Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case Annealing

Boolit Mold
    Just spin it by hand until the case head gets warm to the touch then quench in water. Probably harder to do on shorter cases.

Banned
    I thought if the case started to get red it was too hot. I just go until the color changes on the brass.

A foolproof way is the old NRA method. pie pan with 3/4-1" of water set on a turntable (or ?) at 33 rpm. You can't overheat the base that way

Boolit Grand Master
    When doing it by hand, I am in the shop with a small light on and when I see the case mouth just start to turn the smallest color of dull red, its done

I made a case annealer with plans from youtube. It was easy and inexpensive to make.
    you control the heat of the case with the time it is in the flame by a Potentiometer mounted on top. The RPM is displayed so you can make a note for which case size it takes to anneal for how long.
    The special "cake pan" is made specifically to absorb heat and it works very well.
    There is even a simple automatic case feeder if needed.
    This machine will do several hundred cases an hour. The finished result looks like Lake City brass.
    The file uploader today is not working. I can email you photos of it in operation.

Boolit Master
    I do it the easy way. Cut the female end off an old 3/8" socket extension chuck it up 1/2" for .473 '06 case head sized cases and run the drill at about 200 rpm. When red dump in a bucket of water. When done all cases go in an aluminum collander on top of my heat pump for about 1/2 hour. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12