MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Sometimes you just get lucky

Boolit Master

Sometimes you just get lucky

A couple days ago I was looking in my storage cabinet to make sure all the large boxes of 38/357 wad cutters are still okay (not too badly discolored and noticed the edge of a zip lock bag so I took a look and what did I find but 8 bags of .440 and .442 round balls (approx. 600!) When I bought my Pedersoli Gibbs 5 years ago from a young fellow in Texas it came with all those round balls. He said all he ever shot with it were short range monthly matches (max of 50 yards) and he was winning all the time so he switched over to 3 gun competing. I thought I have given all those away since I shoot a 540 grain grease groove bullet with it. Since I just molded a bunch of new ones I save them and use these "lost" round balls.
    John

In Remembrance
    Always fun to "find" something you have forgotten about!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    How many grains do you shoot under those bullets in your Gibbs. Also do you know how many grains the young man was shooting at 50 yds? Was he shooting
    those round balls in that rifle with that much twist?

Fly

Boolit Master
    With my 540 grain grease groove bullets I use 80 grains of Goex FFG out to out maximum range of 300 yards. The fellow I bought the rifle from was using patched round balls and was using 45 grains of black powder substitute (forget which). Seemed like using a M134 to hunt squirrels to me but I got a good deal on it and also a bunch of accessories. I am not sure the twist rate at short distances makes a whole lot of difference.
    John