are willing to go that extra mile to get the edge on their game. I like a warm place to hunt, and like being able to fry up a sliced venison heart with onions and potatoes on the wood stove while watching out the window of my cabin.

Don't make extra work for your self.
    Plenty of other people are glad to do that for ya.

Your deer blind is on par with this guy's,,,,,,,,,,
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Doesn't the steam fog up his scope ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

I don't hunt either, I just go shoot something.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I live on a small acreage (58 ac). I walk from the house to one of three blinds which are from 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the house. I share these with my two sons on opening weekend each deer season. I have designated one what I call "a safe area" for the deer and other game. I don't ever venture into those areas unless it is to retrieve shot game (only once in the past 40 years.) Yes my property is very rough and I don't use it for any other reason other than to enjoy the property. I only brush hog/ mow about 15 acres or so and the rest is timber covered. We enjoy seeing game animals from the house on a regular basis. I don't shoot any game from the yard area around the house. I figure it this way; I don't really own the game on this property. I'm just a steward passing through at the moment. So how does this work for me you might ask. This year this property has netted us 4 turkeys, and 6 whitetail bucks. I have lots of good memories of hunts gone by with family and friends, and a freezer with lots of game meat. So the game management techniques we use here seem to work for us.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Doesn't the steam fog up his scope ?
    I wondered about that too, but the auto parts store sells some stuff for your windshield that keeps it from fogging up.
    He might be using something like that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thanks for the opinions folks
    I only have an acre here but there is about 14,000 acres of state park/ wildlife management area around me. Thankfully I seem to be at the crossing of several game trails. Nice doe came by this morning, a couple of more days and I'll be enjoying some jalapeno and cheddar sausage as well as whatever my my wife roasts, fries, or otherwise cooks up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Food's food. As long as the backstop is safe, there is nothing to be concerned about. I bet you make some very good shots from there. Have done the same thing myself. My tree house (stand) is about 70 yards from the house, on 4 16' 6x6's, 6x8 floor, trap door entry, shingled roof, 3' knee wall to cut the wind, open on all four sides to the roof, 1/2 pvc pipe w/ a funnel from the "house" to 2' under the ground (urianl), scrap carpet to lesson my foot falls, and a bench seat from a mini-van as my seat. Creek to my left, pond behind me & my hayfield beyond the pond. All this overlooks my walnut grove w/ planted grass & clover. Yes---I do fall asleep up there with regularity. Certainly not the rugged hunting of my youth, but most certainly a joy in my dotage.

I shot my best buck from my front porch. Made up for wading through locust thickets to shoot a spike earlier in life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We've done similar to what smoked turkey had done. 18 acres with most undisturbed, a couple mowed areas and bam deer flock it. Neighbors have a feeder, we have walnuts among others. It ain't cheating to watch the patterns, and set in the right spot at the right time of day. Cheating would be to drive a cornfield at night and plug one from the truck. Also very illegal.

Boolit Master

It's still hunting and yes I am jealous. When can we come over?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I’m in a log home, dug into the side of a steep mountain. We have one room dedicated as a shooting box, but so far we haven’t used it. Elk, Muleys, moose, grouse and others populate our 5 acres, which are backed up to hundreds of acres of mountain top , where a high dollar development company was going to build then changed their minds. I’m the only one who has access to all that land. But I’m happy in the cabin or on the porch to hunt from. I literally don’t even have to go outside, let alone go hunting. It’s almost like playing a video game, just waiting for something to pop out. Sure Beats the days when I sat at the edge of a field with an apple on the end of my rifle ��

Boolit Master
    I am much like smoked turkey, I don’t shoot the yard critters. The hunt for me is seeing how close I can get on their terms on their turf. We enjoy watching their antics, turkeys playing with our cat to deer snitching fruits of the trees. We do not feed them, but they still get used to people and lose their edge nest the house. I am about to change that if a certain buck doesn’t quit tearing my trees up! Whatever works for folk is fine by me. I have lived here for 60 years, could shoot some food most any day, but I rarely go out hunting that I don’t see something. Living where and how I do, it’s about like I envision some of the hunting camps I have read about, kinda deer glamping! Would not trade it for living on any golf course or city block, no way no how!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

You guys are living my dream.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Great, the fellows that fuss about your good fortune need to get up a day earlier
    and hike 10 miles so they can feel good about themselves, he he he

Hunting is more than just shooting something, it is a lifestyle and where you
    live is a blessing

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Have a back stop? Go for it. Want more deer? Plant some apple trees.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    Have a back stop? Go for it. Want more deer? Plant some apple trees.
    Double edge sword around here. They definitely bring in the deer but also bears that scare off the deer. Somehow the bears know they are not the top of the food chain in our yard and never seem to give me a shot like the deer.

Our property is has 27 acres of Forest Wood Lot. Lots of deer are here year round. We have turkeys, squirrels, occasional varmint. My preparation for hunting is oiling the door hinges.

I have hunted in the woods and have enjoyed it. That was before my hunting partner passed away. Now hunting by myself isn't as fun as its usually a day-trip.

I told my BIL about the buck I shot in the back yard, he said that was not hunting. He claimed he had 250 hours in tracking a big buck on game cameras. I say meat is meat, He seems to think if it has huge antlers it is a better deer. Seems he wastes a lot of money on his taxidermy mounts too. I would rather leave the big ones for breeding. I have had his venison and it was gamey and tough. I'll take a pencil antlered buck any day.

Boolit Master
    I had to stop hunting in the yard. For starters I live inside city limits and we have a no discharging law on the books, and second my boys rat me out. The last rabbit I shot wasn't even done kicking before the oldest made it from the basement up to the top level of our house to tell his mom I shot a rabbit in the yard.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast