MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Original Trapdoor?

Boolit Buddy

Original Trapdoor?

I'm no expert but have owned and looked at a few Trapdoors but never seen a breech like this... Not counting the chunk of wood missing... That ledge or step on the rear of the receiver I've never seen before and there's no serial no. The breach block is an M73 and it has what looks like a M79 rear sight.

The barrel is about 30" long... Could this be a Cadet rifle?

Stock has been cut down and the cartouche is dated 1889.

Last edited by tbx-4; 12-10-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely a parts gun with a rifle barrel. A fellow who used to run a trapdoor parts house was infamous for removing serial numbers and restamping them with low serial numbers or those serial numbers believed to be in the "Custer" LBH range. He was put out of business after losing a lawsuit. Apparently some of his 'scrubbed" actions and rifles were sold in the aftermath. Perhaps this is one?

On the picture of the barrel you can see where the full length stock came to. Notice the ejector is in crooked also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Definitely a parts gun with a rifle barrel. A fellow who used to run a trapdoor parts house was infamous for removing serial numbers and restamping them with low serial numbers or those serial numbers believed to be in the "Custer" LBH range. He was put out of business after losing a lawsuit. Apparently some of his 'scrubbed" actions and rifles were sold in the aftermath. Perhaps this is one?

On the picture of the barrel you can see where the full length stock came to. Notice the ejector is in crooked also.
    Larry,
    OK, I figured it's probably a parts gun but the step or ledge on the rear of the receiver is not on any Trapdoor I've seen. Did someone make after market receivers back when?

And the barrel is cadet length, 30" not rifle length, 32 5/8". and the front sight and stock wear marks look original and I'm wondering if this is a cadet receiver and barrel?

A correction, the breach block and rear sight are both M73 type. Again, I'm wondering if this could be a restocked M73 Cadet rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, mystery solved.

Al Frasca from Trapdoor Collector just informed me that the receiver is from either an M68 or M70 with a 45-70 barrel screwed on. Yes, maybe a cadet barrel but like Larry mentioned a parts gun. Al says it's a typical Bannerman Special.