Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 not going all the way in...

30-06 not going all the way in...

Ok. Since you folks have been so helpful... I have been doing "busy work" to pass the time (a lot of depriming and sizing). I got to my 30-06 cases tonight and they will not fit more than 3/4 of the way into the die. I've lubed them up really good (inside and out) with Dillon Case Lube but they seem to take a lot of force once they get so far in. What am I missing? I don't have my press mounted permanently yet and since I'm still using my coffee table for a work bench I don't want to put a ton of force on my press (I don't want to damage the table).

My apologies now for not having pictures.

Boolit Master

Is the Sizing Die the correct one ? Or is it mis-marked ?
    We're the cases G.I. surplus that had been fired in an Automatic Firearm ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Might have to wait 'till you can mount the press to make it go. Correct FL die, properly set, w/ a lightly lubed case should work. Some (depending on the chamber the case was fired in - make of the case - hardness of the brass - etc.) will require some force. Bolt it down on a good work table, and I bet it will be much easier. Good luck.

Also...make sure you didn't end up with a small base die. If you did, and ended up with machine gun brass.....I could see troubles there.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not ammo I fired. It's a mix of cases (LC, WCC, Remington, Winchester, etc) that I was given. I tried several different ones (all with different head stamps) with the same issues.

Boolit Master
    Sounds to me like you need to bolt your press to a sturdy bench, and then size your brass.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned
    A little lube goes a long way, too much might be bad

Some dies have a vent hole in the side if this gets plugged it could cause a problem. check you die for a small vent hole and make sure it's clean and don't over lube the cases.

What press are you using? Lots of difference in the ability of a Lee C press and a rock chucker for example.

Boolit Master
    Andyt591, is your brass clean? like completely washed clean, no dirt, carbon or dust?

Boolit Master
    You know what is worse than the brass not going all the way in the full length sizing die ? It staying in the die and the rim pulling off . Take care to properly lube the case , clamp the press down securely , and if you still have trouble full-length sizing your brass - try removing the expander assembly and sizing the brass in increments , but remember to reapply lube as you go . A sturdy mounted press , and a good lube is a must for smashing hard to size brass into a die it doesn't want to go into . If you hear any squeaking stop and check your lube .

Boolit Master
    Andyt591... you mentioned in another thread that your buddy is teaching you the ins-n-outs of reloading... I recommend you take some of this brass and YOUR 30-06 die to his house and see how it works on a properly mounted press... Even if these cases were not fired through machine guns, they will take a lot more force to size down than the 38 Specials that you've been resizing...

I wouldn't try to size any shouldered rifle cases (223, 308, 30-06, etc...) on a press that was not securely mounted to a bench. I've done lots of straight-wall pistol loading on temporary setups, but a weak mount will not yield good results when sizing large cases....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Sounds to me like you need to bolt your press to a sturdy bench, and then size your brass.
    /\ Ditto /\

Boolit Grand Master

Brass fired in some semi auto may be harder to size also. Slightly larger chambers and more violent extraction. Coupled with a die that's at minimum dimensions force goes up a lot. Look for a bright ring at the case head. Another that can increase sizing force is Upper end loads as to pressure. with range pick ups and donated you don't have the load history of the brass.

I use lee imperial sizing die wax for sizing rifle cases. Applied lightly. It lowers sizing force a bit. A sizing lube can make a big difference. The old case former lube was anhydrous lanolin.

30-06 brass especially the later military cases are pretty heavy

Banned
    I doubt the OP can make any real evaluation of the problem until he bolts his press down to a proper bench.

Boolit Grand Master

^^^^^^^^^^^ yes bolt your press to a solid bench
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    So, what press are you using? Some of the smaller presses only have enough power to reload pistol brass. And my recommendation is to go buy some brand-new unfired 30-06 cases from a reputable company (Starline, Winchester, Remington, etc.) and try to run them through your resizing die to see if the die is the problem. And start your experimenting with good brass to get good loads. Also what brand of dies are you using? Normal size or small base dies? I have found some cheapy dies just don't have the smooth interior surfaces needed to properly resize rough brass. Have you cleaned your brass? And last, do you use a good resizing lubricant? I prefer Hornady's Unique lube as I can apply it in a more controlled fashion.

The press is a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. Dies are RCBS full length.

Boolit Master

OK, mount the press firmly.
    Number 3 shell holder (RCBS)
    Cases are lubed.
    Decapping pin just clears the shell holder hole to push primers out
    Run the case up until contact is felt and just a bit more.
    Retract the handle and turn the case 45 degrees.
    Retract the handle and turn the case 45 degrees, this should move it a
    bit further up into the die.
    Retract the handle and turn the case 45 degrees.
    Progress should be being made without sticking the case in the die.
    Continue until the case is full length sized and the die is lubed
    Same on the second case but should be easier.
    Third case should be able to go all the way without retraction, perhaps
    Let us know
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    Try a different lube. I use Hornady "unique" lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Andy, read #18 again, then do it. I reloaded for years with an RCBS Jr3 mounted to a dining room table (towel between press and table top, board between bottom of table and C clamps) mounted with two C clamps. You have a better press and, if your coffee table is strongly made you can do this just as you are. If it is not well made move to a stronger table. I never damaged a table or got a shell stuck. I have done what Skeetx posted several times with 308 and 30-06 military brass that I assumed were fired in a Machine Gun but never had a chance to confirm this. I also have made 8mmx06 from 30-06 with that same setup.
    Back then I was using RCBS sizing lube -which is STP rebottled. Now I use bag balm, which is basically lanolin with some additives.
    Good luck, pay attention to table strength and mounting and have at it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast