RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: tire question

Boolit Master

tire question

We bought a 2018 Buick Regal TourX two months ago. It had 16,000 miles on it. Nice car, kinda like a station wagon. All wheel drive. Anyways, after a recent snow storm, the car started shaking at 50+ MPH. Probably snow and ice in the wheels. So I went to the carwash twice and did a good cleaning job. Still shook. The dealer let us keep the car in their heated garage overnight to melt the ice. Next day, it still shook over 45 MPH. The dealer kept the car and told my wife yesterday that they were replacing two tires that were "out of spec and couldn't be balanced." OK, great. But, what would make two tires go "out of spec" and need to be replaced? The tires were covered this time but they won't be the next time it happens (if it does).
    I have the feeling the dealer isn't telling us the whole story.
    Alignment problems, suspension problems? Any ideas?

It's a Certified Pre-owned with a lot of the factory warranty left on it.

Boolit Master
    Unless you hit some bad pot holes tires don’t go out of spec so to speak that quick. I been in the tire business for over 20 yrs. Then on top of it having two tires.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm thinking its a possible tread separation.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I'm thinking its a possible tread separation.
    ...and the dealer didn't want to tell you he used retreads.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    It's good that the dealer is replacing the tires but they were fine (or seemed to be) and then after the storm they started shaking. The said the other two tires are fine. There's no history of the car being in an accident. I'll pick their brains more when I get the car.

Boolit Master
    Had the same problem with a minivan,55-60 mph shook like a belly dancer on speed scared the living daylights out of me and my wife new tires solved the problem. For backup info though not the same company look up "Jeep death wobble"

Boolit Master
    I just talked to the service department and the girl told me that the tires came that way - they had a defect in them. I'm still scratching my head. Two defective tires but the car is Certified Preowned and all that. At least they're taking care of it, for now anyways.

Boolit Bub
    You purchased a Buick did you really expect to have a daily driver?

Boolit Grand Master

Possibly knocked the balance weights off and when they checked them, the tires didn’t meet spec for runout so they could replace them, get paid by warranty and make the customer happy? Thank goodness all my local guys have treated me well and fair with car repairs. Even under warranty except on a 2015 Nissan Armada that they couldn’t get the vehicle fixed, but I’m not going there. It wasn’t for lack of trying.

Banned

I live in big snow country. In 2014 I bought my wife a new buick verono. What a pita! At least once a week the wheels would get packed with snow and shake so bad you about couldn't drive it. Then the wheel wells were so tight to the tires that they would pack full to the point you couldn't even steer lock to lock. Drove that car one winter and the following fall traded it in on a jeep jk and gave me wife the Silverado to drive to work (im retired) She said she feels so much safer in that truck when the roads are slippery or in a storm and just sitting up higher gives her much better vision. Problem lies in the aerodynamics needed today to get mpgs. Seems that tight wheel wells don't have drag and those very low profile tires have your wheels in the snow if theres only 2 inches of snow on the road. It isn't just your buick or mine. Buddy has a mechanics shop and said every day in the winter he has people coming in with cars with severe shake. He sends them to the car wash. He said anymore in the winter if someone calls to schedule a tire balancing he first asks them if they've cleaned the snow off there wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    We bought a 2018 Buick Regal TourX two months ago. It had 16,000 miles on it. Nice car, kinda like a station wagon. All wheel drive. Anyways, after a recent snow storm, the car started shaking at 50+ MPH. Probably snow and ice in the wheels. So I went to the carwash twice and did a good cleaning job. Still shook. The dealer let us keep the car in their heated garage overnight to melt the ice. Next day, it still shook over 45 MPH. The dealer kept the car and told my wife yesterday that they were replacing two tires that were "out of spec and couldn't be balanced." OK, great. But, what would make two tires go "out of spec" and need to be replaced? The tires were covered this time but they won't be the next time it happens (if it does).
    I have the feeling the dealer isn't telling us the whole story.
    Alignment problems, suspension problems? Any ideas?

It's a Certified Pre-owned with a lot of the factory warranty left on it.

Boolit Master

sometimes the steel belts break in the tiers will make your car shake had it happen
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I worked for both GM and Ford as a quality engineer and quality manager in their manufacturing plants. Neither company has anything to do with tires other than putting them on the car. Contrary to popular belief, the DO NOT put sub-standard tires on new cars. For a lot of years now the auto companies have been putting quality tires on all the cars and trucks they produce. The tire companies are responsible for the tire warranty on new cars, not the dealer. If you bought this car used and it had the original tires on it, that's probably a lot of your problem. It could be that the original owner never rotated the tires or rotated them improperly. The dealer would check the tires when they received it for tread depth and obvious defects and that's about the extent of all they'd do with the tires. Being a used car they took care of the tires for you because the tire warranty isn't transferrable. Kudo's to the dealer for doing the right thing. I'd suspect you have some belt separation and/or you lost the balance weights somewhere along the line in the ice/snow storm. There is no reason in the world to equate the tire problem with being a vehicle problem as long as the tires are in alignment when installed new. If you have a tire wobble after putting new tires on and the tires are in alignment, you have a problem with a suspension part on the car. I'm sure your dealer checked this, but you can ask them to check it being under warranty. It won't take them long to check things out in that regard.

Boolit Master
    You purchased a Buick did you really expect to have a daily driver?
    Well, yeah. I've had Buicks before...and Fords, Chevys, Jeeps, Lincolns. It's not like I had great luck with all my other cars and now suddenly I have a terrible Buick problem. Planned obsolescence is the key phrase for most items - washers, dryers, refrigerators, prostates (well, maybe not prostates). Things are purposely designed to last only so long. I'm just glad the dealer is making it right. I think it's possible that only one tire is bad, and they're replacing both. I'll have to clarify that when I get the car.

Boolit Buddy
    If new tires dont cure the shakes check for bent rims. Low tire pressure and a pothole can bend a rim.Wife did that with low profile tires. (Riding with her you get a stress test for free)

Boolit Master
    FWIW, with AWD or 4WD you can't replace just one tire. They all have to be the same diameter. You can get away with a thousand miles or so difference, but after that you'll run into some problems and can get a noticable "chatter" or "bump" which over time can ruin parts.

Boolit Master

^^^^ the above is correct. you want 4 new tires, as with mileage on the other two ( wear, change in diameter), you can and will damage the driveline.

Boolit Buddy

Check the air pressure. My car used to shake and it was different pressures in front tires.

Boolit Master
    Sorry didn’t catch that it was a all wheel drive. Tires has to be replaced at a whole set. Not just one or two at a time. It will mess up your transmission over time.

Boolit Master
    Not quite true, from the owner of an AWD there is an allowable tolerance side to side and front to rear for tire diameters. In most cases if forced into a over tolerance mismatch the unwritten practice is to put the "new" tires on different axles and allow the differentials to accommodate the mismatch, differentials just behave like the car is in a constant turn. That is also how AWD cars can get away with driving on a generally smaller spare without scrapping the driveline.

Common practice though is to replace the set to avoid all this.

Boolit Master
    The dealer insisted that we don't need four new tires, but we could buy two more if we wanted to. OK, with that in mind, let's say the dealer puts on two new tires and I go elsewhere to get the other two. As long as the sizes match, does the brand matter?

I just called a local tire dealer that I've known for a long time and he said that with alot of new AWD cars, you can get away with replacing only two. He said they often call the dealers to make sure. He said it will say right in the manual.
    Last edited by Battis; 12-10-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast