RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionPBcastco
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about shoulder holsters.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I know very little about shoulder holsters. I had one forty years ago for a long barreled Model 27 and I am certain things have changed since then.
    I want to get educated on what is available nowadays to use with revolvers and semi-autos.
    I want to carry S&W model 60 3 inch, S&W model 15 4 inch, S&W model 686 6 inch, Beretta 92, 1911 full size, and Springfield Armory XDm 4.5 inch.

What is the most comfortable and secure?
    Are any available as a harness that you can attach other holsters to so I wouldn't need to get a rig for each handgun?

I realize that these are probably as personal as grips on a handgun since they need to fit an individual. I need to get an idea what is out there and what I may need to look for.
    As I said, I know next to nothing about them and need an education on current products.
    Any help would be appreciated. Opinions and reference material welcomed.

I am currently 6 foot tall and weigh around 290lb, most of which is around my waist. This makes a belt carry a little problematic. I often wear a hoodie or light jacket in all but the warmest months. I will need to figure out something else for summer carry.
    shamrock holsters , well made and fit both gun and you

Boolit Grand Master
    There are several bits of info here that deserve emphasis.
    First, that 6 inch isn’t going to conceal well in any shoulder holster I have ever seen, unless you routinely drape a poncho over yourself like Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western. It is just too big.
    Secondly, the advice to get a holster and harness set for each gun you intend to carry is spot on. Each gun will carry slightly differently and a shoulder holster that doesn’t fit right will annoy, vex, and irritate worse than a teenager with the sulks.
    Thirdly, shoulder holsters work better than belt holsters while seated. If you spend a lot of time seated while armed, you may find them advantageous. But a good belt holster works better if you contemplate most likely having to defend yourself while upright, and out and about
    Finally, I would limit my carry choices to one or two, at most, at least at first. You may find that shoulder holsters don’t work for you. Spending several hundred dollars for stuff you will not use is foolish. That said, I fear that I am saying “do as I say, not as I do.” I have three Galco rigs, one for my Colt Agent, one for my Sig P-6, and one for my Browning High Power. I have other rigs for hunting, a Six inch or longer barreled revolver is too long for me to be comfortable with it hanging off my waist. But the vertical holsters I prefer for this service are not concealable, unless you’re an Eskimo.
    Ask your buddies to see if anyone has one you can try before you go out and buy something that doesn’t work for you.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-16-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Many years ago when I was a LEO we were issued a S&W Mod. 14 .38 6" barrel. Probably 99.5% of us new guys rushed down and bought a 2" snub for an off duty weapon. But there's always one guy in every crowd who is........thrifty. This one fellow, Larry, carried his 6" in a vertical shoulder holster just like Dirty Harry, and it was very concealed beneath his suit coat or sports jacket. It was so unusual that I was always surprised when he took his coat off to see him wearing it. You would never suspect it's presence. But, back then we were all young and slim and for Larry it worked o.k. As we gain in weight and mileage it becomes difficult to conceal a 6" in any type of rig. A shoulder holster will still work under a bulky winter coat, but the problem is presented that as soon as one goes indoors where it's warm they'll want to remove the coat. I'll still carry a large revolver in a shoulder holster under a winter coat if I'm going to be out and about in the great outdoors in the wintertime, perhaps driving my snow blower equipped tractor, etc., but due to age and shape have found an inside-the-pants holster to work better if I'm going to be going in and out of buildings such as a trip to town--and this just doesn't work for a 6"! I think the point I'm trying to make is that the usefulness of a shoulder holster can change with age and body shape.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that the usefulness of a shoulder holster can change with age and body shape.

That is where I'm at and why I asked. I am a bit circumfrencialy challenged. Inside the waistband I am not certain would work for me.
    As stated by others, wintertime isn't a problem due to bulky clothes. I am concerned about warmer weather. Until hot weather gets here I can get by with either a heavy coat or a loose light jacket.
    Summer is my big problem. I like polo shirts and they tend to fit too tightly for good concealment. I have some things to work out here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that the usefulness of a shoulder holster can change with age and body shape.

That is where I'm at and why I asked. I am a bit circumfrencialy challenged. Inside the waistband I am not certain would work for me.
    As stated by others, wintertime isn't a problem due to bulky clothes. I am concerned about warmer weather. Until hot weather gets here I can get by with either a heavy coat or a loose light jacket.
    Summer is my big problem. I like polo shirts and they tend to fit too tightly for good concealment. I have some things to work out here.
    I don't have much to add but I would like to point out you might be "circumfrencialy" blessed.

Some see the glass as half empty, some as half full. I just top up my beer and have a full glass.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up a M&P 380 ez thinking my girlfriend would like to try it. I liked it having to try it first ya know. With a pocket holster it fits in my bottom cargo pants pockets which I wear all the time. Think I will carry that when not carrying my M&P 45c in my concealed vest which most of the time. I will occasionally wear my 45c in a iwb depending on what I am doing.

Cargo pants for a pocket gun!!! That never occurred to me! I like that idea.

Boolit Master

Tazman have a look Duluth is vary good for CC pants and there jackets have Deep pockets and they have real good sales
    https://www.duluthtrading.com/men/pants/ https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-f...-jackets-coats
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Tazman have a look Duluth is vary good for CC pants and there jackets have Deep pockets and they have real good sales
    https://www.duluthtrading.com/men/pants/ https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-f...-jackets-coats
    The Duluth are the cargo pants I mentioned in post #26. I started wearing them after Levi's pulled their stunt. Love em.

Food for thought

Depending upon where you regularly visit while carrying concealed (gov't buildings & airports come to mind), you should think about the possibility that you might have to leave the handgun in your vehicle while you go inside ( I use a pistol safe bolted to the floor of the vehicle, under a seat) - which means you may need a quick way to detach/re-attach the holstered gun several times.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12