RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browning 1886 going rate?

I've owned the Jap Wins and Brn. I would say they are better only from the standpoint of being made of modern steel. Nothing wrong with function or accuracy either. Never bought on new but all were hi condition. The last one I had was Win 1895, 405Win. Nice rifle and shot well. Only shot about 60rds and traded it off. It just didn't feel like a original 95, it's hard to explain.

Last 1886 I bid on was Light rifle 1/2 mag 90%+. When I saw it I bid on nothing until it came up, about half way into 250 Gun auction. I had to get off at $3500 and my paddle caught fire. It went north of $5k. Gun was 45/70.
    The Brn 86s putt right along at $2k most shows I see them at. I never seen one that wasn't in hi condition. The guys who buy them take good care of them.

Boolit Master
    I paid like $1400 for a Browning 1886 SRC purchased from a Cabela's gun library in 2012. Used with box in fine shape and no/pre safety version....near as I can determine it's about 1992 vintage.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    I paid like $1400 for a Browning 1886 SRC purchased from a Cabela's gun library in 2012. Used with box in fine shape and no/pre safety version....near as I can determine it's about 1992 vintage.
    I paid $1643 OTD for mine. The guys in the Reno gun library thought it was unfired, but I fixed that as soon as I could.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Bub
    Hummm, our two Browning 1886's made in the mid-80's (I believe) by made by Miroku as are the current Browning/Winchester 1886's. So I don't understand the 'Jap Winchesters' vs 'the Browning Winchesters'. The current ones seem to abound on the auction sites and begin at 1900.00 to 2000.00 dollars. Of course the latest ones have been lawyered up. Most everyone I read about has had safety/trigger work done. Our two were made in 87' & 88 I believe. My first one I purchased used/no box from LGS for $950.00 about 15 years ago. Went looking about 4 years ago for another one for my daughter and after loosing out on three finally snagged one for $1650.00, unfired (other than factory of course) with box and papers. The semi-crescent but plate ate her up when shooting over cross sticks so had it restocked with a shotgun butt plate. We now both use it in the few SASS matches that allow rifle caliber rifle in the main match and use my soule (?) sighted rifle for the 300 to 400 yard side matches. Both RIFLEs are very accurate and have good triggers. Using the 86' in a main match is a total HOOT !
    Last edited by Sgt Red Leg; 12-22-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: incorrect dates
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142
    M1 Garand Collecter #21959
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life #16436

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Red Leg View Post
    Hummm, our two Browning 1886's made in the mid-80's (I believe) by made by Miroku as are the current Browning/Winchester 1886's. So I don't understand the 'Jap Winchesters' vs 'the Browning Winchesters'. The current ones seem to abound on the auction sites and begin at 1900.00 to 2000.00 dollars. Of course the latest ones have been lawyered up. Most everyone I read about has had safety/trigger work done. Our two were made in 87' & 88 I believe. My first one I purchased used/no box from LGS for $950.00 about 15 years ago. Went looking about 4 years ago for another one for my daughter and after loosing out on three finally snagged one for $1650.00, unfired (other than factory of course) with box and papers. The semi-crescent but plate ate her up when shooting over cross sticks so had it restocked with a shotgun butt plate. We now both use it in the few SASS matches that allow rifle caliber rifle in the main match and use my soule (?) sighted rifle for the 300 to 400 yard side matches.
    Both RIFLEs are very accurate and have good triggers. Using the 86' in a main match is a total HOOT !
    My son takes his Walker to night shoots at our pistol club for the same reason - 65 grains under a low tin roof at night - they all stop to come look before he can get the first cylinder away

I'm surprised so many of you guys have these! Thinking about it more, I think a uberti 1866 is going to fit the bill for me. Maybe one day I'll walk into an 1886.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    I'm surprised so many of you guys have these! Thinking about it more, I think a uberti 1866 is going to fit the bill for me. Maybe one day I'll walk into an 1886.
    Gotta look. Just make sure you’re aware of any shortcomings of any model you so choose. Happy Gun Hunting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12