Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this Winchester a good deal??

Boolit Master
    I agree with SWheeler. And for the record, every 670 or birch stocked 30/06 or 270 I have ever shot was a shooter. I gave $250 for one in 1984.

Assuming a good bore $250 is not an outrageous asking price. That said, you should be able to do a little better and at $200-225 it would be a great buy. Great project gun. I am thinking some new furniture and a trip to JES for a 35 Whelen rebore.

Banned

id buy it for that. Stocks are easy to refinish or just camo and a barrel can easily be taken down to bare metal and matt black duracoated or even cheaper brownells alumi-hyde. Ive had a few of those push feed Winchesters and all were excellent shooters. 250 bucks and a bit of elbow grease and 50 bucks in alumi hyde and you have your self a gun that's far better then one of the entry level bolt guns today. If it was around here it would be home allready.

Boolit Master
    I have been looking for a model 70 push feed with the drop plate for a year or so as a project but have been unable to find one for 350 or so even in ruff shape . I would have already brought it home .

Banned
    surface rust on barrel. Not good! bring a light and look into the barrel for rust. If it looks good offer him $200

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    Without looking at it, my gut tells me $250 is too much if it is as you described. I would offer $150 and be prepared to walk away. But that is just me. The push feed model 70's aren't anything really special.
    I have an early push feed model 70 -- wouldnt swap if for a pre 64 mauser action even if you offered me extra cash - (a 22/250) ran it hard all its life and it never faltered - under the gunk finish there was a piece of walnut would cost you a tidy sum these days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    Without looking at it, my gut tells me $250 is too much if it is as you described. I would offer $150 and be prepared to walk away. But that is just me. The push feed model 70's aren't anything really special.
    I have an early push feed model 70 -- wouldnt swap if for a pre 64 mauser action even if you offered me extra cash - (a 22/250) ran it hard all its life and it never faltered - under the gunk finish there was a piece of walnut would cost you a tidy sum these days.

Boolit Master
    Well, I would have already if it wasn't 30-06 length.
    If it was .308/243 length, it would be home already.
    Around here, 30-06 is not needed for deer, this is 30-30 country woods, hence my no-need for '06.
    Even if I transformed it into a cast boolit launcher, I still dont need '06 length.

Banned

id about agree if it weren't for the fact I could get more for a pre 64 trading for a NEW control round fed featherweight which is probably the nicest Winchester standard production rifle ever. I personaly think the pre 64s were about as ugly as the first of the post 64s and the post 64 push feeds out shot the old ones hands down. I had two pre 64s a 308 and an o6 and don't miss them a bit. Like you ive owned post 64s and push feeds since I was a young man and have never had one fail to feed. Wasn't much of a fan of pressed checkering and poor fitting and those first brush on finishes but they did shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post

LLoyd's right. The push feed guns will out shoot the older guns easily plus you get a great trigger to boot. I had a push feed 270 that was a 3/4" gun with almost anything I fed it and the rifle would feed an empty case from the magazine as easily as a loaded round. One of the smoothest rifles I ever owned. If you shoot it and like it,the birch stock could be replaced by a Boyd's walnut for a bit over $100. As far as you living in 30-30 woods, you can always load it down. Offer $200 out the door. Pawn shops typically do not have much $ tied up in guns.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Until they went back to CRF, ALL post 64 m70s were long action regardless of caliber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Until they went back to CRF, ALL post 64 m70s were long action regardless of caliber.

That's interesting. I have always been curious why the 308 and 243's I've had were on LA. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Some of my favorite guns are well-worn older ones. It's interesting just how cheap you can find some diamonds in the rough occasionally. I bought an old Rem 721 a few years back, for something like $180 as I recall. The stock was destroyed; someone had completely butchered it and there was simply no salvage. I posted about it back then, and a generous member on here sold me a very usable stock he had laying around, for almost nothing. It fit perfectly and looks great, just an older gun with honest wear.

If I was looking for a basic, older hunting rifle like that, I'd buy it, even if the price wasn't negotiable if the bore is good. If it's a decent shooter, that seems like a pretty good price to me, probably a better value and definitely better quality than most of the newer budget bolt action rifles in that price range nowadays.

Another similar rifle I bought, I found at a pawn shop a while back. Actually on thinking back, it was the summer of '02, a very memorable time for me. It was a Rem 700 in .308. I think I paid $150. The bore was a sewer pipe and the stock had ugly Krylon on it. I bought it for the action, and now it's a very different rifle. It has a heavy, fluted, stainless .308 barrel, and a heavy, custom, myrtlewood stock on it. I was just shooting it yesterday.

Banned

I've had several of the push feed ones and they are good rifles, always thought the claw extractor thing was over rated.

That would be a much better deal than starting with an unaltered milsurp and nicer rifle than the current entry level ones, though it probably won't shoot any better. Hard to beat a basic bolt action in .30-06, I think I'd get it for $250 if I was in the market for a rifle like that.

Boolit Master
    Post 64 short actions are real, more than a few live here. The statement 06 length not needed, kind of sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of a purchase. Anyway in regard to the close range remark, just in case you have never seen a very well placed 180-220 flat nosed boolit between 1800-2200 FPS they will harvest very well. The longer case neck (like in the 30 WCF) is a good thing for squirting long lead, short action calibers usually have short necks. The Grand Ol'- 06 is hard to beat for a general caliber and just about every place that sells anything ammo has something in 06 on shelf. Used barrels are cheap and easy, 1/4" wrench will usually get you under a 3lb trigger. Price has crept up a little on parts but still reasonable and out there. Your either a flat bottom receiver guy or not, your call.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I've had several of the push feed ones and they are good rifles, always thought the claw extractor thing was over rated.

That would be a much better deal than starting with an unaltered milsurp and nicer rifle than the current entry level ones, though it probably won't shoot any better. Hard to beat a basic bolt action in .30-06, I think I'd get it for $250 if I was in the market for a rifle like that.
    Right you are brother. After all, the American military hunts the most dangerous game in the world with a "push feed " Remington 700 with an extractor that gun writers have cursed for years.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    most definitely worth it
    you can scrap the barrel and put on a new barrel
    a stock bottom metal and action are worth 250 alone
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The M1 Garand and the Lee Enfield are also push feed.

I found a 1975 Winchester catalog. I had forgotten about the 70A- I dont think I've ever seen one.

Boolit Master
    I'd jump on it if you want a project, to me sporting up a milsurp is a thing of days gone bye! Unless you can do all the work yourself, and you are still better off with the 70 for resale, but they are good shooter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast