Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionADvertise hereWideners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: south bend 9B for gunsmithing

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    Wow thanks for all the replies. I have been deer hunting so have not been logged in for a while, I am just kind of thinking and looking now. This is a plan to occupy my time in retirement, along with maybe a bit of income supplement, about 8 years away. I have begun work on sporting a 1895 Lowe to learn some skills. I just got the receiver off the barrel and beginning to clean it up and remove the stripper clip boss, anyone know where a guy can get a receiver holding fixture for a 1895 all I seem to find is for the 98s.
    it's in your lathe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Green Frog. a second lathe is handy even a smaller one. It can save a lot of time when you have a job going and set up in the other and need a pin or bushing made to fit. When we sleeved bearing races we bored the journal out and measured it. ( usually .050-.100 on a side). Then went to a second lathe turned the bushing up for size to size or .0005 press. and the bore with in .050. This was cut to length and pushed in with light coat of red locktite with the face of the tail stock spindle on the original machine and bored to sized. The second machine saved a touchy set up and recentering. The second lathe can save a lot f time and energy
    Absolutely... more is always better if you want efficiency of production. Of course you reach a point of diminishing returns if you aren’t doing a lot of machine work. My 11” Sheldon lathe is big enough for about anything I’m likely to do, but if I had a little lathe for cutting screws and pins and winding small springs it would probably be nice. But I’m not doing much of anything in the shop these days, so it’s hard to justify adding another unused machine!

OTOH, the grand uncle from whom I inherited the Sheldon was retired from a large foundry and used it as his little lathe. His big one was a beast! But even after many years of work and retirement, he still “puttered around” in the shop with his stuff, it was long since paid for, and he enjoyed it right up until he was too old and infirm to do much of anything. I envy him on that, but machining is not enough in my routine to justify more equipment. The ultimate value of machine tools depends on the person using them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I did lots of barrel work on my 9 SB

New guys can't figure out how as they are not really machinists. Just parts replacers like 99% of AR gunsmiths.

Boolit Master
    If you are looking to buy ,certain lathes have a magic name as far as hobby buyers are concerned.......You can generally get a less well know name for a lot less money.....And before you shell out your hard earned ,best to find out some in s and outs of used machines,mainly so you dont get caught by a shark with a can of green paint.

Boolit Grand Master

Lathes are a little region oriented as to make also even in industry. Lodge and Shipley, Monarch, White, Sheldons were popular around here. Up around Detroit clausings, Americans, hendis were popular. Schools liked the smaller atlas , clausing, sheldons, and Rockwell. This may have some bearing on whats available in your area. Hardringes are a great small lathe with a nice sized spindle hole and very accurate. A popular tool room lathe, but the tooling is more specialized for them. Another factor is the industry in the area. An area with a lot of shipping and boat yards the lathes tend to be bigger and mush longer beds. Same with the mills. Autos industry lathes are more sized to what a hobbyist wants but the mills can be pretty big.

Boolit Master
    South bend 9 is a good lathe, I've seen guys do a lot, with a lot less!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12