RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dillon Super 1050 primer hole swaging question

Boolit Master

Dillon Super 1050 primer pocket swaging question

Does the included 1050 swaging setup really clean the primer pockets like this? I assume it's not turning,is it?

And if it is,where is the crud from the pockets going to?

Found a good video that explains some: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nrTz5h5BhnY
    Last edited by Petander; 12-15-2019 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Add videolink

No, it doesn’t clean the pockets, just swages the entry point.

Banned
    Agree, swages the pocket very well

Boolit Grand Master
    Stuff might be fracturing in the primer pocket and just drop out

I wish it cleaned the primer pockets like that!

I do like my 1050's pocket swaging station, but it requires a ton of cleaning. I don't clean primer pockets on 9mm, only 5.56. Those are the only two calibers I load on the 1050. The 9mm makes a mess out of the swaging station.

If you're thinking about getting a 1050, make sure you get one of these. It makes adjusting the swaging station so much easier. Also get a primer pocket "go/no-go" gauge. It's really easy to adjust the swaging station to the point where it over swages the pockets, resulting in loose primers.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Grand Master

I use one of my 650's with a universal deprimer than tumble with SS pins so the pockets are clean before they go thru the 1050. The bulk of crimped cases I do are 45 acp, .223 and 308. I have only done a limited amount of 9's with no issue. What issues are you having with the 9?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone. That was too good to be true then.

Yes I have a Dillon fever, I feel the need for another press,set for 357. It could be a 650 but to beat LNLAP it would need a casefeeder. Then we are talking a grand so why not full 1050 while at it?

I like the "full progressive" idea with de-priming and all at once... but I also like clean pockets. I have pre-primed lately but did a few hundred the "full prog way" today and LNLAP priming just doesn't feel even, especially with dirty pockets. Had one light strike, never happens when I hand prime with the same components/gun.

I absolutely hate hearing "click" while shooting,horrifying...

Dang,choices,choices...

Boolit Master
    I deprime and ss tumble cases before they ever go in a sizing die. 223 always gets run through a pp swager as I use a lot of range pickup and it gets mixed up with mine.

I have reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds, old primer out, new primer in, no problem.

Seating them properly might be another issue. Inspect your “click” rounds for high primers. If that’s your issue the 1050 might actually be an improvement, because you set the depth of the primer with an Allen wrench and it is done on the down stroke with everything else. No requirement for you to do it on the handle up stroke, with some amount of push, like the other presses you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

Yes I have a Dillon fever, I feel the need for another press,set for 357. It could be a 650 but to beat LNLAP it would need a casefeeder. Then we are talking a grand so why not full 1050 while at it?

I like the "full progressive" idea with de-priming and all at once... but I also like clean pockets. I have pre-primed lately but did a few hundred the "full prog way" today and LNLAP priming just doesn't feel even, especially with dirty pockets. Had one light strike, never happens when I hand prime with the same components/gun.

Dang,choices,choices...
    I load at least 1k of 9mm per week on the 1050, full progressive mode. So of course that means dirty primer pockets. Light strikes just aren't a problem. You can adjust the 1050's primer system to seat those primers good and hard into even dirty pockets. The 1050's primer seating depth is highly adjustable, and once set, it's extremely consistent. The 1050's adjustable primer seating depth is one of the reasons I really like how the 1050 handles priming.

One of the downsides of the 1050's priming system is that it primes on the down stroke... the 1050 does everything on the down stroke. That being the case, you don't get a "feel" for how the primer is going in. But you don't really need to worry about the lack of "feel"; the priming system on the 1050 is consistent... you'll get the same seating depth with every pull. It would be nice to have that feel for when something goes wrong, though. The only time I've ever popped a primer while loading was on the 1050 when the priming system malfunctioned. Had I been able to feel it, it never would've popped.

I do have a primer station backing die (an aftermarket Dillon press "enhancement"), but don't really think it was necessary. I just kinda went nuts buying add-ons.

Edit: Looks like I shouldn't have run for coffee before hitting the post button... Mr. Morris beat me to it.
    Last edited by Phlier; 12-16-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master

Dang,choices,choices...
    Depending on how you pack your loaded rounds when finished mine go into 50 or hundred round ammo boxes bullet down , at the point it is easy at eye level to sight down the cases for a last check for a high primer.
    When placing the cartridge in the box the habit of running your finger across the base will often feel a problem .

Boolit Master
    Now Dillon got a new model out. Dang this is difficult.

Now Dillon got a new model out. Dang this is difficult.
    Yup.

Just some thoughts to hopefully make it an easier choice...

The 1050 is a great machine to load one or two calibers in, if you're looking to load bulk amounts of ammo in a short period of time. If you have an unlimited budget, then it's the ultimate machine. But for those of us lacking a VISA Black card, the caliber conversion kits and toolheads for the 1050 just make it waaaay too expensive to consider for more than a caliber or two.

Then as you go down the Dillon line, it's a constant trade off; you get less production capacity per hour, but more reasonably priced caliber conversion kits. It's just a matter of finding the press that hits that sweet spot for you... time per round loaded vs. how expensive it is to add more calibers.

FWIW, I have a 1050 that we use for 9mm and 5.56 only (three total toolheads, one for 9mm, one for 5.56 brass prep, and one for 5.56 loading), a 550 for the other calibers we shoot a lot, and a Lee Classic Turret Press for the rest. The 550 technically belongs to my 18 year old son.

If I were to do a from-scratch setup for just myself, I would go for either a 1050 or a 750 and an LCT and call it a day.

The decision kinda rests with what your particular needs are, though... Do you shoot a lot of bulk ammo in a couple of calibers? If so, then a 1050 is a perfect fit. Do you shoot a moderate amount of a lot of different calibers? If your budget allows it, go for the 750. If not, go for the 550. Do you shoot a small amount of ammo in a lot of different calibers? The 550 is a perfect fit.

Edit: And then to just muddy the waters a bit... you might consider a 650, as you might be able to pick one up at a discounted price since the 750 is now out.
    Last edited by Phlier; 12-17-2019 at 02:13 PM.