Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where do all of the wildcat rifles go when owner die ?

Where do all of the wildcat rifles go when owner die ?

I have wondered about this a few times as I have about a half a dozen of my own and read about a lot of you that have them so there has to be thousands of them out there somewhere. I look on several of the big online gun auction and sales websites and rarely ever see any wildcat guns of any sort for sale ?
    I am not looking to buy any as I have way to many guns already but just wondered if there is a market for someone's creations.
    In my own case I don't have much money invested in building the guns or modifying dies or brass ect. I have never paid for a custom reamer, dies, or barrels so mine have been worth what I have in them mostly time.
    What are your thoughts ?

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Since you've said it I've never seen a wildcat gun for sale really. I mean what percent out of the general population do they really comprise however? If the person was smart they'd try to ensure that the dies, brass, ammo and gun and other required stuff go as a package before they go.

I just did a Gunbroker search for completed items and they had four listings. None current, that I could see.

Boolit Master
    Of course a lot of what used to be wildcats are now factory offerings, 35 Whelen, 22-250, 243 etc etc so that is one reason the "old" wildcats don't seem to be show up.

There are several cats on GB right now if you look hard enough. I usually search for Mauser Sporters and have my eye on a .25-243 one now. A quick search shows there are three .416 Taylor's listed (none cheap), so I'm sure the wildcats are out there hiding in plain sight.

I wonder how many are out there that are not marked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned

Although not a wildcat.......I did find a sako vixen re-barreled to 225 Winchester at a LGS a few months back with a slight bulge in the barrel!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I
    I have way to many guns already
    Jedman
    I'm sorry, you lost me.

I would suspect alot are gracing the back corner of a closet, the few I've seen at gun shows are usually ridiculously over priced. People give up trying to sell them.

If it's not a complete package, gun, dies and load data it's just a pile of parts for a project of the buyer's.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of shops don't want to deal with the wildcats and having to explain it to anyone whos looking at the rifle. I can remember when the 6PPC was a wildcat most shops wouldn't touch one when a couple manufacturers grace it Sammi specs and made it legitimate then shops started stocking selling them. Most arnt interested in a rifle that no factory ammo exsits for and no actual tested load data.

The biggest share of these rifles go to family members or friends along with any ammo or data. Load notes on a wildcat is a big plus. The ones sold go cheap and are bought to rebarrel to a standard caliber usually. I have a couple wildcats, home made die sets and data / load notes that will go to a friend that will appreciate them.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    The only gun I own that even remotely qualifies as a wildcat is an old Enfield that I rebarreled and re-chambered. I simply necked it down to a true 308/7.62 caliber/bore. Everything else stayed the same.

My concern was that none of my relatives are really that knowledgeable about guns in general and clueless when it comes to wildcat cartridges. I've made it a point to keep that particular rifle set aside with redundant notes and cautions that 303 cartridges are not to be fires from this rifle. Like many families, some of my relatives aren't really the brightest bulbs in the shed so, of the few close relatives I go shooting, hunting and fishing with I also made it a point to make this rifle known to them.

I'm sure that a 303 cast bullet shooting low doses of powder might not cause to much damage but full power loads out of this rifle in the native 303 cartridges would surely spike the pressures and possibly mean a trip to the emergency ward.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

I seem to end up with the orphan children , and then buy the dies and make the brass , most of mine are marked , some are not .
    I cast and I reload so they are not a problem , down the road I hope my children were attentive enough to know what they are and what goes with what gun , I expect most of the wildcats and oddballs are owned by more knowledgeable shooters .

"I have way to many guns already "
    Jedman

for starters I do not believe to many guns is even possible.
    As for wild cats I have a few .338-06, 25-06AI.280Rem. AI and 22-250AI, I love to play and build them, but I do not want to get a wild cat that the cases require a lot to form the case, and I find the Die's and reamer from the start. Midway does sell most AI die sets and the 22-250 AI for it I found the die set here on swap and sell. I have die's , barrel and reamer for a 8mm-06 I found it on this sight now just not in a hurry to build it. A 7mm STW has priority on my gun work time and money.

[QUOTE= I have way to many guns already n[/QUOTE]

This is blasphemy !!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    This is blasphemy !!
    May not be blasphemy, but also isn't possible. Unless you're swimming.

Only wildcat I have at the moment is my 35 Whelan, which isn't any more wildcat than my 300 blk, but I make brass for both from other brass. I am about to embark on building a few, one just because I was sent the wrong die set in a group purchase and now have dies for a cartridge with zero load data available.

I do build dummy cartridges to persue ideas all the time though... Sure my kids will be doing a little headscratching after I pass...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

When I say I have way to many guns already... Right now I have probably 20 + that I bought because either the price was really good, some needed a easily made firing pin or other small part, needed the wood refinished because someone painted or slopped some awful looking finish on them and I really bought them for trading or reselling as they were just to cheap not to buy.
    I don't shoot them much and when I sell a bunch of them I have money to buy a nice antique single shot which is my favorite type of rifle.
    Most of the wildcats mentioned that have names most of us have heard of do nothing for me.
    I have now taken a deer or antelope with all of my wildcats and they are all single shots where you can load any type bullet shape or weight and working up load data was somewhat fun and easy as I just start with a case in the same caliber or very close that holds a similar amount of powder and start low and work up looking for the most accuracy. None of my wildcats are remotely like a magnum or a cartridge that does anything better than a standard factory round. They are all made on a easy to find rimmed case and many are just right for a Marlin 336 sized action I just have not used that platform yet. I do have die sets and load data notes for all of them so my wife could sell them as a package if I die suddenly.
    I would be in the market for sensible wildcats in rifles such as Remington Hepburns, Rolling Blocks,Winchester low or hi walls, Martini's, or most any quality single shot action.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I think some folks just get stuck with them. I got a .357 contender barrel at a gun show. When I got home I found out it had been reamed out to 357/44 B&D. Dies cost more than the barrel did. Makes a nice paperweight..

Got a Danish Krag that had been rebarreled in 45-70, got it home and found the bolt face doesn't fit a normal 45-70, I had to turn a bunch off of the rims to get something to work. Not exactly a wildcat but a "custom" that takes special measures to shoot. Really nice rifle so it's worth the added effort. My kids will probably end up with it and stick someone else with it.

Boolit Master
    Never thought about it. I have several wildcats, most are Ackleys but I do have a 50 Razorback which is a Remington Ultra mag cut off at the shoulder and blown out to shoot a .510 bullet.....hopefully my boys like shooting.

My dad has a couple wildcats but they aren't really wild, I assume I'll end up with those since my brother isn't into firearms.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

"I have way too many guns already"

Must be a typo!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    "I have way too many guns already"

Must be a typo!
    It is a typo ! I forgot I have CRS and can't remember how many I have ? I know to find some of them it takes me a week or more of searching .

Jedman

Heh, maybe I should put out some family feelers on who would want to reform cases, cast the boolits, brew the lube, load the cartridges...
    Yeah right!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast