WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Auto Rim / 45 acp / 45 Super

Boolit Buddy
    When my 45 Auto Rim / 45 acp / 45 Super was built, and since all three cases are the same length, they all headspace off the case mouth.

At 3 cases have the same base diameter, so there is no issues with chambering.

As to the 45 Auto Rim brass, a rim counterbore was cut in the breech end of the barrel so as to allow the rim to sit .002 below flush, allowing a total headspace of .002 for all 3 cartridges.

And since this gun was built from a barrel stubbed H&R rifle in 270 Winchester, and came with an ejector, it was switched out for an extractor, and all 3 cases feed and extract flawlessly!

So, by using 3 different cases, I can load three completely different loads, at 3 velocity levels and using 3 different bullets and weights. Of course you can go much lighter or heavier and jacketed or cast.

I do NOT use any of the fast burning pistol powders in my gun, and have found one bullet and load that I can get mighty close to 2,000 fps. without running into excessive pressure levels.

I do however prefer heavy and slow because of how quiet the loads are, and even though their range is limited, (rainbow trajectory) they will put out the lights on a deer or hog real fast like, quick and in a hurry.

Doesn't the ejector for rimless cartridges spring down a bit to pop in the extraction groove- in a Handi rifle? It seems like it did on a H&R ultra varmint .223 I hunted with once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it does!

I could not get my "ejector" to work properly, and in fact it never worked right when it was still a 270!

After converting it to an extractor, it then worked perfectly and I have not had a single issue with it since.

Boolit Buddy
    Chicken thieves beware!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12