MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Doing the unthinkable later this week.

Doing the unthinkable later this week.

My dehydrator has been put to use this season and died. A quick internet search suggested it was a temperature sensitive fuse, tested and confirmed this to be the case. Got some replacement fuses ordered and will be in later this week.
    To the unthinkable...
    I have a soldering iron, but no solder. I do have a significant stash of pewter ingots though. Gonna use some to secure my new fuse in place.

Using precious tin for something other than boolits. Blasphemy.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master

He he he
    Good luck
    MAYBE a neighbor has a BIT of soldier
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Well....if you think of it from the perspective of, if I kill it, I eat it....then all is well in the world. It's all about the end game and using all of our resources to our benefit in whatever ways we can. It's a good use of a resource, and good on you for having the knowledge and skillset to employ it.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

My old 1964 Ford kept blowing the fuse for the radio so I stacked 3 pennies and put them in the slot. Desperate times.... about a week later the smell of melting wire insulation helped me find the short:-0

Banned
    Make sure that the wires you solder do not get very hot. The tin will melt and wires fall apart.

The fuse is located right next to the heating elements, but max temp is 160F which yeah, i know means that directly next to the coils will be above that. Just gonna try this first as it seems the easiest way since i have a base knowledge of how to do this.

Just for laughs... before i thought things through i was gonna use some electrical tape to bypass the fuse with a paper clip. Then i decided this would be a bad idea, in addition to not working [for long at least]. Tape is still sitting next to the dehydrator.

Banned
    If that pewter isn’t 60/40 tin/lead it may not melt at the correct temperature for eutectic solder, and could damage your equipment. Proceed, my good man, with caution.
    R/Griff

Boolit Master
    Most solder is lead free these days but what are you going to use for flux? You can't round up a small piece of rosin core solder somewhere? I must have 30lbs of it. Home Depot and HF both sell small coils of rosin core solder for about $4. I have used pine pitch direct from a tree as rosin flux in an pinch.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-We...z18gvgZ1z1a28d

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...0Core%20Solder
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 12-11-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Why not just use some soft lead if you have some?

Boolit Master
    A lot of choices here:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools...-supplies.html

It would be a doggone shame if you ruined the higher cost dehydrator by skimping on the lower cost solder to repair it.

There is a saying that applies, "Never step over a dollar to pick up a quarter"

( or, sometimes folks say a "dime" instead of a quarter. Meaning is the same)

Brits & such might say, "Never step over a pound note(Quid) to pick up a tuppence.".

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Flux is a REALLY good idea when soldering wires, just sayin'

Boolit Buddy

Auto parts stores have inexpensive fuse holders and fuses(i prefer the old style auto glass fuses where you can see element). Internet search can give a temperature switch, which many appliances have. Not sure if your application was a temperature switch or a current limiting fuse -- there is a difference and it is important to replace with correct device.
    My coffee pot(s) use a temperature switch that operates at about 190F. They are easy to replace and < $10, use spade type connectors so no soldering or crimping involved. The 120Vac current to the main element goes thru the switch then when >190F, the switch opens ("snap action"), then a much higher resistance element keeps the pot "warm". When unit cools, the switch recloses and next time we plug in the main element is ready to go.
    Fuses generally do not control temperature but are a protective element.

Boolit Master

"unthinkable"?, why I thought you were going to say you were considering reloading some j-words...

Go buy some real solder and be sure to heat sink the leads when you solder (pliers or something between the solder joint and the fuse body). Hair dryers actually crimp them vs solder. They are a safety device to prevent fire so check that something else isn't wrong.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    "unthinkable"?, why I thought you were going to say you were considering reloading some j-words...
    I did buy some factory ammo yesterday, at walmart. Cause they are trying to get rid of the calibers they do not wish to carry anymore. Was marked down to 2.5 a box of 223. Lady behind the counter acted very annoyed when i said i wanted it all.

Thanks upr45 i knew it wasnt a traditional fuse that limited current, was just using the term that i ran across in my very short research of the problem. Will add temperature switch to my vocabulary. Dad is an electrical engineer and would probably be a bit disapointed if i didn't call em by their proper names.

Buying real solder and flux does seem preferable to using up pewter. even if we are just talking about a few grains worth.

Last time i remember doing any real soldering was about 12 years ago. I do imagine this is going to be like learning it all over again.