Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Auto Rim / 45 acp / 45 Super

Boolit Buddy

45 Auto Rim / 45 acp / 45 Super

Here is a fun little gun I have been enjoying. It is a barrel stubbed H&R in 45 Auto Rim / 45 acp / 45 Super.

Attachment 252959

Attachment 252962

Attachment 252963

No recoil, very low noise level when compared to a high powered rifle and a 120 pound doe for meat in the freezer. What more could you ask for!

I like it! Especially the versatility of being able to use the different cartridges. Sure can't complain about accuracy like that.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have a similar one, except I opted for a longer barrel and the rifle is adapted for either .455 MkII or .45 ACP

Built by John Taylor. Groups are with iron sights firing ordinary service grade ball ammo.

Note that groups are all TEN shots!

Attachment 252966Attachment 252967Attachment 252968Attachment 252969
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost75 - very nice shooting, and the gun looks great!

I have 3 loads in the 3 different cartridges.

45 AR - Speer 250 gr. Deep Curl

45 acp - Hornady 250 gr. XTP

45 Super - Hornady 230 gr. XTP

The barrel length on this gun is 16 3/4" and 1.00" in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    Outpost75 - very nice shooting, and the gun looks great!

I have 3 loads in the 3 different cartridges.

45 AR - Speer 250 gr. Deep Curl

45 acp - Hornady 250 gr. XTP

45 Super - Hornady 230 gr. XTP

The barrel length on this gun is 16 3/4" and 1.00" in diameter.
    Mine is 20" long and 1" diameter, gun weighs exactly 5 pounds.

I use the Speer 250-grain Deep Curl with a case full of #2400 for the few times when I want a heavy load, but you wouldn't want to get that one by accident into an M1911! Works fine in Ruger Blackhawk Convertible. John bushed the firing pin in the antique H&R .44 shotgun frame, and that is indeed necessary if you go above .455 pressures.

Most of the time use the same ammo I do in my walking around revolvers. I load 4 grains of Bullseye with Acccurate 45-264D in both my New Service .455 or M1917 .45 ACP. These shoot to the sights in the old Colts and do well in the Bunny Gun using either brass. John's rimless extractor doesn't care. The M14 front sight installation is a nice touch. John also made .38 Special, .45 Colt and .44-40 barrels which fit this beast. And since these are not stubs I have the original .44-40 shot and a .410 3" chambered barrel which fit. As you might expect, it's the most used gun around the place.

Attachment 252979Attachment 252981Attachment 252983
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-14-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    This gun weighs 8 pounds 3 ounces as it sits!

Attachment 252998

Attachment 252999

Boolit Master

What fun and productive also
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost75,

do you get any type of expansion with the 250 gr. Speer Deep Curl, and what kind of velocity are you pushing at?

Outpost75,

do you get any type of expansion with the 250 gr. Speer Deep Curl, and what kind of velocity are you pushing at?
    Expands in water jugs at 700 fps, 4 grains of Bullseye in .455 MkII or .45 Auto Rim, 5-1/2" barrel.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are getting expansion at 700 fps., then I should definitely get good expansion at 1,200 fps. from a 16 3/4" rifle barrel.

If you are getting expansion at 700 fps., then I should definitely get good expansion at 1,200 fps. from a 16 3/4" rifle barrel.
    Expect at that velocity bullet may come apart and penetration would be poor, but maybe not. Need to test some.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 150 pound lock of FBI ballistics jel I'll use when it warms up a little bit, and I'll post pictures of those Deep Curl bullets after expansion testing. What distance would you like to see the tests done at,

I have a 150 pound lock of FBI ballistics jel I'll use when it warms up a little bit, and I'll post pictures of those Deep Curl bullets after expansion testing. What distance would you like to see the tests done at,
    For personal defense handgun use I shoot through the chronograph into an array of water jugs set at 50 feet. With the micro-pocket pistols I reduce the distance to 25 feet to aid accurate shot placement. For rifle woods hunting use 50 yards is a practical distance for an iron-sighted hunting rifle. To simulate longer range impacts I just reduce the load to approximate the remaining velocity expected at a longer distance.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

OK. . .I'm intrigued, but have questions. . .

What exactly is going on with the extractor that allows use of both the rimless .45ACP and the rimmed Auto Rim or Webley case? Are we dealing with case mouth headspacing, or something else?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    OK. . .I'm intrigued, but have questions. . .

What exactly is going on with the extractor that allows use of both the rimless .45ACP and the rimmed Auto Rim or Webley case? Are we dealing with case mouth headspacing, or something else?
    GREAT Question!

To deal with either .455 or .45 ACP chamber is first roughed with a .38-40 reamer to cut the rim seat.
    The gun will not use .45 Auto Rim because the rim is too thick. It does use Starline .455 MkII, .45 ACP or Starline 5 in 1 blank cases (for shot loads). The .456" shoulder diameter of the .38-40 chamber with 6-1/2 degree shoulder forms the "throat" for the chamber.

John then finish reams the chamber with a .45 ACP reamer which cuts a straight body to .898" from breech face with the square stop surface to headspace .45 ACP rounds. His rimless extractor has a cam surface on it so that when the gun is opened the extractor hook drops out to clear the body circumference of the case, so that .455s or shot loads assembled in Starline 5 in 1 blank cases can go straight in and then will headspace on the rim seat of the barrel. When the action is closed the extractor hook is cammed up to engage the rimless case head of .45 ACPs, so that .45 ACP fired brass is ejected cleanly when the gun is opened in the same manner as the .455s.

Attachment 253398Attachment 253399Attachment 253400
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-22-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

John not only is a very good gunsmith but he is very creative/inventive.....wish sometimes I had not moved so far away from him......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Hmmmm. . .I'm guessing then that this extractor cam mechanism allows a little bit of floating movement to the extractor - - my guess being that if it was a hard dive into the rim cut of a .45 ACP case, it would then crush the case body (or lock up and not close) on a .455?

Next question - is any old H&R Topper / NEF Pardner good for this surgery, or are special flavors required?

Given that I have a Webley MKVI and. . .several 1911's, this concept tickles me somewhat.
    WWJMBD?

Hmmmm. . .I'm guessing then that this extractor cam mechanism allows a little bit of floating movement to the extractor - - my guess being that if it was a hard dive into the rim cut of a .45 ACP case, it would then crush the case body (or lock up and not close) on a .455?

Next question - is any old H&R Topper / NEF Pardner good for this surgery, or are special flavors required?

Given that I have a Webley MKVI and. . .several 1911's, this concept tickles me somewhat.
    Mine was a pre-WW1 .44 smoothbore "garden gun". Modern ones should be fine too. Only issue on the .455 is the rim diameter, as some British and Canadian cases have rims larger than the .525" diameter of the .38-40 Winchester. The thinner rim of the Starline .455 MkII cases vs. .38-40 does not seem to be an issue, as the camming action of John's rimless extractor positively headspaces the rounds without any "slop" and ignition has been sure-fire and no punctured primers either.

Attachment 253407

I had John do mine for the exact same reasons that you are thinking about.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-22-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I'd really like to meet the fellow who'd build such a rifle to shoot up a supply of Brit or Canadian surplus .455 MKII. I'd happily buy the beer for THAT conversation.

You may recall I was a heavy pot-stirrer for getting support for a Starline run of .455 cases. I bit the weenie and stocked up last time, so dimensional issues should not arise.

Dangit! Another expensive forum thread!
    WWJMBD?

I'd really like to meet the fellow who'd build such a rifle to shoot up a supply of Brit or Canadian surplus .455 MKII. I'd happily buy the beer for THAT conversation.

You may recall I was a heavy pot-stirrer for getting support for a Starline run of .455 cases. I bit the weenie and stocked up last time, so dimensional issues should not arise.

Dangit! Another expensive forum thread!
    As FYI some groups with 1942 Kynoch .455 Ammo and handload with MiHEC cast hollow-base Mk1 with 5 grains of Unique

Attachment 253413Attachment 253417Attachment 253415Attachment 253414 Attachment 253416
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast