Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: VIDEOS of LEE's new Press . . .

VIDEOS of LEE's new Press . . .

In the following link Lee has posted videos of their new and upcoming Press in action...

https://leeprecision.com/app-automat...cessing-press/

In the paragraph following the videos we find good news and some bad...

The million-cycle fatigue test is complete, and I am delighted to report it was a complete success. ... (ending with)> I have a little bad news to report, and that is, we are likely going to miss the end of year ship date that I originally predicted. Two components on the automation package required tool modifications and a material change that has pushed us into the holiday season and progress grinds to a halt during these festive days.

We can live with this, we want Lee's best efforts in this new press to be a success, right?

I was especially interested in seeing this press size cast boolits...there's is much speculation about the mechanics of this press and all the plastic's involved.

After watching several times, I noticed something, I was impressed with the leverage they seemed to have while they were sizing the casts...it looks effortlessly done...until...I noticed a little something unusual...'how far the casts were dropping into the sizer die'.

Then I took a screenshot to examine things a little closer...

Look at the casts in the tube. Notice anything unusual about the drive bands...THESE STINKING CASTS HAVE ALREADY BEEN SIZED...it's no wonder they were dropping so far into the size die below.
    Lee...as far as I am concerned, get's the "DIRTY BIRD'' AWARD for DisHonest Advertising!

It appears that this press has great leverage...we are NOT seeing it actually do the sizing job nor the amount of effort it takes. It is pushing sized casts through a sizing die & that's it.
    After everyone has waited so long for news on this press...this is a failed attempt on Lee's part to inform their customers.
    Could be an accident that they didn't think about this but us customers that have already had to modify and tinker with Lee's products over the years have gotton a lot more savvy!

I'm sure there will be a plethora of videos that will feature this press posted by the proud new owners in January...if they hit that new deadline.
    One thing certain is that these videos will show in detail what this new press will do in the hands of experienced pressmen sizing a range of profiles and hardnesses.
    The proof is always in the 'puddin' so to speak.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

It appears that this press has great leverage...we are NOT seeing it actually do the sizing job nor the amount of effort it takes. It is pushing sized casts through a sizing die & that's it.
    Well, for me I can't tell from a video if the bullets are "presized". Criticism of Lee way before anyone has one in hand. Typical...

My opinion; Lee has once more developed a new, innovative original reloading tool. I watched the videos and was/am impressed. Has any other reloading tool/equipment come out with a new, original design for any reloading process?
    Last edited by mdi; 12-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I watched the videos, but couldn't figure out where a unit like this could be versatile enough to actually need one. There doesn't seem to be any way to put gas checks on bullets or to automatically apply lubricant to them. And the push through sizer die could only work with the few straight wall cases for semi-auto pistols. What about rimmed cases or tapered cases? Maybe it would work for strictly a 45 ACP shooter with non-gas-checked bullets? Only?

Boolit Bub
    I use the standard lee sizing kit and my 230 grain round nose goes completely into the die before it meets the sizing portion of the die. It looks like they were using the tumble lube 230 gr It also looks like a powerful co ax linkage. I don’t think they are pulling a fast one. One of the other videos shows full sizing 40’s and a few look like they take some extra effort

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the share!

I think this needs a proper bullet collator that drops nose down and case collator that drops base up. They should also release a kit for that electric motor attachment shown on their page.

This has a lot of potential, if they can add what I suggest and keep it around $150 I'd personally get one.

I too can't really tell if the bullets are already pre sized. They could very well develop another sizing die that has the final sizing measurements deeper down the hole which could give off that impression if the bullet dropping easily down. Especially since this looks nothing like their traditional push through sizer dies.

Boolit Master
    Just looked at the video. Looks like a cool press and cheep enuf. It’s sure is quicker than my single stage press. Only problem I have is I don’t have a dedicated reloading room and space. I just got to much stuff now. It’s in the closet and when I load I take what I need in the living room to my school desk to load. It’s not ideal how I load but works for me. I am just getting to much stuff for reloading. I now reload for 18 different cartridges. Not counting all the molds. So much fun not enuf space

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    After watching several times, I noticed something, I was impressed with the leverage they seemed to have while they were sizing the casts...it looks effortlessly done...until...I noticed a little something unusual...'how far the casts were dropping into the sizer die'.

Then I took a screenshot to examine things a little closer...

