RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about shoulder holsters.

Question about shoulder holsters.

I know very little about shoulder holsters. I had one forty years ago for a long barreled Model 27 and I am certain things have changed since then.
    I want to get educated on what is available nowadays to use with revolvers and semi-autos.
    I want to carry S&W model 60 3 inch, S&W model 15 4 inch, S&W model 686 6 inch, Beretta 92, 1911 full size, and Springfield Armory XDm 4.5 inch.

What is the most comfortable and secure?
    Are any available as a harness that you can attach other holsters to so I wouldn't need to get a rig for each handgun?

I realize that these are probably as personal as grips on a handgun since they need to fit an individual. I need to get an idea what is out there and what I may need to look for.
    As I said, I know next to nothing about them and need an education on current products.
    Any help would be appreciated. Opinions and reference material welcomed.

I am currently 6 foot tall and weigh around 290lb, most of which is around my waist. This makes a belt carry a little problematic. I often wear a hoodie or light jacket in all but the warmest months. I will need to figure out something else for summer carry.

Shoulder holsters-- a big, big subject as you've already surmised. Used to be that they were made of leather and had an elastic harness. Most went across the back and around the other shoulder. Some, like the Bianchi X-15 for larger revolvers and semi-autos carried the handgun vertically. There were models that carried smaller frame revolvers upside down. They eventually disappeared from the market. I've still got a couple in the big holster box. The idea for law enforcement, undercover, or well-dressed self-defense carry was that the supporting strap/harness should not be visible from the front with a coat on but open, but many models were (and are) made for hunting carry or for when the visibility of the strap doesn't matter like the WW II shoulder/chest holster for the 1911. Then, along came outfits like Uncle Mike's with synthetic material and webbed nylon harness, cheaper than leather. The last couple of years I've gotten more interested in single actions and have purchased some handcrafted leather shoulder rigs from Cactus Jack's and Whyte's Leatherworks (a member here with an impressive website). The harnesses on these are leather straps, and the holster carries the revolver upright with a draw from the top. One has only one strap which runs from the holster across the back, over the off side shoulder and down the front to secure on the belt. Still not visible with an open coat. I think the best thing you could do would be to go to a purveyor of such items like MidwayUSA and just do a search for "shoulder holsters" in the holster department. Many choices will come up, and looking at them and reading about their features is an education all by itself. I agree body shape and weather can make a shoulder holster just the ticket, and there's the added feature of the firearm being protected from the weather.

Boolit Master
    You are so right about each of us being different in holsters we can adapt to I like shoulder holsters but most of what I carry are smaller guns than what you list . I am 6' 220lbs and the largest 2 guns I cary in shoulder holsters that I feel conceal under a light jacket or sport coat are an HK usp compact 45 or my xdm 3.8 40 I carry both these in heavy leather leather holsters horizontal carry. For horizontal carry I like both a tension screw in the holster so the gun requires a good tug and a thumb break so if the thumb snap comes undone the gun does not fall out of the holster . If you wear these high you can get by without straps running to your belt or a strap running horizontally across your back from the gun to the mag pouch to keep it from swinging forward when you lean forward.
    For the two guns listed above I find them much more comfortable with a double mag pouch to off set the weight.
    I can't carry guns much longer than these horizontal when you sit and lean back the muzzle will push the gun/holster to the front the Galco Classic lite is a comfortable holster for light guns I have 3 I have not tried them with a heavy gun but have with a ppks an xds xde and a shield .
    The only long revolvers I have experience with shoulder carry are for hunting in an uncle mikes vertical a 71/2 Ruger old army and a 61/2 mod 29 but I think you will need a vertical holster for a revolver over 2 or 3"
    You can invest a lot in shoulder holsters to find out you can't get comfortable if I was to recommend one I say look at the galco Classic lite and see if they have a model that fits a gun you would carry 3-4" auto or 2-3" revolver and try one about a 100.00 new when you try it you will probably go through several adjustments to find one that suits you . I have had several nylon shoulder rigs and have not had any I would recommend for CC but I sure haven't tried them all . The Classic lite is a good little holster but not the best for heavy guns . The 1911 model would probably be fine with full size , commander or officers size guns.
    Hopefully you will get more ideas from some of the other guys.
    Last edited by onelight; 12-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Lot of good info posted. I have one for my S&W M&P 45c. Mine is all leather basically. Only wear it occasionally as it wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped. Have you thought about a carry vest? I have an Overland that I just modified slightly with velcro to use a pocket holster type setup as my 45 does not have a safety. I much prefer wearing this even to IWB as any weight is distributed across your shoulders and mine looks really good. May cost less than a shoulder rig but can't remember the cost off hand. I can get more info if you want.

