Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Steiner Military Marine binocular

Boolit Master

Steiner Military Marine binocular

I just came in to possession of an older version of this optic in 8X30. I see they are still made but the newer version looks a little different. Mine are marked Made in West Germany and have a bright red coating on the objective lens. The only focus mechanism is on each eyepiece as are the newer version. Anybody have any experience with this model? After a good cleaning, they appear to have pretty good optics.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    I have a pair, decent glass, focus and forget style, not very useful for picking through brush by varying focus but good clear glass. Mine are circa 1995.

1989 Reunification meant and end to West Germany
    We had Steiner Marine binocular with compass heading display in the Swordfish Fishing Boat. That was in the early 80's
    None better at the time.

Boolit Master
    I have a similar double focus in my 8x56 Steiner Ranger, had them since the 90's. Set and forget.

When the dark comes and bare eyes can't see any more,this glass gives you another half an hour to see. Amazing rugged weatherproof low light binoculars.

Banned

I have a set of predator's. When Steiner first came out they were top shelf optics. They kind of sat on there hands while the rest of the industry made strides. Mediocre any more. I paid like 300 bucks for mine and ive seen 100 dollar glass as good opticaly as those. My leupold mckinnley hds blow them away. The vortex razors HDs I had stolen put both to shame.

Boolit Master
    Have two pairs of the Stiener Hunting 8x30............one marked Firebird, has the red lens coating, with black rubber armoring. Do not care for it, in low light situations. I basically stole them.........then I realized why.

Winelover

Banned
    Individual focus is used on a lot of military binoculars and is preferred for its simplicity and rugged construction. There are fewer moving parts and those parts are stronger in the individual focus models. Center focus binoculars may be slightly quicker to use but they are also more complex to build.

Steiner is one of the better optics makers and probably one the very best when it comes to quality per dollar (value).

As pointed out in an earlier post, there is no longer a West Germany. The inclusion or exclusion of "West" markings on German made items is a good hallmark to establish manufacturing dates.

The Germans have a long history of making very high quality optical equipment.
    The rubber armored, individual focus Steiner's are excellent general purpose binoculars.

And just tossing this out there, 8 x 30 binoculars are one of the best compromises for field binoculars when it comes to balancing size, weight, power. There's a reason many militaries around the world adopted some form of 8 x 30 binoculars as their standard field glasses.