Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 358429

Boolit Buddy

I want to load this Keith bullet for target loads. Actually, being more specific, I need loads with Titegroup. I will be using them in a GP100 and 6 1/2" Blackhawk. Also, I will be using 357 brass. The bullets are soft [2-2-96] so hopefully I can keep the pressure down. I am aware that I can use 38 special brass but, prefer not . The bullets can be loaded 1.635" OAL and will fit the revolvers.

Use the upper range of data for the 38 special in your 357 brass. That will give you a light target load.
    There is load data available for 170 grain bullets on the Hodgdon data site. Just use the starting loads or slightly less.
    You may want to use magnum primers to get better ignition. Titegroup doesn't fill the case at all.

Boolit Master
    Another thing to remember about this particular bullet, most of the reloading manuals like Lyman seat the bullet deep and crimp over the front band due to the short cylinders on revolvers such as the S&W 27/28. Seating into the crimp groove will produce lower pressure/velocity with the same charge weight.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Another thing to remember about this particular bullet, most of the reloading manuals like Lyman seat the bullet deep and crimp over the front band due to the short cylinders on revolvers such as the S&W 27/28. Seating into the crimp groove will produce lower pressure/velocity with the same charge weight.

Don
    Are the throats on the GP100 and BH long enough to seat in the groove? I know they’re not on my 3 screw BH.

Boolit Master

I've used this bullet for 60yrs in both .38Spl & .357Mag loads, light & heavy.
    Bullseye, or usually Unique.

I know that seated in the crimp groove in .357Mag cases that this bullet will chamber in:
    Ruger, Security-Six(all variations), NM Blackhawk, OM & NM Vaquero, NM Flat Top & Bisley.
    Colt:
    SAA, Python, MK III, Old Trooper
    S&W:
    M19, M66
    T/C:
    Contender chambered in .357Mag

Every Italian made SA I've tried.
    And I would Swear My Dad shot this Bullet in his Ruger OM Flat Top. But I haven't seen that Revolver in 46+yrs........So......

I've only tried TiteGroup in one .357Mag load so far.

5.5grs in .357Mag cases.

Shoots clean in the NM Blackhawk 6 1/2" and Security-Six 6".
    Accuracy ???? Well I can't shoot as well as I used to. But it seems pretty good.
    And I have over 20lbs of it, so it will get used a lot.

Good Luck.

It also works Great in .38-44 Loads.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Are the throats on the GP100 and BH long enough to seat in the groove? I know they’re not on my 3 screw BH.
    The throats are long enough to seat the bullet in the groove. The GP100 has a little shorter cylinder and the OAL has to be held to 1.640" or slightly less. The Blackhawk has plenty of room. I was hoping to stay below 5 grains of TG. Did anybody find a sweet spot between 3.5-4.5 grain loads?

Boolit Master

One of my favorites!!

I just bought a HP Version mold!!

I also cast up about fifty last night 20:1 to test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C64DAA0B-2BAE-4CAE-9582-FFCE51E7038D.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	256160

Blue Dot is my most used but 2400 & Unique get used as well.

I have some TG but don’t much use. Sorry.
    CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Elmer knew what he was doing when he designed this boolit. It is the most accurate boolit I have ever shot @ 100 yards out of any of my .357's revolvers. When the distance starts adding up, this boolit really performs.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Like so many things in our sport, the answer is: It depends.
    I don't have any first hand knowledge with the 358429 and a Blackhawk, but my version of the Lyman 358429 fits my GP-100 when crimped in the crimp groove in .357 brass. Other well respected members have reported otherwise with their guns and molds.
    Manufacturing tolerances stack up, sometimes in a good direction, sometimes not.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Most commentators note that this bullet shoots better when it is driven somewhat faster. Higher velocity is what Elmer intended it to run at rather than target load speeds.

But since accuracy standards are a personal thing, only way to know is to shoot it.

If in 357 brass start around 4 grains of Titegroup and go from there. This would be a +P load if used in 38 brass. This does not take up much space in the case so beware of double charges.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies. I believe I will start with 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, and 4.1 [OAL 1.635"] and see what kind of accuracy I can get at 25 yds.

Sounds like a plan. Please report back with your results.

Boolit Buddy
    I will try to get the bullets loaded today and get out to the range this week. Because of prior engagements there might be a delay.