Ron

Andrews Monarch is what I use. And you can swap holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have any experience with revolvers yet, but I do have one shoulder holster that has seen a lot of use with a full sized 1911. My only grype was the plastic waistband material that connected the belt loop with the holster didn't last at all. I've had it long enough all I remember is being sorely disappointed in that one little bit of the entire unit. (I put a leather dog collar on it) Still looking for one to hang a 629 in. Thanks for bringing this up, got me some new names for leatherwork from this post.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    Shoulder holsters have to fit you, and you need clothes cut to fit while wearing them if you want to be comfortable.
    I carried a full size Gov't 1911 in a ******* rig in the 80's it was a leather horizontal holster with a 2 mag. pouch on the far side. It was very comfortable for 8hrs, 12 in a pinch. Any more than that and it was torture. I was working plain clothes at the time and wore it under a sport coat. Get fitted for your sport coat with the rig on, otherwise it will bind. Galco took over "*******" and still sell the "Miami" rig. It worked for me. I was 6' tall and 185# and had no problems concealing a full size pistol.

I tried a vertical leather and elastic strap "Brauer" shoulder rig for a 3" Model 36 J frame S&W. It had a built in spring clip to tension the gun in the holster. It was awful, and anything but the most careful movements would dislodge the firearm.

I trout fish in waders....and carry my Shield 40 S&W in an Uncle Mikes nylon and plastic shoulder rig. It is not very comfortable but ok for 3 or 4 hours. It is inexpensive and an occasional dunking in the river causes it no harm. I would never use it for everyday carry.

My advice would be to try some on....imagine it 8 hrs later after a full days activity.....they are not for everyone.

Sorry for the asterisks...the brand name started with Jack and was the common name that referred to a mule or male donkey. For crying out loud it had no connection at all with the Democrat party.

I

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Lot of good info posted. I have one for my S&W M&P 45c. Mine is all leather basically. Only wear it occasionally as it wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped. Have you thought about a carry vest? I have an Overland that I just modified slightly with velcro to use a pocket holster type setup as my 45 does not have a safety. I much prefer wearing this even to IWB as any weight is distributed across your shoulders and mine looks really good. May cost less than a shoulder rig but can't remember the cost off hand. I can get more info if you want.

Ron
    The thought of a vest had never entered my mind. I didn't know they existed. That is a very interesting idea I will have to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    Andrews Monarch is what I use. And you can swap holsters.
    I was hoping somebody made on that would do that. I will definitely check it out.

Thanks to all who have posted. This is exactly the type of information I need.
    Keep the information coming.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Bianchi X series.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    +1 on the Bianchi X series.
    I have not used one but might be the best choice for the guns Taz listed .
    My concern with the X 15 is that it adds bulk at the belt line ( can interfere with narrow arm chairs )
    But there are compromises with them all. I have been tempted to try one myself.

Attachment 253074

Click to enlarge.

Here's the type of holster referenced by Rick and others. Galco is the "name" maker, but this one is Triple-K, and very well made. The pistol is a Star Mod. B; not quite, but close to a full sized 1911. It carries the pistol horizontally beneath your armpit, butt forward, and as noted by Mr. Wolf it evenly distributes the weight across your back with two magazines upside down on the off side. It has advantages, but isn't right for everyone or every circumstance. Never use this type of holster if you hold your pants up with suspenders!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a bunch of shoulder holsters, but my favorite, the Bianchi 9R is sadly among those things that are no more. It was an upside down spring clip holster that could double as a belt holster for snubby revolvers. I am about the same height as you, but 55 pounds lighter and still find that I am too fat for many of my old favorites. Only the aforementioned “Miami Classic” holsters really work for me now and that is what I would recommend you try.

