RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: New Winchester 1873's

Boolit Master

New Winchester 1873's

Are these new Winchester 1873's worth it ? I saw a couple today and thought they looked good but can they shoot. I'm thinking about the model with the half round barrel,pistol grip,blued receiver & shotgun butt in .44-40.

Boolit Master

Are you asking about the Italian made guns or the Japanese guns ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The Miroku Japanese ones. Iv'e shot some of the Italian ones and they were ok but I'm hoping the Miroku's are superior in the accuracy department as they are in the fit & finish department. I know the Japanese do a better job on tight tolerances and heat treating small parts.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the mode you are referring too. Deluxe Sporting I believe they call it. Outstanding rifle! I've not shot it much as I was waiting on MVA to send me a tang sight and in the mean time I was going to get set up to reload for .44-40... Well I finally got the sight a week ago and still dont have dies. All my Miroku make levers have shown exceptional accuracy and I expect this one is no different. I really do not care for buckhorn sights so I've not tried any formal accuracy tests with this particular one though. I have a few pictures but I'm having trouble getting them onto the forum currently.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I have one of the Winchester 73's ,a short rifle in 44wcf. It shoots very well. The action is smooth, and the trigger pull is good. The only gripe I have is with the front sight that came on the rifle it's way to tall, but changing it to one about half as tall solved the not having enough elevation problem.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one of the 357's with a 24" barrel. Only taken it out once, but it appears to really shoot well

I have the carbine version in .44-40, now just a little over a year old. Shoots and functions well -- no complaints.

Boolit Grand Master

Gee my Uberti 73 will shoot under 4 inches at 100 yards with iron sights, I don't know what more you could ask for? My Winchester 66 will do about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Gee my Uberti 73 will shoot under 4 inches at 100 yards with iron sights, I don't know what more you could ask for? My Winchester 66 will do about the same.
    I wish I could get a Japchester 73 myself but I am perfectly happy with my Uberichectser 73'....also under 4" at 100 yards!!!

Got get the rifle you want and if you don't like it, I will buy it from you for half price!!!

Since my Uberti's will do this-

(200 yds.)

...and they look more like an original '66/'73 Winchester than the new Winchesters, I never saw any need to look any further.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the Miroku built Winchester 1873's in .44-40 and yes it can shoot.
    They are superb quality rifles. Mine has been flawless.

Mine is the version with 24" octagonal barrel and pistol grip.
    It is very accurate with the Accurate Molds 43-220C or 43-219M.

The bore on these Japanese made rifles in .44-40 is the same size barrel they use for .44 Mag.
    Mine barrel is .4295 so i size at .430 for best results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0736 (Small).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	253056