Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: obsidian knife blade

Boolit Master

obsidian knife blade

i posted this on the knife making section, but, it dosen't get a lot of visitors. i just recieved a obsidisan blade that i bought on e-bay. i can drag it across my finger and it does no damage. properly knaped (?) obsidian is the sharpest material known to man. sharper than surgical blades. i'm looking for one of these. any help??

Wonder if you could sharpen the dull blade you have with a diamond stone.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I know a couple guys who could do them. If you have any buckskinners in your area, ask them. If it's like this area, there would be several competent lithic artists. The edge could be touched up on yours.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    to sharpen obsidian; it must be chipped (called knapping which is an art skill). and i live in western Pa., don't think there are any buckskinners. i contacted the seller on e-bay about returning it.

Boolit Master
    The key to knapping obsidian is that it flakes at a 23 degree angle away from the pressure in a circular pattern. Sharpening in a normal matter used on metal doesn't work. Traditionally a deer antler might be used but a nail or a sharpened piece of copper wire is often used. Wear eye protection because splinter might erupt that are as sharp as needles (not often). Obsidian flakes beautifully with none of the heat treatment required by jasper or agate. For dressing and especially skinning, obsidian knives can be almost too sharp and unforgiving since the edge can be sharper than a surgeon's scalpel. Sadly, obsidian is too brittle to be used in a flintlock rifle unlike flint or agate but does produce quite a spark. We had an opal mining claim in Nevada years ago and common opal from it flaked similarly into knives and spear/arrow points (we found a partial Clovis spear point of that opal).

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Also as you knap it the flakes will quite happily poke holes in your pelt, the cuts will just sorta itch till you see the flake sticking out of your hand or leg. (Don't knap without gloves and a rubber lap protector, or at least leather, is my suggestion.) There is a weekly Knapping Class by here and there may be one near you? Worth looking. The instructors at this one have free rock to practice on... Petrified wood also works, makes pretty arrowheads.

If you want to do it yourself, start by going to neolithics and ordering a box of "The Good, The Bad, The ugly" in Dacite.
    http://www.neolithics.com/good-bad-ugly-2/
    Dacite is much like obsidion but easier to learn on. Get tools while your there. Small copper pressure flaker, copper bopper. Watch Ebay for an assortment of antler tips and pieces. Antlet makes good tools.

I also love the HDPE plastic rods sold by Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=HDPE+roun...ref=nb_sb_noss

Inexpensive, you can get 2 long tools or several short ones from a single rod. Drill a hole in the end, slightly smaller than a copper pressure flaking tip. And you now have a tool where you can get some serious pressure on a small point. Or using a belt or strap, strap it into the crook of a knee just tight enough to keep it in place. Place your tip, set the angle, and strike the rod with a mallet or billet. You can get some real nice flakes coming off. Practice on beer bottle bottoms.

Once you start driving fingernail sized flakes off obsidion, you'll see what that scalpel edge talk is all about. But those little flakes are also fragile.

I've mounted a few on small wooden shafts with epoxy and sinew. Mostly for where I need really precise cutting of something like a feather.

Boolit Master
    I don't see a knife making section ????
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    I don't see a knife making section ????
    Its in the "outdoorsman" section right below here

Boolit Master
    Thanks found it
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

A knife that does not cut is not a knife. EBay purchase return it and get your money back. You got had.