RotoMetals2WidenersPBcastcoTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee powder dippers...really dumb question

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    LOL, nice to see I'm not the only one that says "Why didn't I think of that"?
    Yup! Me, too, I also intend to try that!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master
    I've been using them for years. I have an old red Thermos style top that I pour the powder into.
    For my hunting loads I'll dip and trickle on the scale, for pistol loads that will be shot at paper or steel I'll just dip and fill the case, except with Bullseye, but only because my RCBS powder measure is set for the load that shoots best in my 9 mm pistols. But following directions in the box won't result in a damaged rifle or handgun, at least not for me. The printed charges seem a bit light to me.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I only use dippers with stick powder for trickling up into a scale.
    I do use them all the time for finer powders.
    I have a small bottle with a wire across it for scraping as well.

I do use some cases that I use without handle and use a larger dipper to fill and scrape off.
    I can then upturn a case over the dipper and put upright again allowing the measure to rest in the case mouth while I sort out a bullet to place in it.

I tend to melt lead in my cases and drill out to the weight needed.
    A small bit of solder or lead and a flame will soon top it up if I get over jealous.

I keep trying to think up a easy portable powder measuring device thou.

Boolit Buddy
    One thing about using a dipper is the volume never changes, even if the weight of different lots of powder does. Say you use a 1cc dipper for a 13.5 gr charge of 2400. This is a good charge for .357Mag and 158gr bullets. If your next can of powder has less moisture content, you still will have the same size powder column in the case, even though the weight of the charge may have changed. Same thing if your next can has more moisture content, the powder column is still the same, regardless of the weight of the charge.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Sounds like what I do when I use them for rifle loads . I seldom do but use them quite often for revolver loads .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    I use home made dippers to fill in where the LEE dippers fall short for the load I want.
    I just weigh up the load I want and select an empty case that will hold the load.
    I dump the pre-weighed charge into the case with a funnel.
    Then I just measure from the lip down to the powder .
    I then transfer this measurement to the outside of the case.
    Dump the powder and cut the case at the measured mark.
    Smooth off the case edge and attach a suitable handle.
    Check your dipper again by dipping loads and weighing them on the scale.
    If a little heavy, you can lightly file to adjust.
    If you are careful at measuring and cutting you can make a custom dipper for any load and any powder.
    Practicing dipping and using a light side wise shake will work just as well as striking off with a business card.
    Of course I would never make a dipper up for a maximum load and trust it.
    I have never trusted a powder measure either.
    For a max load you must make a dipper that always throws just lite enough into your scale pan, then trickle up using a teaspoon or a powder trickler.

I dip and trickle when using my Lee hand press indoors when it's too hot in the garage to run my loading bench gear.

Interesting thread about some often forgotten hand tools especially the dippers, yet the thread seems to open and shut for no good reason. We all know that the little suckers are worthwhile even if as a back up or for when you are away from your bench. There are some really good comments in here and if more people would "fess up" I think we would see the thread continue on a fairly regular basis. Right now with so many new folks trying reloading you have a difficult time finding conventional powder measures at "normal" prices unless you get pretty lucky. I hope the dippers, hand presses, and the like make a resurgence because they work.
    regards,

Most of the time I can find a good accurate load using the dippers. I have both the Red and Yellow set. It seems one set fills in the gap for the other with different powders

Given my first reloading was a LEE Classic that came in a cardboard box, I grew to become very familiar with that little dipper thing that came with it. I later moved up to a full set of dippers and still have most of them. Having no scale in the beginning, I put my trust in the data that came with the kit and began my new hobby. I later tried a few handgun kits and decided buying a full set of dippers may be to my advantage. Needless to say, I've came a long ways in the past 40+ years. I have 3 different powder measures, a couple of tricklers, and my Lee Dippers will always be right there handy.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Good for you Murphy. I think you pointed out the key element of what I was trying to say and "keeping the dippers handy" as a back up or supplement to our typical enthusiasm for acquiring multiple powder measures, dippers, scales etc. The dippers are always there if you need them. It also promotes some of the reloading basic elements which we need to pass along to new reloading participants.
    regards,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12