RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereWidenersInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe to shoot this mosin?

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    I sporterized a Czech 98/22 once that had a bad looking bore. I cleaned it then shot average 3” groups @ 100 yards with jacketed handloads. I spent a week lead slug lapping and cleaning with ammonia products. Then it averaged 3” groups @100yds. After 100 rounds or so it averaged 2-1/2” so maybe the pits were getting filled in? Let us know how it does.
    303 guy- I bet that bobbed off Lee will blow the tin roof off the shooting shed with regular strength .303!

Boolit Master
    I had a Mosin that the barrel was pitted real bad near the Muzzle.
    I had to cut the barrel back to 17.5" to get rid of the pitted part of the barrel.
    It ended up shooting great.
    The only bad point was it kicked like a mule.
    And guys shooting 300 Win Mags moved three benches away from me at the range because they couldn't stand the muzzle blast from my rifle with factory ammo.
    Cast loads shot great , and with faster powder like unique and Red Dot the rifle was a great shooter and manageable recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    303 guy- I bet that bobbed off Lee will blow the tin roof off the shooting shed with regular strength .303!
    It would except it now has a full overbarrel suppressor. It wasn't bad with H4227 loads with filler.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlocke View Post
    There is a vague possibility that somewhere in the past your rifle was shot using the old cupro-nickel bullets. To the eye it has a silver metallic color that looks like displaced barrel steel. I am not aware of any modern bore cleaner that works very well if at all, on that particular fouling. One of the electro cleaners might be the ticket. Hatchers Notebook has the Springfield formula for cupro-nickel...evil brew.
    If cupro-nickel is the case then the electric is the ticket . A 1903 I bought was so bad it looked like the bore was chrome plated . Several cycles with a home made electric cleaner got all of it out . It then shot better even with the pits that had been completely covered by the fouling .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

The one thing that might be a concern is the degree of corrosion toward the muzzle. My rusted bores improve toward the muzzle or as the case with my two-groove, is evenly rusted. One of them was rusted more at the muzzle. One day when I get a round tooit, I'll test it to see if it shoots straight. If it doesn't, I'll chop the barrel back. I like short barrels anyway. The bore is not badly damaged.

To me, the only reason to get all the rust out the pits is so it won't rust further.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I used to work for a machinery dealer,selling used dozers etc.....anyway ,they were always looking for some magic additive that would put the metal back on pitted and scored final drive gears.....a whole family of ripoff merchants. People still bought stuff off them to save a couple of bucks on price,and paid thousands when gears and bearings failed .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12