Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Intermediate Resize Needed?

Boolit Master

Intermediate Resize Needed?

I'm resizing 30-06 and 270 for a 7x57 Mauser I just brought home and am wondering if resizing the brass to an intermediate size like 8x57 would be less strain on the equipment when compared to going whole hog and resizing in one pass.
    I'm trimming first, deburring then running the brass through a FL resizing die which really makes my Hertzer Super Model 3 work for a living. Been able to resize 30 cases so far but it's a bit of a workout and I'm loosing a few pieces of brass. I have some 7.7x58 Jap dies on the shelf and could use them as an intermediate step. Think I should?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I had pretty good luck with imperial wax and several short strokes while turning the case without the expander in the full length die . But I quickly decided to order some 7x57 brass .

Banned
    I helps to anneal the brass before you size it

Boolit Bub
    When I do the same repurposing with my 30-06 brass I use my 308 die set with the shoulder just above the 7x57 shoulder first then with the 7x57 takes a lot of the effort out of it and a lot less culls.

Boolit Master
    Didn't think about not using the expander during the intermediate step, going to give it a try along with annealing after the trim. Not worried about breaking the press, just don't want to rip it off the reloading bench which is made out of 2x6's. I'm too thrifty to buy 7mm brass when the local range lets me pick up 06 and 270. Being retired my time is mine to spend where I want and I get a kick out of resizing range brass.

Boolit Master
    I can't speak to 7x57, but I do form 8x57 from 30-06 and 270. I recently bought an RCBS form and trim die and it is a marvel. I lube with a light spray of Hornady one shot, let it dry and it the cases slide right into the die. I lop off the protruding brass with a fine toothed hacksaw, then file to finished length. After that a quick trip through the 8x57 sizer expands the neck and I am done. The form and trim die forms a better shoulder than the 8x57 FL sizer ever did. I would guess that even if you can't find a 7x57 form and trim die, the 8x57 version would simplify things.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Grand Master

"am wondering if resizing the brass to an intermediate size like 8x57 would be less strain on the equipment when compared to going whole hog and resizing in one pass."

Yes it does. I use a RCBS 8x57 form die to initially size '06, 270, etc. and trim. Then I use the cartridge Fl dies to finish forming. I also will anneal some cases, especially once fired milsurp '06s after initial forming in the 8x57 form die before final finishing. besides being easier on equipment I also get a lot less wrinkled neck/shoulders or buckled/dented shoulders.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies, I'll run the brass through one of my 7.7x58 Jap dies as an intermediate step and see how it works.

Boolit Master
    An 8x57, 7.65 Mauser or a .308 die will help if you set the die up so it does not push the shoulders back too far. You might consider getting a compound linkage press for case forming. I have formed many 7x57 cases from .270 brass with one stroke with a RCBS Rockchucker. However you will find .270 cases easier too. I use .30-06 for 7.65 Mauser and 8x57.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Spent a rainy afternoon running some 06 brass through one of my 7.7x58 Jap dies as an intermediate step on the way to 7mm Mauser. Getting to 7mm Mauser was easier and the extra step gave better looking brass without getting a few small wrinkles on the neck. Buying brass would be the easy way to go but I've got plenty of range pickup and get a kick out of converting it to other calibers.
    Took the bolt apart and found a well worn firing pin spring so that's next on the list. Have a Wolf 22lb spring on order even though the original is working fine, might as well swap it out before it breaks or gives some FTF.

I can't speak to 7x57, but I do form 8x57 from 30-06 and 270. I recently bought an RCBS form and trim die and it is a marvel....rtracy2001

Eddie, rtracy's suggestion works! I often reform .270Win. & .30-06 brass for my 7.65 x 53 Arg. Mau. via a form & trim die and it works like a charm. Maybe a light anneal prior to reforming, but a more intensive one on the finished case necks & shoulders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I can't speak to 7x57, but I do form 8x57 from 30-06 and 270. I recently bought an RCBS form and trim die and it is a marvel....rtracy2001

Eddie, rtracy's suggestion works! I often reform .270Win. & .30-06 brass for my 7.65 x 53 Arg. Mau. via a form & trim die and it works like a charm. Maybe a light anneal prior to reforming, but a more intensive one on the finished case necks & shoulders.
    I found out today that it also works on steel cases. I didn't realize steel boxer primed 30-06 was a thing, but I found one. It took a little more effort than usual, but I just thought it was machine gun ammo. It wasn't until I started trimming that I noticed that tarnished brass case was producing steel shavings. Oh well, now I have one steel 8x57. (I don't intend to make a habit of reforming steel cases, just need to run the magnet over the rifle brass in addition to the handgun brass. )
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Master
    Range picked some nickle plated 06 brass last year and resized them to 7.7 Jap, it is kinda cool to have nickle plated brass for my Arisaka. Tried messing with 7.62x54R steel cases but decided it was too much work to reload them.
    Been resizing 308 down to 243 Winchester in one step also without too much trouble.