Load DataLee PrecisionPBcastcoWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Beer Cans

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Steel Beer Cans

This is just a heads up for those making their own gas checks from aluminum beverage cans. For years I’ve been drinking a brand of beer and always assumed the cans were aluminum. They have the same shape and thickness as aluminum cans, but one day my son picked up a magnet and it stuck right to it. It had the same color as aluminum, but sure wasn’t. I don’t make my own gas checks, but I don’t want others to accidentally use steel for their gas checks.

Boolit Master
    what brand? havent seen steel since 1970

Banned

Same as using non US made ammo. IE... Most of Europe. Heck, Most of the US made military ammo up to a few years ago were steel jacketed. M80 still might be.

I don't know about it since the "move" to Latrobe...but Iron City said they would never use aluminum cans. That was in the 80's. I don't drink beer, but a magnet check seems logical anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    This is just a heads up for those making their own gas checks from aluminum beverage cans. For years I’ve been drinking a brand of beer and always assumed the cans were aluminum. They have the same shape and thickness as aluminum cans, but one day my son picked up a magnet and it stuck right to it. It had the same color as aluminum, but sure wasn’t. I don’t make my own gas checks, but I don’t want others to accidentally use steel for their gas checks.
    What brand ? I haven't seen a steel beer can in 40 years . The old steel beer can that I do have is Jax Beer ... but it's from the 1960's .
    They had cool commericals ... " Jax the beal jeer ! "
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Pull tabs is my guess ; )
    H/D

Moderator Emeritus

I believe Foster's is still in a steel can.
    While Foster's is an Australian beer, the Foster's I buy in MN is brewed and canned in TX (according to the label.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Same as using non US made ammo. IE... Most of Europe. Heck, Most of the US made military ammo up to a few years ago were steel jacketed. M80 still might be.
    Steel cans for beer is rare in europe and I have never encountered one in England. In fact the only time I've encountered one is for Fax lager from Denmark, that comes in 1 litre cans. Unfortunately it only appears at Liddle and only at this time of year. The can is of adequate thickness for gas checks but I couldn't detect any difference in use over aluminium. Considering the effort of cutting the can up and punching the checks, plus the extra wear and tear on the die, I decided steel isn't worth the effort.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Grand Master

I’m in France and the beer is a German economy brand of strong beer. Half a liter of 7.9 %. Actually it came from the same chain store as Andrew375 in the Uk.

I would worry about the steel wearing the bore if used as a gas check. The can looks like an aluminum can. Same shape, not at all like the steel cans of way back when.

I’m away from home now, but when I get back, I’ll post a couple of pictures with the magnet stuck to it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Steel cans for beer is rare in europe and I have never encountered one in England. In fact the only time I've encountered one is for Fax lager from Denmark, that comes in 1 litre cans. Unfortunately it only appears at Liddle and only at this time of year. The can is of adequate thickness for gas checks but I couldn't detect any difference in use over aluminium. Considering the effort of cutting the can up and punching the checks, plus the extra wear and tear on the die, I decided steel isn't worth the effort.
    I was referring to the steel jacketed Military ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Not just military ammo. I have several Norma made boxes of bullets. They are all plated steel jackets. Shoot good though.
    n.h.schmidt

Banned
    Steel cans had some type of plastic coating. I wonder about that on a gas check also.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess if you installed them and PCed you would be safe. As I said before, I don’t make my own. I bite the bullet and spend for the copper ones. I don’t shoot them that much these days. I’m getting into black powder.

The steel used in making cans is a lot softer than that for barrels. Kynoch made steel jacketed bullets for their solid bullet ammo.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm still waiting to hear about what beer is using steel. I'm assuming the OP is in The US
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear about what beer is using steel. I'm assuming the OP is in The US
    see post #9
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    see post #9
    Oh, Ha! I saw the post but thought it was another reply not from the OP. Guess I need to pay attention more
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Banned
    Beer in steel can never seen one for a long time and pull taps. The new kids of drinking age are clues less what a pull tap is.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rickys2 View Post
    Beer in steel can never seen one for a long time and pull taps. The new kids of drinking age are clues less what a pull tap is.
    Or a church key.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Or a church key.
    Yes regular old can opener. The pointy thing many of us had on our key chains. Indeed everyone had one in the glove box, 4 or 5 in the silverware drawer etc.,
    It's like now when people say wow way back when they had rotary dial phones... Some of us had crank phones with 8 other families on the same line. I guess the good old days are going to have to be qualified now as to just when those "good old days actually occurred. hahahahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast