RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise here
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: 350Legend.......Blessing or Curse!!!

  1. #21
    Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,314
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Americans never support a 357 rifle cartridge. Why would any company feel obligated to go down that road again. It makes sense to use 9mm tooling. It has to be much easier to change over a 9mm bullet press to a 350 legend bullet.

    357 is the death warrant to a cartridge...

    I seriously believe that 357 anything is dying for commercially loaded ammo. In 20 years if your shooting 357 mag you will be handloading it
    Does that include the .38 Special? Will it be moribund as well? Might need some Windex on that crystal ball.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Boolit Master
    GARD72977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    TUPELO MS
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Does that include the .38 Special? Will it be moribund as well? Might need some Windex on that crystal ball.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    It does not take a crystal ball to see that there is very little 38spl or 357 mag being loaded. Expect prices of 9mm becoming more competitive(cheaper) and 38/357 getting more expensive every year.

    It may not become obesolete but it will be so expensive that people will stop shooting it.
    " If you cant do it with a 308 , you dont need to do it!

  3. #23
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Well whether it is good or bad probably isn't worth worrying about all that much. it was primarily developed to be used in those states that allow only straight side cartridge cases and guns to be used. All they had prior to the .350 Legend was the .45-70 and others like it (.45-90,etc), the .450 Bushmaster, and the .357, .44 magnum rounds. Granted there are the wildcat cartridges too. But people want to buy off the shelf ammo from their gun stores. Anyway it was designed to be a short range cartridge in those states that limit one to straight sided cartridge case calibers and for semi-automatic rifles too. it offers less recoil than the 450 Bushmaster and the .45-70 too. Thus it is attractive to quite a few people. There are also a lot of people that don't want to have the higher recoil effects or they can't handle it anymore for that matter. The .45-70 is quite brutal in the small lever action rifles and the lightweight single shot rifles.
    Let's not forget the 38-55. A wonderful, light recoil cartridge that's superbly accurate!
    So many toys........so little time.

  4. #24
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    It does not take a crystal ball to see that there is very little 38spl or 357 mag being loaded. Expect prices of 9mm becoming more competitive(cheaper) and 38/357 getting more expensive every year.

    It may not become obesolete but it will be so expensive that people will stop shooting it.
    You can buy Tula .38 Spl for under 18 cents a round on Ammoseek. Yeah that's about 1/3 more expensive than 9mm but not horrible. The prices have actually come down on it since I was buying in the early 00s. I'd spend 18-24 bucks a box for blasting .38 SPL. You can get .357 JHP for about 15 bucks a box. That's really comparable to virtually any HP 9mm ammo and with the extra velocity in a 4" gun you'd probably be at an advantage in terms of consistent expansion.

    No it's not 9mm cheap but at the same time I doubt it's going anywhere. I mean think about how many companies have actually come out with new or revisited (Colt) revolver designs in the last decade? There's been several in a variety of price points. Armscor makes a .38 Special revolver in the $225 range and that says nothing of the Kimber K6s. Revolvers will probably also weather political hazards for longer than semi autos will too in certain states and cities.

  5. #25
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Americans never support a 357 rifle cartridge. Why would any company feel obligated to go down that road again. It makes sense to use 9mm tooling. It has to be much easier to change over a 9mm bullet press to a 350 legend bullet.

    357 is the death warrant to a cartridge...

    I seriously believe that 357 anything is dying for commercially loaded ammo. In 20 years if your shooting 357 mag you will be handloading it
    if that is true then the .35 Remington should have gone away a long time ago, as should have the .35 Whelen too. Both are still hugely popular as brush gun cartridges for shorter ranges in certain regions. Heck, one of the companies recently started manufacturing lever action rifles in .35 Remington too.

  6. #26
    Boolit Buddy McFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    I'm sure they'll listen to "Reason"
    Posts
    273
    Just a glance at offerings at Midway, there are 165 offerings between 38spl, 39spl+P and .357 magnum. There are 192 offerings for 9mm Luger/9mm+P. I don't think the wheelgun cartridges are going anywhere anytime soon, politics notwithstanding.
    Last edited by McFred; 02-18-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: can't type.

  7. #27
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,037
    Years ago, I remember the cheap handgun centerfire cartridge to get for shooting was the .38 special. Just about everywhere had some for sale cheap. 9mm was quite expensive to buy at the time. Then later semiautomatics became ever more popular and one day 9mm wound up being cheaper to buy. Today since semiautomatics are so popular the 9mm's are the inexpensive ammo to buy while .38 specials wound up being expensive in comparison.

  8. #28
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    315
    This was a 350 Legend Thread..........Where did it go to .38 Spl/Mag
    So many toys........so little time.

  9. #29
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,037
    I think that there is a place for the .350 legend. It has a straight case design, thus making it legal in those states with special hunting rules for .35 caliber and up guns using straight cases. It has less recoil than other calibers like the .45-70, 450 Bushmaster, etc. Plus with more mild recoil, less muzzle blast and flash more hunters who are averse to the bigger calibers willlike it. Some people always want the latest and greatest anyway. But it would work in AR's too and may even work with existing magazines since the cartridge case is derived from the .223 case. it uses pointed bullets like the .450 Bushmaster does but it looks more like a smaller cousin to the 450 Bushmaster cartridge. Those pointed bullets tend to help its downrange ballistics some too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 02-19-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo

  10. #30
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North central Ohio
    Posts
    1,006
    FWIW, the 38/357 are still ranked in the the top five most popular calibers being manufactured. This is according to the NRA. And yes, this is a 350 Legend thread. I wrung one out during the past Ohio deer season. A Ruger, it worked just fine, one shot at 150 yards, the doe walked about ten feet and piled up. Buddy of mines Granddaughter collected a doe and a real nice buck with one during the Youth hunt. It took me sometime to warm up to the round after all the overblown hype that the big W was pumping out, but curiosity got the best of me. I'm still no better than lukewarm towards the round but it does do what's expected at reasonable ranges. I'm not ready to retire my 45/70 or my 450 just yet, but for someone that's recoil sensitive or your 12 year old Granddaughter it might just fill the need.
    Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.Ē

    ― Confucius

  11. #31
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,293
    I have refrained from reading any of the marketing slop, it turns me against the round just cause. I am interested in what folks are seeing with the 200RCBS and it’s clones out of the Ruger American. Not interested in the lightweight gummy points or whether it feeds in an AR, just real experiences with a reasonable cast bullet from a cheap but respected Ruger bolt gun. Really need this like another hole in my head, but it’s interesting.
    ďYou donít practice until you get it right. You practice until you canít get it wrong.Ē Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

  12. #32
    Boolit Buddy fastdadio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pinckney, Mi.
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have refrained from reading any of the marketing slop, it turns me against the round just cause. I am interested in what folks are seeing with the 200RCBS and itís clones out of the Ruger American. Not interested in the lightweight gummy points or whether it feeds in an AR, just real experiences with a reasonable cast bullet from a cheap but respected Ruger bolt gun. Really need this like another hole in my head, but itís interesting.
    Just go back and read up on the successes of those shooting the .357 max. It works well. You know it does. My son bought a new Ruger American in 350L. Went out and dropped 3 nice deer shooting factory 150's. All of them complete pass throughs and DRT. I helped him recover two of them and of course, had to closely inspect the terminal damage. Both left approx. 3/4" exit holes with no blood shot meat. For those of us that are hunting in the restricted zones, this cartridge is the best thing to come along for as long as I've been hunting.

  13. #33
    Boolit Master northmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern MN
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Just go back and read up on the successes of those shooting the .357 max. It works well. You know it does. My son bought a new Ruger American in 350L. Went out and dropped 3 nice deer shooting factory 150's. All of them complete pass throughs and DRT. I helped him recover two of them and of course, had to closely inspect the terminal damage. Both left approx. 3/4" exit holes with no blood shot meat. For those of us that are hunting in the restricted zones, this cartridge is the best thing to come along for as long as I've been hunting.
    I have an old 35Rmeington and have no reason to buy, shoot or use a Legend. However I do not criticize its use for those that cannot use normal rifle cartridges in their zones where they hunt deer. Making cartridge specific bullets also makes a lot of sense. 357 bullets are designed mostly for pistols and as I have a little Rossi in 357 I can say that many bullets are not best used in the rifle as they are a bit fragile. So you have a rifle cartridge that uses dedicated bullets for its particular used. The lighter pistol bullets can be used I suppose for varmints. The 30-30 is another example of a dedicated cartridge/bullet combination as a whole line of bullets are made just for the 30-30. It has worked well for my daughter and me for deer because of that. Most 30 cal bullets are made to be used in everything from the 308 to the 300 mags. I used a 300 Savage for a bit and found the some bullets were a bit stiff for it. Hornady makes a 150 grain bullet designated for the 300 Savage and I will try them as my daughter now uses a bolt actin 300 Savage.

    The 350 L is a niche cartridge. I can hunt with any rifle I enjoy and see no use for one. In its niche I can see its use. Winchester has this thing about stating best use for its ammo and says it OK for elk where more powerful cartridges are listed as best for deer. Strikes me as a bit of hype.

    DEP

  14. #34
    Boolit Buddy fastdadio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pinckney, Mi.
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I have an old 35Rmeington and have no reason to buy, shoot or use a Legend. However I do not criticize its use for those that cannot use normal rifle cartridges in their zones where they hunt deer. Making cartridge specific bullets also makes a lot of sense. 357 bullets are designed mostly for pistols and as I have a little Rossi in 357 I can say that many bullets are not best used in the rifle as they are a bit fragile. So you have a rifle cartridge that uses dedicated bullets for its particular used. The lighter pistol bullets can be used I suppose for varmints. The 30-30 is another example of a dedicated cartridge/bullet combination as a whole line of bullets are made just for the 30-30. It has worked well for my daughter and me for deer because of that. Most 30 cal bullets are made to be used in everything from the 308 to the 300 mags. I used a 300 Savage for a bit and found the some bullets were a bit stiff for it. Hornady makes a 150 grain bullet designated for the 300 Savage and I will try them as my daughter now uses a bolt actin 300 Savage.

    The 350 L is a niche cartridge. I can hunt with any rifle I enjoy and see no use for one. In its niche I can see its use. Winchester has this thing about stating best use for its ammo and says it OK for elk where more powerful cartridges are listed as best for deer. Strikes me as a bit of hype.

    DEP
    Agreed, it's a niche cartridge for sure. It was designed solely to fill a role and be sold to a market that truly has a need for it, and sales figures prove that market/need is real. I too read Winchesters sales hype and gave it about as much consideration as I would a sales blurb from any mfr. which is not much. The proof is in the pudding, the cartridge is a dandy little performer for deer size game out to about 150 yards, which is all it was ever meant to be. Would I use it for elk? Nope. Would it drop an elk? sure it would within it's usable range. So would a few other lesser cartridges, but that's not the point. We'll never really know, because there are no elk roaming to be legally hunted in the restricted rifle zones.

  15. #35
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    4,065
    If I had to use a straight walled cartridge, the .350 would be high on my list of possible choices. About the same trajectory as the .450, adequate bullet and energy for deer/bear, and less recoil. I am not sure if it will last so I would purchase 250 cases and 500 of the proper bullets for hunting....basically a life time supply. It is a hunting rifle...at least IMHO. If I want to bang away I have the soon to be obsolete .357 rifles that use cheap brass and cast bullets. (Thank goodness I have 5000 cases for these soon to be obsolete rifles and pistols)

    There is a niche for it and it fills it well. Keep in mind, most people do not reload and even fewer cast. The caliber was not designed for cast bullet shooters but it will be no different than another cartridge to cast and load for.
    Don Verna

    NRA Endowment Member

  16. #36
    Boolit Buddy fastdadio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pinckney, Mi.
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If I had to use a straight walled cartridge, the .350 would be high on my list of possible choices. About the same trajectory as the .450, adequate bullet and energy for deer/bear, and less recoil. I am not sure if it will last so I would purchase 250 cases and 500 of the proper bullets for hunting....basically a life time supply. It is a hunting rifle...at least IMHO. If I want to bang away I have the soon to be obsolete .357 rifles that use cheap brass and cast bullets. (Thank goodness I have 5000 cases for these soon to be obsolete rifles and pistols)

    There is a niche for it and it fills it well. Keep in mind, most people do not reload and even fewer cast. The caliber was not designed for cast bullet shooters but it will be no different than another cartridge to cast and load for.
    True. I live and hunt in a restricted area, and I have no real intention to buy either a 350L or the 450BM. Mainly because I've knocked down a small box car full of deer using my obsolete side lock muzzle loader and my .44 mag Bisley. They still get the job done. Honestly, I've hunted with my muzzle loader for so long, and taken so many deer with it, that to buy and hunt with any other rifle would feel like abandoning and old friend. Just wouldn't be right.

  17. #37
    Boolit Master



    cwlongshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Connecticut
    Posts
    2,014
    The ORIGINAL CAST BULLET LAUNCHER!

    CW
    NRA Life member ē REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.

  18. #38
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Minne-Snow-Ta!
    Posts
    222
    I managed to call in a Coyote last week(?) and used the LEE C358-200-RF cast boolit, powder coated, to take it down cleanly at 75 yards with the Bear Creek Arsenal AR chambered in 350LGD. I found a pic online showing a very good representation of where I hit it (I don't carry my cell phone in the field).

    I am loving this cartridge using cast boolits and handloads so much, the IRS is getting a $200.00 payment for a tax stamp so I can take more Yotes' without the fear of hearing damage.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00small28588911[1].JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	257273

  19. #39
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    42
    I have a .350 Lgd in an AR15 platform and cast boolits for it, 180gr GC mold from Accurate. It is a niche caliber though really for those poor states that have to use straight wall cartridges. The 450BM folks say is just too much of a good thing for some shooters so this is a good alternative for them. I've shot 200 WFNGC boolits from Cast Performance up to 1950fps and my cast 180gr bullets with GC up to 2100fps. I live in GA and am not limited to this for hunting but always wanted an AR15 in something bigger than 5.56 and this seemed to be a good chance to try something new. I haven't really shot mine for accuracy yet and the heavier 200gr bullet moves around in the magazine so you can't get more than about 4 shots without a jam.

    All in all, I think it was a fad for me. I'll end up selling the Accurate mold, pulling the barrel off the upper and buying a different barrel one day soon.

  20. #40
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Longview, Washington
    Posts
    717
    I see it as a blessing for those who want less thump the 450 bushmaster in states where requirements for straight wall cases , I have 2 uppers and may buy the ruger also to shoot , I like to have fun and some of these fit a niche where I do not have a 35 caliber like the 35rem . The fact it goes on a ar is another add on to a platform which if you choose can be swapped so easy so there is a plus there , Would love to see a bolt gun set up to swap like a ar and all the uppers and barrels as cheap to get . So if it works and fills a space in your caliber ,power speed or state allowed legal then what is wrong with that , I plan on a mold or 2 for it my own design as I know what my specific size needs to be and what I want to do with it , another load to work on and something to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check