Look at the casts in the tube. Notice anything unusual about the drive bands...THESE STINKING CASTS HAVE ALREADY BEEN SIZED...it's no wonder they were dropping so far into the size die below.
    Lee...as far as I am concerned, get's the "DIRTY BIRD'' AWARD for DisHonest Advertising!
    Just watched also and I don't believe your statement to be true. Reason, if you read the direction on the original Sizing Kit and the Directions for this one it plainly states that bullets must be lubed before use. Either with Alox or your favorite coating. They all look tumble lubed to me.

Boolit Buddy
    What's even more interesting to me is you can see the lower move when they do the bulge busting on the range brass. There's definitely some forces there.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I'm pretty sure that the video that has the straight wall pistol cases being pushed through is featuring The bulge buster feature mentioned on lee's website.
    I think it's going to be a very handy machine. I only powder coat, so push through sizers are perfect for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting the link. It's nice to see the unit in action.

I'll be sizing HiTek coated casts that will have their proprietary sizing lube on them. It's almost true that I can size down a couple thousands with just a couple fingers' worth of pressure, but my current set up requires an upstroke. I'm looking forward to sizing on the downstroke: should be a lot easier even if the APP's linkage doesn't provide more mechanical advantage, though it looks like it does.

IIRC, a while back a member here posted a video of his homemade bullet tray with a chute feeding down to his sizer. He could work the sizer with one hand while using the other to guide boolits into the chute nose down to the die, one by one. With a easily replenished handful of boolits in the tray, it went smoothly and fairly fast. The automated feeder is faster, but every minute or so you have to pause to replace or refill the tube, so I'm not sure the overall production rate of the automation package would be faster. It matters to me because I want to size thousands in a day, not dozens or hundreds.

We shall see (hopefully in January).

Boolit Master
    Kev... just fit a Mr. Bullet feeder with nose down conversion.
    Mine works 100% with everything from SWC to RNFP. Flat base to bevel base.
    It easily keeps up with my motorized sizer. But I do use a 19 volt Laptop power supply to give it more speed. My sizer does 1 per second so 3600 per hour. When I get this Lee sizer press, I have another Mr. Bullet feeder already setup to mount on it too.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    When I look at I don't see why the the 4 tube feeder and case collator could not be fit to it.
    It will also be interesting to see if the case feeder and collator might be made to work with certain bullet shapes mixed nose up and down in the tubes .
    Looking forward to some of our crafty guys getting hands on.

Boolit Buddy
    What happens when those feeder tubes become coated with bullet lube?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    I am thinking powder coated.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    If you're going to be using tumble lubed boolits with the Lee APP, then try this... 1/4 tsp of finely ground mica per 10lbs of boolits. Agitate just like you were putting on a coat of TL. Your boolits will no longer be the least bit tacky, nor will they leave a residue behind on everything they touch.

Adjust the amount of mica to fit your own boolits... still tacky? Use a bit more. No longer tacky, but now too much mica dust? Use less. You'll get it dialed in to where your boolits come out perfect after a few tries.
    Last edited by Phlier; 12-15-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    If you're going to be using tumble lubed boolits with the Lee APP, then try this... 1/4 tsp of finely ground mica per 10lbs of boolits. Agitate just like you were putting on a coat of TL. Your boolits will be no longer be the least bit tacky, nor will they leave a residue behind on everything they touch.
    Good tip !

Boolit Buddy

Believe Lee has a winner here!!!! If you can multi-task should be able to load boolits with your left hand in tube as right hand operates sizing lever.

Boolit Man
    I am intrigued by the APP, but I'm not sure I need another quick-change plate from Inline Fabrication just yet.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    If you're going to be using tumble lubed boolits with the Lee APP, then try this... 1/4 tsp of finely ground mica per 10lbs of boolits. Agitate just like you were putting on a coat of TL. Your boolits will no longer be the least bit tacky, nor will they leave a residue behind on everything they touch.

Adjust the amount of mica to fit your own boolits... still tacky? Use a bit more. No longer tacky, but now too much mica dust? Use less. You'll get it dialed in to where your boolits come out perfect after a few tries.
    I used to use the Hornady 'One Shot' liberally on my PC'd casts before sizing but that lube is expensive...
    A friend talked me into making my own lube from 'Heet + Lanolin' @ a 12:1 ratio & apply from a spray bottle.
    It dries non tacky, non greasy and doesn't gum up dies..."Why didn't I use this lube long ago?"

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell