Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Reboring a Remington 14 - Opinions and possibilities

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!

Reboring a Remington 14 - Opinions and possibilities

An old Remington 14 with a poor 25 Remington barrel is available.
    I can get it lined for an all up cost of about USD1000.
    The Remington 14 came out in 4 calibres being 25, 30 and 32 Remington based on a rimless 30-30 and 35 Remington based on a rimless 30/40.
    I would want to use it on hogs and I have a 30-30 with all the gear so this would be a very simple conversion to feed. Considering I have a 30-30 is this worth the trouble?

However I love the look of the 35 Remington.
    Does anyone know if a Remington 14 in one of the others would feed the 35 Remington?

Does anyone know of such a conversion being successful??

Boolit Buddy
    I doubt very many folks anyplace have done this conversion. I would call this guy and ask if it can be done. If anybody can answer the question, he can, and/or he might suggest another caliber.
    http://www.35caliber.com/
    Last edited by reivertom; 12-11-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    25, 30, and 32 rem all share an odd base diameter case around .422". 35 remington uses a .460" base/ because of this it would be very difficult to convert a 25 rem gun to 35 rem. bolt head, magazine diameter, lifter, etc, are all way off. no good chambering comes to mind, especially in light of the prohibition on spitzer bullets.

I'd look for a barrel on fleabay or the like. I just did a quick search and there is at least a 32 rem model 14 barrel for sale. Bidding is $60. A second option would be just having a new barrel turned. Matching the bluing could be an issue but my first call would be to Turnbull for that.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    25, 30, and 32 rem all share an odd base diameter case around .422". 35 remington uses a .460" base/ because of this it would be very difficult to convert a 25 rem gun to 35 rem. bolt head, magazine diameter, lifter, etc, are all way off. no good chambering comes to mind, especially in light of the prohibition on spitzer bullets.
    Thought this would be the case but I can live in hope! well could. Was thinking of 35-30 rimless but CHEEZ

Moderator Emeritus

I own (and love!) a Remington Model 14 -- the 14R carbine version, bearing a 60,xxx serial number which was manufactured in 1918 and chambered in .35 Remington. While, due to it's age I rarely shoot it, it has functioned quite nicely at range -- e.g., I do not carry it as a "woods / hunting" carbine.
    Interestingly, I also have a .30-30 WCF (a Marlin 336) which is my go-to hunting arm. In my neck of the woods, I cannot envision any critter falling to a .30WCF which would not -- assuming, of course, good shot placement -- to the .35 Rem.
    Further, also in "my neck of the woods", any Model 14 in .25 Rem is QUITE rare and collectible. While Model 8 and 14 regularly appear in .30-30 Remington, and the occasional .32 Rem -- .25s are hardly, if ever, seen. Albeit, I do believe I would NOT put one thousand U S dollars in refurbishing one -- just my opinion .
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    And valued it is

I would bid on that .32 barrel online. Rebored to a straight wall 10mm/6.8SPC would be neat if workable, though. In the what if category......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I am not sure what you consider a "poor" barrel, I doubt it is any worse than the one on my 1893 Marlin in 25/36 cal. If you are set up to load the 25 Rem already, then I would suggest an attempt at fire lapping the bore. I did this to the 93 and was amazed at the accuracy results, I figured I couldnt hurt the bore any more than it already was, cast was and still is out of the question, but jacketed are doing just fine. It wouldnt hold a head size group at 25 yards and now it goes into 3 inches at a 100 yds. I did have to counter bore the muzzle out to .264 to get the last inch off the group.. I won several steel silhouette matches (200yd Max range) with it using 100 and 117gr projos that I moly coated heavily to help coat the bore against the expected fouling. Seems to be holding up better than I hoped.

If you opt to try this lapping , the barrel must be Clean, really Clean first, I used the electro chemical Foul Out kit that Outers made, and actually followed the directions....weird huh.. this is a tinkers' project, but a hellofa lot cheaper than your estimated cost to resurrect it in 35 cal. and it may well work for you as it did for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I would have JES rebore punch it out to 30 Remington. Brass and dies are still available.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Lawrence, You might try & find a Rem 760 in 35 Rem. I am enamored of the 35, the 760 is almost the strongest production action for the caliber. It's a pump. Scope mounts are easy to find. Plus you get to keep the 25 Remington Model 14 original. If you really wanna tinker an AR platform will net lots of options. The 223 is great for varmints, then there's the 350 Leg & 450 BM for big boar fun. (pun intended) A lot less expensive to swap around, know what I mean?

Boolit Buddy
    Being in Oz limits what I can get and get done and even who I can contact easily.
    There is also the option to just get a 7600 in 35 Whelan.
    It is not the same but it would be much easier all round.

I thought pump guns were illegal in Australia?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I thought pump guns were illegal in Australia?
    Pump Shotguns are illegal.
    Pump Rifles aren't illegal.
    Makes sense right??

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceA View Post
    Pump Shotguns are illegal.
    Pump Rifles aren't illegal.
    Makes sense right??
    To liberal politicians I'm sure it might.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'd wait for a better rifle to come along . Don't know what your initial cost for this rifle would be but sounds like you will end up with way too much in it if you have to spend an additional $1000.00 US on it . If it's really cheap I'd buy it anyway and shoot it as is , hard to imagine one of those with a truly trashed barrel unless it's bulged .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Converting any of the 25/30/32 Rem cal Model 14 rifles to 35Rem caliber requires quite a number of caliber specific parts to be exchanged.

Right off you need a 35cal magazine tube AND a 35cal Action Bar.
    The Action Bar is the heavy long piece that the magtube attaches to, has the loading gate on it (more parts) and slides in and out of the front of the frame when the action is worked.

The breech block for the 35 Rem is caliber specific. Plus there's 2 different styles depending on what safety your rifle has.
    The Carrier, carrier lever, the loading gate as mentioned already,,the mag followers (front and back). You get the idea.

Does it really shoot that poorly?
    Is the 'smith using a true 25Remington chambering reamer in the $1000 rehab job. Or are they using a 25-35WCF reamer thinking they are the same cart and just not cutting the 25-35 rim.

None of the Remington self loader rifle rounds are exact copys of the Winchester lever action rounds.
    They are close in ballistics. Brass for the Rem rounds can be made from the 30-30Win with the help of a lathe.
    But the rounds are no were near the same in spec.

For $1000 it would seem like another rifle with a better bore could be bought. But I certainly don't know what the price & availability of these is in Australia.

Good luck with your project.
    They are nice rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I think this project will not get the go ahead.
    You are right better off waiting for what I want and hopefully it will turn up.