What I like is that you put the holster on and you have the gun, and two reloads. You get home, take off the coat, and the harness and go watch TV. No bulges or lumps to deter the wife, kids or grandkids from being affectionate.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    Holsters are a personal thing and everyone is different. That being said, I have no use for shoulder holsters. There are some very specific situations where I think a shoulder holster is acceptable or maybe even the only choice but outside of those specific situations, I'm opposed to shoulder holsters.

People conducting long term surveillance while seated (like sitting in a car) may find a shoulder holster provides better comfort and access to the weapon.
    Some situations where seating is very confined (like pilots in small aircraft that need to be armed).

Some hunting situations where the gun doesn't need to be concealed.

However, generally speaking, I don't care for shoulder holsters.
    The gun is nearly impossible to defend. Not every encounter is a deadly force encounter. If your attacker discovers the shoulder holster during a physical, but non-deadly force encounter - the wearer of a shoulder holster has a real problem. A covering garment will help at a distance but is worthless when the fight gets close.
    Training with a shoulder holster is another issue. Drawing the gun requires the gun be swung through a huge arc from clearing the holster until it's on target. When shooting on a firing line, a right handed shooter with a shoulder holster must be on the far left end of the line so that he doesn't cover his fellow shooters during the draw. Re-holstering a weapon in a shoulder holster often takes two hands.

Now, none of this is Holy Writ and everyone is different but I think shoulder holsters come with some real tactical disadvantages.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 12-17-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've had one of Sam Andrews' upside down shoulder holsters for over 15 years, and it started out with a holster for a 4" N frame Smith, and Ive since added a holster for 3-4" K frames and one for a 1911. This past summer I found that the elastic straps that cross the back and go under my right arm had about died and I called Sam to se how much a new set would cost. He quickly told me that it was covered under his lifetime warrantee and we discussed how long ago I had bought the original from him here at an Atlanta gun show. That's real service for a rig that has served me well in several configurations. GF

Boolit Master

When I carried my 37 S&W it was in a Bianchi upside down SH. It could be worn 20 hrs. a day. I used it for around 10 years very happy.

New Chief came in and things changed he was a gun buff and said we needed this new S&W .40 to stay alive. So the city bought us new guns and some gear. The 4073 DAO was a weight pig along with the 2 mags we had to carry.

That was a hard gun to hide. I bought my own holster a Miami classic with the 2 mag pouches and a drop down handcuff holder. With the mags on the offside with the cuffs it did counter weight the loaded 4073. The guns holster was supposed to be fit to the gun, it was not so. I could not be sure of the button clip to actually be clicked in unless the gun was put in the holster when not wearing.

Not being my own gun I spent money on myself, I soaked the holster in very warm water and then put the gun in it and let it dry. That SS and alloy gun proved itself to be quite water resistant with no rust at all in my 72 hour off duty time.

I could then hide the gun and wear it for more than my 14 hour night shifts comfortably.

Being retired several years later I went to Glock's to carry. Their weight is in ammo not the gun IMHO.

Boolit Master
    One thing about shoulder holsters is you need to spend a good bit of time wearing one and get the strap adjustments worked out before giving up on them , for me they took some time to get comfortable with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Galco took over "*******" and still sell the "Miami" rig. It worked for me.
    I
    what i use for full sized autos

Boolit Master
    Way back many years ago when I worked security,I had one of the upside down shoulder rigs for an S&W .38 snubby.Saved my bacon one day.Had a drunk grab me by the throat and right arm.Simply drew the snubby with my left hand and introduced his family jewels to the muzzle.He not only wet himself but messed himself too.He left the area at a high rate of speed.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I use a shoulder holster almost everyday. I have a full setup for the 4 guns I carry. Don't change the holsters as you will not get any to fit you if you do. The one I like best is by Red Nickels for a Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP. It pulls the gun up in my arm pit enough that I can pull the gun in just about any way my body is. Andrews Monarch is what I use for a Colt Rail gun as it has a back strap to keep the gun from showing in front. I have a Null for a J-Frame S&W 357. I use a Galco for my N-Frame 4", bought many years ago. It will take some time to fill right all the time. You may need to change your cover wear. For off the shelf I like the Galco (long eared draft animal named one) over others.
    Last edited by warren5421; 01-19-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast