Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Taylor's Chiappa 45 colt huntsman

Boolit Mold

Taylor's Chiappa 45 colt huntsman

First time posting, read here a lot. Thanks to all for the great information found here.

Picked up a Taylor's Huntsman 16" barrel made by Chiappa. Initially had an issue with the bullets feeding properly. Turned out the 1.65 oal bullets were a little to long. Made some dummy rounds and found that the LFNGC lbt mold bullets fed perfect if under 1.62" oal.

Linebaugh's 13gr HS-6 under the 260gr hard cast lbt LFNGC bullets shot .7" at 25yds after sighting in and fed flawlessly. The Lipsey's 3.75" barreled Bisley Blackhawk shot about an 1.25" with the same load at 25yds. Very pleased with both.

Merry Christmas

Hi, az mule packer, and welcome to the Castboolits Forum. I also have a Chiappa .45 Colt, but with the 20" barrel. Very nice rifle.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you,

I'll be trying it out on some hogs after Christmas and will report back.

Vendor Sponsor

That Chiappa is one of almost the only 45 Colt leverguns made with a decent twist rate for heavy for caliber cast boolits, 1:20" everyone else insists on a 1:38" twist which will work with the heavies, but they need a LOT of spin to stabilize and you have to shove them pretty hard to get 100 yard groups that are acceptable. Yours should be a piece of cake with standard loads and also some tier two loads with 300gr WFN style boolits. These would be the hog hammers, enjoy!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

One reason I bought a Henry BBS in 45 Colt is that it has 1-16 twist.

Jedman

Super Moderator

..............I have this early Miroku 92 in 45 Colt. I was surprised to discover that it has an 18" twist. It handles heavy (300gr) slugs well.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Wow now that a beauty Buckshot!
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

1:18 as well on my Win/Miroku 92 in 45 Colt. With my rifle shooting fat .460” bullets it tells me Miroku ran some rifles using barrels intended for 45-70 and chambered them in 45 Colt. Not unlike what rifle manufacturers do with 44-40 and .44 Rem Mag.

Boolit Bub
    Colt Huntsman ?
    My Dad has a Colt Huntsman - first gun I ever shot.