Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: cataract surgery

Boolit Master

cataract surgery

I just went for the last eye check up after my cataract surgery. I went from the chart looking like a white blob to 20-20 with my right and 20-25 with the left. There were no complications or any pain at all. My eyes were a little scratchy after each surgery but were good the next day. It is hard to believe the difference, somebody turned the light on.

I still need readers but that's a minor issue as I needed them anyway. The Doc gave me a prescription with a slight correction for the left and bifocal readers, he said to get them only if I wanted them. Now I need to have the restriction removed my drivers license, it's time to renew anyway.

I haven't shot any yet but I dug out my old Swedish Mauser and looked at the sights across my range, I'm not going to be able to use poor eyes for an excuse anymore.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Just one note which I hope is a throwaway. Usually not mentioned after the surgery, but sometimes folks will have what is called a secondary cataract. They claim it only happens to a very few. But, it happened with me, and I was alarmed until I had it checked out. The Doctors say that sometimes the envelope which holds the new lens may become cloudy much like a cataract. In any event they can fix it quite easily with 5 or 6 blips with the laser. In house and takes 10 minutes or so.

It sure makes a difference, doesn't it! I had both eyes done about 8 years ago now. Immediately after I was seeing like an eagle. Now I can still get by without reading glasses, but they do make reading easier. Since the cataract problem comes about gradually, one doesn't realized how impaired their vision is becoming until suddenly they can see again. Everything about it was amazing, but I think what impressed me the most was that everything was suddenly brighter--the light went from kind of amber to white.

Boolit Master
    I had a doc tell me I needed cataract surgery in both eyes. was all set up.then something he said made me want to get a second option. he said I mite need glasses after he was done. second doc. with 20/20 I did not need surgery.

Boolit Master
    Been having cataracts for years. Doc said start giving some thought about getting the surgery. Only took 2 1/2 years to screw up the courage to get it done. Slight vision correction for distance yet will still need reading glasses. No more cloudy vision and can now see the iron sights on my Finn M27 & M39 with no problems. I'd say in my case a win win for me as I'm 73. Frank

I never hesitated. I took the first appointment I could get. Went from blind to 20-20. Did have to have the little squirrely things zapped out JoeJames mentioned. Ran into a old friend the other day who had about quit shooting because of cataracts. After telling him my experiences and reading little bitty words on a sign from far away. He couldn't even read them with his glasses on. He said I had convinced him to have it done.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I'm scheduled for surgery on 1/29/2020 for right eye and 2/26 for the left. A bit anxious, will be glad to get it over.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    It sure makes a difference, doesn't it! I had both eyes done about 8 years ago now. Immediately after I was seeing like an eagle. Now I can still get by without reading glasses, but they do make reading easier. Since the cataract problem comes about gradually, one doesn't realized how impaired their vision is becoming until suddenly they can see again. Everything about it was amazing, but I think what impressed me the most was that everything was suddenly brighter--the light went from kind of amber to white.
    My experience exactly!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Buddy
    I've had torn retinas in both eyes. They fixed the tears with a laser, later I developed cataracts from the laser repair. Really not a big deal. The only regret I have is I was talked into a "bifocal lens" for my right eye. Never have been happy with that, I have to wear glasses because of the "bifocal lens".

I'm 45 and had cataract surgery done on my right eye when I was 24. This was due to a tramiitic injury.

(Yes I shot my eye out) with a bb gun whe I was 12

Well damaged it anyway.

I'm getting close again to have. Second surgery on it to replace the lenses and clean up some spots.

It sucked back then I hope its gotten better .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good luck to all you guys and girls looking forward to getting it done. The surgery for me was uneventful and painless, easiest surgery ever. And as for color, eggshell wall paint was brighter than what I saw as white before and my first sight of white and blue was so intense, I was amazed. It is a whole nuther story now when I get the oil paints out on the pallet. My shooting is much better now as well. Still have astigmatism in dominant eye (Right ) and the colored pins on the bowsight look like a Christmas tree. just pick the right color for the distance and use the center one of three and right on.

Boolit Master
    This was I guess a real eye opener for me. When I had the first one I kept closing one and looking through the other amazed at the difference. I did not realize how many here had this done, nice to hear it worked out for most of you.

Rick, If yours works out like mine it will be a breeze. The surgery lasted about 20 min. I was given an IV with something to relax me. My eye was a little scratchy for the first day and was so dilated that I looked like an owl till the next evening. No pain at all and well worth the results.

Dave

Boolit Master

I sure hope it does well for me...getting right eye done tomorrow afternoon. At the moment I see very little with rt eye and its through a yellowish fog kinda like smoke from a grass fire.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."